1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by unioncracker, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Granted this has probably been talked about before. After some time of being a non-member I decided to join back up with the NRA. Not much left in the way of fighting for our gun rights. But I receive a new knife in the mail. Made in china. What the h..l is with this. Can't they find something made in this country. Where does it all stop. When everybody lives in a commune,speaks chinese and all they can do is flip hamburgers and look to the government for their every need. What can we americans do, I'll be the first to side with you.

Buddy

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I called them and bitched, they then sent me a Randall #14 attack knife.

3. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

My take is the NRA is somewhat of a microcosm of Congress. They're gonna drive the boat and you're supposed to sit back and enjoy the ride.

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The people running the NRA are making big coin every year. I think it's more about their salary than your rights.

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

The NRA is just like the ATA. We own it and we can determine where it goes. If you want to have much input you will need to do a bit more than making an anonymous post on TS.com.

jim brown

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

What do you expect for $35 dollars (less if you bought a promotional rate) after magazine costs, etc... you want a $20 knife made in USA?! One of the last manufacturers - Camillus, went BK in late 2007/2008 - too few to mention...

Americans want cheap goods and great paying jobs... someone tell me how that works...

NRA is one of the few games in town, even if they don't focus on shotgunning!

regards all,

Jay

7. warren

warren Member

The NRA sure beats AARP and ACLU.

life member warren

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Look around you what is happening in this country. The good/big paying jobs of middle America. Are disappearing and being replaced by illegals and foreigners that will do the same jobs for a fraction of the money.

The NAFTA act has sent most of the jobs over seas so the big industry can make bigger profits.

The Messiah with all his promises of millions of new jobs hasn't produced to many that his news media is reporting. You should plan on getting used to it because I don't see anything that makes me think it will get better anytime soon.

Now I look at your handle and see Union in it. I hope if it stands for labor Union that you realize that the unions at least in manufacturing in this country are as much as of the problem as NAFTA is.

Why bitch about where it was made. Figure that if it had been made here your NRA dues would have to be at least twice what you paid. Before they are able to send you an American made knife.

Bob Lawless

9. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

No I am not associated with a union.Private business owner.The NRA could save the money on the knife and put it to better use than give it to the chinese or find something made in the USA to give away. I enjoy their magazines and need their support to save my guns and sport.

Buddy

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I wrote to the NRA and told them it was shameful to offer ChiCom "bonuses" for signing up. They never responded. I still join, but I have little faith that my voice makes too big of an impact on their decision making process.

11. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I think what unioncracker is saying, is that if the NRA is going to give you something, it should be made in the US. And not necessarily a knife. I know if you renew your membership at certain locations, you can renew for $25. Maybe if you renew for $35, a made in the USA hat would be a nice touch. I would think that you could still find hats that are made in the US.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

NRA is divided into two parts, the legislative/legal/shooting/training functioning, and everything else. Everything else includes recruiting. The big impact you have as an NRA member is numbers. When NRA can show fence walker politicians big voter numbers it can sway their votes on legislation. Second, most of the peripheral functions like recruiting are farmed out to companies that do that kind of thing as their primary function. They know that for every person who gets ticked off about a Chinese knife, 9 will see a free knife and go for it. Marketing to potential NRA members is no different than marketing to anyone else. You go for the most results for the dollar spent, and that means you use the techniques that have proven to produce the best results. They are going after people who respond to bangles and bobbles, the bottom of the bell curve where the masses live, not the narrow elite at the top who are disgusted by a cheap Chinese trinket. So if you are disgusted by some of the stuff that NRA does, such as sending out "pump up" letters that are designed to get you emotionally embroiled and result in a donation, congratulations. You are one of the elite. See that stuff for what it is and make your decisions with the "Senate" side of your brain, not the "House of Representatives" side.

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Yeah, it's only $35.00. You're absolutly right. Add up all the $35.00 checks. Things wouldn't be any different of it were $100.00, probably cry even louder.

Unless you are the owner of a business, I'm all about a fair days work for a fair days pay. I'd like to see those salaries disclosed from that orginization. Being a member will they disclose that info to me? I doubt it.

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

Spanky, just a little looking would tell you that Wayne LaPierre earned $424,000 in 2007.

Sara Brady earned a little under $300,000 in salary and gave 15 speeches with a reported speakers fee of $30,000 to $50,000 per speech. (many of these fees are paid for by Bloomberg, Soros, Pritzker or Lewis).
    So her total compensation is close to a million a year to run an organization that is significantly smaller than the NRA.

I know that Hewlitt Packard pays over $700,000 a year to its Washington lobbyist and starting salaries for a registered lobbyist in Washington is about $300,000.

I do not agree with everything the NRA does, but I also realize that I see a very small piece of the entire political picture. Wayne is not the best of orators and does not fare well on talk shows. He is a great organizer and I have been told is outstanding in making one on one contacts. Our primary strength is in our numbers. Every politician understands that numbers equals power.

We are fighting a war against the anti's. They have a "death by a million small cuts" strategy. One gun a month, required registration, required multi hour gun safety classes, annual licensing, required gun safes, micro stamping, registration of ammunition, limiting ammunition sales to 50 rounds a month, outlawing semi auto rifles and shotguns, outlawing high capacity magazines, outlawing "saturday night specials", outlawing "sniper rifles", outlawing 50 cal rifles, eliminating private sales of all guns, eliminating the right to carry a gun across state lines, closing down gun ranges, making it illegal to store a gun at a private residence.... all of these and more have been proposed (and in some cases passed (at least for 10 years) ) in the last 10 years. Without an organization to represent us, I believe all of these would be the law of the land.

My daughters are in their 20's and they know that this fight is never never over. We need to be organized and smart and eliminate the non productive infighting (some of the pot stirring is done by anti gunners in nra backer clothing). I have a 2 month old grandson and my pledge to him is to do all I can to make sure he can go on a pheasant hunt, sit in a deer stand, shoot a round of trap and punch holes in paper, then go home and smell the sweet smell of hoppe's number 9 as he cleans his guns.

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Nice post tachyon.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The NRA is the only team on our side. Everyone on this forum should belong to the NRA as well as every gun owner in America. I do. Will you join?

17. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Go to the Tulsa gun show (twice a year) and join the NRA or renew your membership for another year and you get in the show free, plus a free hat.

18. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have been a member of the NRA since 1954 and a Life Member since 1976 and I appreciate all that the organization does to help protect our rights to own firearms and enjoy shooting sports. I enjoy the American Rifleman magazine and look forward to receiving it each month. (By the way I have all but about three copies of the magazine from 1954 to date!)

Allen

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My NRA hat is "Made in China". I'd like to see the "Made in USA" label, but it was a FREE hat. If they asked me for a few bucks to pay for a USA made item, they'd have received it. As long as they are putting the savings that they don't spend on premiums to use in our favor, they can give me all the free Chinese stuff they feel they need to. I'd just rather they saved the money and stuck with a free decal.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Quack Shot- Are you sure your hat was free? I got a free hat form my insurance agent soon after I sent in a little over $14,000 in premiums. Free hats are nice.

Pat Ireland