1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Number of shooters at the Grand????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the actual number of shooters that were at the Grand, not entries, but number of breathing bodies that shot the event?

GneJ

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

3474 Actual Shooters

3. trapshootin hippie

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

what was the #s last year and or prior years

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

2010~~3467

2009~~3436

2008~~2633

2007~~3073

All i could find searching quickly. I have seen the numbers going back alot further but don't know where it was. Its available if you search right.

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Room for plenty more too.

[​IMG]

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

So, $300,000 netted 7 additional shooters ..? How many of them played the $200,000 Lewis option ..? I was told that more people shot more events but you would of thought the draw would of been greater than that ... Something isn't right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Of the 7 additional shooters, 5 played the $200K lewis.

How do I know this? I was standing in line when the 7 additional shooters showed up to cashier, so I asked them.

Scott

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

Very nice aerial picture of the shooting park in Sparta. I would like to see the same view during the week of the GRAND when all the campers and shooters are on the line. Thank you RickN for the picture. Tom

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

11. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

WPT, Scott
    Looks like those seven extra shooters shot an additional 368,900 targets in 2011 compared to 2010. They were busy.

Robert

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Scott will no doubt fill us in, he's right on top of things ... I guess many people figured the additional $200,000 donation might spur some interest in shooters who do not normally attend ... Well, actually I guess it did, seven of them but more people shot more events for the target count to of increased to that extent ... Phil Kiner posted the numbers one day and I cannot find them, not that it really matters ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Donm

Donm Active Member

Hippie why did you want to know? Or are you just wetting a line.

14. trapshootin hippie

Don, well if ya really wanna klnow why I wanted to know, it is because I wanted to know. Is that reason enough to ask a question that ya wanna know the answer to?

GneJ

15. scott calhoun

Bill -

I'm sure you are familiar with the saying "ask a stupid question . . . ". Most of us are smart enough to know that even you could figure out how an increase of only 7 people could account for more events being shot.

I'm not sure why it would make a difference if the same amount of people shot twice as many events or twice as many people shot half as many events. It's obvious from the event entries that the additional $200K caused the people in attendance to shoot more events . . . or maybe you thought that 30 percent of the attendees took up shooting doubles between last year's Grand and this year's Grand.

I could be wrong, but at least I was there instead of pontificating from afar about something I've never seen.

Scott

16. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Bill (WPT) This was on another thread and you know as well as I do that the number of shooters shooting events during this years Grand main week was up -- approximately 20% (depending on how you figure in the extra events).

It is NOT about the number of shooters attending it is about the number of shooters that shoot events. Targets paid for is what puts money in the bank.

And given the fact that pre-lim week was about even makes it more apparent that Lee Ann's Lewis did attract shooters.

In fact Bill, this year's main week was only about 1500 entries less than the last year at Vandalia and if you count the Thursday double event this year's main week entries were virtually even with the last year at Vandalia

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I would have shot the events earmarked for the added Lewis money, but I had to work. I could only shoot the prelim. week. No matter what part of the Grand you can shoot, it is worth the expense and the effort. I hope I get to go back again! (This from a Class D, 21 yard shooter!) Martinpicker

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Phil, If the number of shooters barely increased from last year, and the fee to use the facility is based on targets thrown, wouldn't it make more sense for the Martins to donate their money to the ATA instead of increasing the targets thrown with the added lewis class money??

Whats more important, getting more shooters there, or throwing more targets? What favors the WRSC the most?

This not a slam on Sparta. It's great the Martins do what they do,and it's great to see the target increase, but couldn't the ATA use the money for other needed uses like facility improvement loans to gun clubs, junior shooting, start up new gun clubs, etc.

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: but couldn't the ATA use the

No

20. scott calhoun

The reality of the Grand, even when it was in Vandalia, is that only a small percentage of ATA members attend the Grand. It's something around 10 percent, more or less (35K members, 3.5K attendees). For a large portion of the ATA member population it doesn't matter what is going on at the Grand or what it costs to attend, they won't be there.

There is no fee to use the facility, so it doesn't matter how many people attend. The only fee is paid by each shooter, $3 per event, to the IDNR that runs the facility.

So, getting those that do attend the Grand to shoot more events is good for both the ATA and the WSRC. The ATA generates more target fees, and the WSRC gets more money from the per-event fee that is charged to each shooter. To answer Setterman's question, which is better more people or more targets thrown - the answer is more targets thrown.

Consider that the Martin's might not have been interested in just giving money to the ATA, but rather earmarked it for distribution to the shooters that participate. And, the ATA still still benefits because of the increased entries.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata shooting sparta il
number of shooters in the grand at sparta illinois

sparta illinois trap shooting complex