1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Number of Times Reloading Hulls

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Hyperlight66, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Hyperlight66

Hyperlight66 TS Member

I read all the talk about this guy who reloads his hull X amount of time, and that guy who reloads this hull X amount of times.

How does everyone keep track of how many times hull has been reloaded?

I'm in the camp that reloads them tell I can start seeing cracking at the base of the crimp or some other failure.

big kahuna and Saxman thanked this.
  2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Yep, shoot'em until crimp goes to pot or side cracks.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't let hulls get to the cracks-and-splits stage. With as many hulls as I have, I don't need to. I DO keep all 25 hulls from one box together from the first loading to the last (after I shoot 25 I re-box them and put them in an empty wad bag to take home) I date the box on a file label each time I reload it for quality control more than anything. But once hulls no longer open fully after they're fired they've become tired and brittle and I pitch the whole box...usually this happens after about the 5th reload with Remingtons.

joe kuhn, Bigcat, dklees and 2 others thanked this.
  4. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I do my culling on the line . Anything less than a perfect looking crimp area results in hull on the ground . Life is too short to reload junk hulls . I don`t want any surprises while I`m rock & rolling at the re-loader . I have a rather large inventory of once fired hulls . I reload FGM hulls only and sadly do not get as many reloads out of this generation of ribbed hulls as the 1st generation ones . The crimp area fails much faster than the older hulls .

Geoman15, 2llc and dgh thanked this.
  5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use a magic marker. Put a line on the hull by the primer. HMB

OldGoat and gbrendemuehl thanked this.
  6. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

I started using this method many years ago when a good friend of mine gave me about 10,000 once fired Red AA, Silver AA and green STS hulls.

I marked on each box of shells 1st or once fired or new. I labeled the hull storage boxes 2nd Red AA, 2nd silver AA and 2nd Green STS. So after I shot the reloaded once fired hulls they went into the storage boxes that were marked 2nd. After reloading and shooting the 2nd shells they went into storage boxes that were marked 3rd Red AA etc.

If you have lots of hulls it is really easy to keep track of how many times the hulls have been shot. I normally reload shells in large batches like 500 shells to 2000 shells and they are all the same hulls and been fired the same amount of times.

Once I have shot the better hulls 4 times I give them away or toss them. I like to quit using them before they start cracking.

Hulls are so easy to come by, I see no reason to load them more than 4 times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Most of my hulls are stored in printer paper case boxes that have good lids. These boxes hold right at 700 hulls when they are full.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't take much extra time to keep track of how many times the shells have been shot and I don't have to inspect any hulls later on.

midalake thanked this.
  7. TheoShooter

TheoShooter Active Member

I think it's a waste of time to keep track of the number of times a hull has been reloaded. Inspect each hull and if it's good, it's good. Hulls all fail at different times and I've got better things to worry about rather than the number of times a hull has been reloaded. But that's just me, if you feel you need to keep track of it then by all means go ahead.

8. derbyacresbob

I bet you spend more time inspecting each hull than I spend writing on boxes.

mg1polo and midalake thanked this.
  9. TheoShooter

TheoShooter Active Member

I'll bet that if you just write on boxes and don't inspect hulls you might have a problem.

10. 7dot5

7dot5 Member

Keep all previously reloaded shells in one box. Keep a good light pointed on the deprime station and inspect and chuck them in real time. No record keeping as to how many times they have been reloaded. Generally load AAHS which deteriorate fast and are easy to cull out under a good light.

11. derbyacresbob

Nope no problems, I know how may times they have been reloaded and get rid of them before there is a problem.

12. abkeith88

abkeith88 Member

Do you guys see any difference on how many times a hull can be reloaded from one manufacturer to the other? Is there a specific brand that holds up better than the rest?

13. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

+1

14. derbyacresbob

I write the load information on my shell boxes and on my hull storage boxes. Since I am writing on the boxes anyway it takes maybe 3 seconds longer at the most to write 1st, 2nd or 3rd etc on each box of shells and the storage box.

So the time I am wasting to keep 750 shells organized would be right at 1 minute and 33 seconds.

15. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Reloading is all about Accountability and Quality Control,

As long as you have a system and it works for you that's great.

Documenting loads is important.

I load all the gauges, But I only have a single load that I use in each,, Makes it less complicated.

DGH

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I load only Remington and Winchester AA hulls. Remingtons (STS and Gun Club) will easily last past 6 reloads to maybe 10 if I'd let them. AA hulls, on the other hand, start to leak gas around the primers at about 4 reloads and by 6 most have some cracks or holes in them and some of the tubes have swollen enough right above the brass that they get tight in my PW presses' sizing dies (resizing on a MEC Sizemaster doens't fix that). They won't last any longer; Remington is my pick for best life.

Rottiman thanked this.
  17. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

Counting the number of times I've reloaded a hull makes about as much sense to me as tracking the number of times I've worn a particular pair of socks. In either case, I use them until they're visibly worn out and then discard them.

Tripod, Bertmuss and red_barron1976 thanked this.
  18. redfin1956

redfin1956 Active Member

you have eyes? splits in the hull or the crimp. out. otherwise, keep reloading them. I get 10 reloads out of a sts

19. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

+1. You've heard of screw in chokes? Well, I use the screw in ammo concept. If have to screw it into the chamber, it gets ejected on firing. It's sort of Darwinian (or "Butlerian"): Only the strong survive.

20. dklees

dklees Active Member

Although some hulls will last a lot longer than others, poor or weaker crimps develop after 8-10 or so and won't develop consistent pressure. Tests show payload velocity can drop or be all over the place, incomplete powder burn, etc. after 8-10 on the hulls that hold up. It also shows that continued loading, past 10 or so will cause the velocity to drop even more and won't be close to the first few reloads.

After 5-6 I'd toss them even if they can go a few more. No sense in losing what little consistency I have with scores. But to each their own.

OldGoat thanked this.