1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA's Silence

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by johnhefley, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

NRA

Sent this morning to the NRA on their website:

Dear NRA:

I have noted in the aftermath of the CT shootings that the NRA has been conspicuously silent.

I'm not sure it's smart, useful, or prudent to enter the national debate on the news networks at this stage. However, SOME statement by the NRA might be worthwhile.

Like the rest of America, NRA members and shooting enthusiasts remain in shock and horror over the senseless murder of innocents in the last week. We're grieving with the rest of the nation.

Could the NRA at least speak for us on this point?

In the recent election, I received many, many calls from the NRA asking for financial support as well as extension of my membership. I not only ponied up for an ADDITIONAL 5 year membership, but I donated money TWICE at the NRA's request.

It's time for the NRA to do something for me - for the rest of the membership - STEP UP, NRA! You are in control of OUR message. And the message right now is that NRA members grieve with the rest of the nation, and that the efforts of Feinstein, Bloomberg, and their ilk to convert this horror into political opportunity is cynical, shameful, and soulless.

John Hefley
    NRA Member 009xxxxxx

2. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

well stated

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Joining in the shrill hysteria of the aftermath would make the NRA as dumb as the know nothing hand wringers and the gun grabbers.

I'll withhold judgement.

HM

4. schneep

schneep Member

Silence is golden, but in this case I think it's wrong

Guns don't kill people, People kill People

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

They will speak when the scum like these calm down a little!!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/18/nra-to-push-back-soon-sources-say/

They had signs made up before most people have had time to grieve and the Truth becomes known!!

To bad they didn't get that worked up over Fast and Furious which murdered thousands of innocence victims and the gang bangers in Chicago!!

6. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

Laws should be made by rational people in rational times, not in irrational times by irrational people...

Yes, I think the NRA should have come out imediately with a comment regarding the membership which are also friends, relatives and neighbors of most all communities are appalled and shocked that this tragedy happened. No words can explain the sorrow we feel for those that were taken from their families and for the families themselves...

Now, because the NRA has been noticeably silent by the press and politicians, a statement now will look as if the NRA has been forced to make a statement, but it still should be done and worded very carefully. Now is not the time to discuss gun laws because this is not a rational time. Let the families continue to mourn as well the the village of Newtown and the nation. Ron

7. ORG

ORG Member

Don't know if this has been posted on another post, but the message is good. There are rumors it was posted on Morgan Freeman's Facebook page, but I doubt he said it.

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
    people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

8. oz

oz Active Member

This is not the time to beat the gun control issue drums now. This is the time to grieve for the children and their families. The problem is not guns. The problem is mental health help.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I think the NRA did the right thing......First and foremost I the NRA showed respect to the victims by remaining silent.

And just how stupid and detrimental do you think it would have been if they came out right away claiming we have out 2nd amendment rights regardless of what happened..

Some of you people play right into the mental aspect of whats wrong with this country!!!!!!!!!!!

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

here you go 812

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_2kvU8Z7p08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does he (Obama)really think he's fooling people. The smart ones anyway.

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

I sent a letter to Obama (waste of cc) our TX Reps and Senators and Feinstein.

I pointed out that fertizer, aluminum and jet fuel killed more innocent people at Oklahoma City and Twin towers than All the mass murders by firearms and nobody banned jet fuel or fertizer.

and then pondered why Hasan (a notorious Muslim) could kill 20+ GI's at Fort Hood and have it described as a 'workforce incident' then the Columbine, VA Tech, Aurora, Portland and Neport shootings were described as 'mass murder' - all the while blaming the latter deaths on semi-automatic weapons rather than 'nutcases'.

I then asked for restraint while sober and thoughtful people contemplated the extraordinary rise in violence over the last 20 years.

Regards,

Bill the curmudgeon

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well Bill- thanks for taking more effort than most

Thanks for your service also

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I remember when a nut job broke into a house and slashed an entire family to death with a knife, children included. It barely raised any eyebrows here. But three people getting shot at a mall incites calls for gun bans.

It's political.