1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Number of reloadings for AA hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

To start reloading, I bought a box of once-fired AA hulls from the range. About how many firings can I expect from typical trap loads before they need to be replaced?

Assuming the brass stays good, is there any reason to replace the hulls before there is visible splitting of the crimps? If there are a couple of pin holes at the crimps, are they still going to perform well?

I've read two contradictory arguments on this. One said that any damage to the crimps is grounds for immediate disposal. Another argument was from a magazine that showed chronograph results of different loads when shot starting with new hulls and ending with hulls that were so tattered that they wouldn't crimp anymore. The conclusion of the article showed that the hulls give uniform velocities until they split.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I shoot them till they start splitting (or pin holes) at the crimp. Been doing so for 30 years. You'll get 5-8 reloads from AA's, and a lot more from STS's.

3. Questor

Questor TS Member

Thank you for the advice on the STS. I'll keep an eye out for them.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I have reloaded AA up to 5 times. Some will go less. When they start to get black on the ends or split I load once more and discard. This is with old AA cases. If they have changed their plastic since then I dont know.

I have seen some of the worst looking shells used by many shooters. Years ago as now many shooters stretched shooting costs to the limit.

One old man I knew even loaded used wads he gathered the next day after the shoot.

Regards Gerald

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Over the years the quality control for AAs has had its ups and downs. You never know, sometimes the hull splits after the first shot, sometimes after the first reload. The split I'm referring to is down the whole length of the hull. The better AAs split at the end by the crimp, after a few reloadings, this makes getting them in the chamber difficult. If you carry a small hammer to the line you can hammer the slit ones in. HMB

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I discard them when they are a snug fit (caused by the crimp area beginning to split) or after 8 reloads - which ever comes first.

I will not shoot a split hull but many will. Just anal I guess.

Don

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I get rid of them when the primer seal starts to leak and leave soot rings on the monobloc around the firing pin. That usually happens after the third reloading.

Morgan

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I loaded a new once fired 10 times in a row and shot it out the window ( I live in the country) to see how long it would last. It got dirty, but still didn't look that bad. My buddy puts scotch tape on the worn out crimps. I give my old ones to him.

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I usually chuck-em when it takes 2 pieces of duct tape to keep the shot in. .

I've had them go 8-10 loadings with no problems. I load-em as long as I can get a decent crimp.

Jim

10. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I used to have some that I reloaded almost 20 times! Of course, I had scotch tape holding the shot in. From what I understand, they dont get nearly that many loadings from them now. Steve

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Questori Just watch the cases and you can tell when it is time to toss them. When the crimp end is very dirty and split or you see a black ring around the edge of the primer, the hulls have done their job for you.

Pat Ireland

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

If the crimp is not tight,,,and you notice a lot of un burnt a partly burnt powder and soot in the barrel ,,,you loaded it too many times,,,,,,you need a tight crimp for a good powder burn

13. josh b

josh b TS Member

bottom line eatch hulls differnt I shoot em till there so split or the crimps so bad that they shouldent be loaded any more and load the once more for meat shoots or sporting clays them pitch them prices as they are, got toget all the goodys out of everything josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.