1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nuisance Dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DJM, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJM

DJM Member

Does any one know how to make rock salt shotshell loads? Are they likely to actually harm the dog if shot in the rear from 20+ yards? I do not wish to harm the dogs, just drive them away. Are there any other options? Don Miller

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Why not talk to the owner first? That don't work then make a decision to either kill or call the pound. No use to be cruel. If I shoot something it will be a quick clean kill or don't shoot.

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

A pump up BB gun is quieter and could do less damage while getting the point across (to the dog). If that fails hit owner of dog over the head with said BB gun!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Gef one of the Gamo 1200fps pellet guns. Some come with a scope, and will make those dogs jump and run like hell! A couple times and they won't come in your yard again.

5. hoot619

hoot619 Member

That gun will injure the dog, bb gun is best. Firecracker in a pipe with other end capped should scare the hell out of it. Ken

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

A local man here decided to shoot a neighbors dog. He is now in the county jail. Be very careful. I think a call to the correct authority would be a lot safer. JMHO

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The one time I tried loading some rock salt I decided to pattern it on a piece of cardboard and it wouldn't even break the surface. I guess the acceleration was crushing the rock salt into table salt? Come to think of it, it may have been chilled rock salt.

Except for the last sentence, the above is true.

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

40-odd years ago I discovered one evening after school that half our chickens had been killed. My father (an old farmer) immediately said it was loose dogs. He pointed out where they had dug under the door to the chicken coop. Then he said it was certain as anything they'd be back. We secured the door so they couldn't get in again and next day waited for them.

Sure enough, next day two dogs made a beeline towards the coop. They didn't make it. My father called the local animal control officer (or whatever the term is). He was shown the dead chickens and the recently deceased dogs. He took the collars, determined who the owner was and called the guy. The owner arrived, (he lived a half-mile away) all irate and wanting to file charges against us for shooting his dogs.

The officer calmly said he had no complaint coming, that the owner is responsible for any damages caused by his animals, and the owner was obviously negligent in failing to control his dogs. Then the officer turned to my father and asked HIM if he wanted to file charges. Not sure if he meant an offense, or small claims (for the chickens) or what exactly. My father left it go.

Of course, one should try to get the owner to control his dogs, if one can find out who the owner is. But what if the owner fails to do so when warned? Or if one does not know who the owner is, and the dogs are caught in the act?

Maybe common sense is so lacking nowadays that that one cannot protect his property the way we did. If so, I'd damn well shoot any loose dogs causing mischief, bury them and shut up. Note that these were not stray dogs, they were pets that were not controlled. Many dog owners have no notion of the trouble dear old Fido can get into when left running loose.

9. white rattler

white rattler Member

shoot, scoop and shut up. Trevor Dawe.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can make a nuisance situation into a tragic one if you go to the gun before trying all other courses of action. Dog shooting whether justified or not doesn't make for good neighbors.

I would first find the owners and let them know what the dogs are up to. Then with out making anykind of threats to the owner, let them know that you are worried that the dogs will be injured and don't want that to happen. If this doesn't work then take the matter up with animal control or the SO.

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

DJM,,,,what are they doing to be a "nuisance"???

12. DJM

DJM Member

These two dogs are boxers. They have already killed the owners cat and another cat of the dog owners friend. My wife has 3 cats she likes to let out for short times. Once they treed one of our cats. After the dogs killed the last cat the owner told me to shoot them if they were on my land causing trouble. She does not have the heart to put them down herself. I once shot an old farm dog as a favor for a friends mother and will not to do that again. I'd like to scare them away so they do not come back. Don Miller

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

squirt gun with ammonia.

14. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

whatever you do do not sahoot the dog with one of the 1200 fps bb guns. Someone shot my 4 month old lab with one and he almost died because of it. The man shot the dog in in the abdoman are and it almost went all the way to puncture the stomach. if i knew who did it i wouldperdonally take the time to shoot this person in the stomach with a bb gun. The dog has never been the same since. Best solution take a thin stick and whip it across the back of his hump on top of his bottom. It doesnt injure the dog, but it teaches him not to do that sort of stuff.

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Nothing good comes from shooting a dog no matter what the cause. People died in McNeal Arizona this winter over a dog shooting incident.

Jim Brown

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I use a kids model daisy one cocker. The BB bounces off their rump not even breaking the skin but they never forget this little sting. Only one has ever come back and all I had to do was cock the gun and he set a land speed record.

It is the most logic and trouble free solution, no harm to animal,no noise, no arguing with neighbors.

Do not let anyone see you {they will not understand It's harmless} Take a carefull shot broadside only as not to get even close to the head and eyes.
    Do not use a pellet or BB gun that can puncture the skin.

I am a animal lover, but I have had problems with unleashed dogs being aggressive with my little dog while tethered to a runner.

17. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

This is a little off beat but I had the neighbors dogs yapping and chasing each other in my yard. Neighbors were cooperative but the dogs always dug themselves out from under their fence.

Well I had a bunch of bottle rockets, the ones that scream and then go bang. It took two rocket experiences for those dogs to never come back. Mo harm, very effective and funny as hell.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

PS. I have owned this Daisy BB gun since a kid.And would never injure a dog be cause of poor owners.
    I was actully shot with it in the thigh by my best friend on a dare{what are friends for}, left a nice welt but no blood. He also recieved one in return. hee hee.

19. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Killing cats a nuisance?- I'd call it great service to mankind.

20. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

Dogs running free are a nuisance, but your cats running free are not? Cats running free, or " let out for a while" breed, kill birds and shit in someone else's yard. In South Texas we have a tremendous problem with irresponsible dog and cat owners not confining their pets. In urban areas Animal Control is the best first option. Ammonia diluted in water in a pump up squirt gun has good range and is effective as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nuisance dogs coming in my yard

nusance dogs coming in my yard