1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA, where are you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shot410ga, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm a decades long NRA member and I would like to know why the NRA has not jumped into the ammo and component shortage debate. Not a word, or at least very little comment. Why? I just don't believe in the government buy-ups or hoarding bull-pucky.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I think the NRA is staying less public, and trying to do more through the legislature behind the scenes. Not sure that's the best way.

The media portrays them/us as selfish bullies whenever on TV, so maybe this method is better.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

what ammo and component shortage? The hoarding by people or the greed of resale of this stuff

A Walmart truck arrives each week and until they put limits on it- people would wait in line and buy everything within minutes of stocking and then resell for 4-10 times the price

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

One article l I turned up using Google.

Not sure if what all you're looking for?

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That was written on Feb.28, 2013. Almost 3 months old, and nothing has changed. It's gotten worse. I was in Bass Pro yesterday. They did not have one bullet or primer on a bunch of long empty racks. Just a lot of tags saying out of stock. Even the odd ball stuff. Look a Midway; They won't even take back-orders. Is this a created shortage to raise prices substantially when the products become available? I think the NRA should do an investigation. After all they claim to be our national spokesman. Is this politics or a scam?

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It is supply and demand

Why do 410 shells cost 70 percent more than 12 gauge-- supply and demand- they dont produce 410 shells all year

When supply outstrips demand by some small margin and temporarily- the manfacturers dont increase production. They dont have the capacity and to gain the capacity for this temporary situaton they would lose money when it is over.

Winchester must be doing ok right now- they are giving rebates on AA shotgun shells

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

It's your neighbors. Go to any of the web auction or classifieds and you can find all the shells and components you want at very inflated prices. That's your neighbors and fellow shooters gouging you. That's how a free market system works, sometimes better than others. I have met he enemy and he is us.

jim brown

8. steve66

steve66 TS Member

This issue is not a NRA problem. The problem is not limited supply. The ammo manufacturers have not stopped producing ammo. The problem is the folks who are willing to pay ridiculous prices sometimes over 200% retail to get what ever they can. Eventually the supply will out do the demand and those who paid big dollars for ammo will be left with it. Just imagine if folks stopped buying ammo for 1 week and refused to pay the hi ammo prices, prices would go down below retail.

9. Nutso

Nutso Member

greed is causing the ammo shortage, at these prices I'm sure the manufactures are cranking out as much as they can.

Also, my understanding is teh US Gov is buying in unprecedented quanities, this creates a manufacturing snag, as it takes up production time.

Ran into a guy how has 50,000 primers, he shoots about 1000 practice targets a year.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The government has an ammo plant (lake city) that produces all it's ammo. It would be wonderful if this was all a conspiracy by obama to keep ammo out of the hands of the public but it's not.

There is no shortage of ammo... Just a shortage at the price you want to pay and that is being caused by the guy to your left and the guy to your right and wait a minute.... Did I buy a few extra rounds myself?Jeff

11. trw

trw Member

Try reading the editor's letter on ppg 8 of the May '13 issue of the American Rifleman.

Too, there are record numbers of people buying firearms and many are new to the world of self defense and shooting in general and it is not unreasonable to think that all want some ammunition for their new purchases. Others are simply motivated by not wanting to run short of what they need to pursue their hobbies, e.g., I know tournament shooters who have bought two years worth or more of factory ammunition just to insure that they have it for the tournaments they plan to shoot. Same may be said for components.

addendum: to some real extent, from what the politicians triggered, you are witnessing a herd mentality, otherwise known as a stampede.

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Supply of gasoline gets short, everyone tops off their tank, and fills back up before it gets low. Shortage is perpetuated by the shortage. I think the same thing is happening with ammo. And it's even easier to store ammo than gasoline. I'm old enough to remember the gasoline shortages of the 70s. I kept a couple 5 gallon cans of gasoline in the shed. We weren't always sure when we would be able to get more. Mark

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

While we're on the subject of "Where?". Where was Obama after 5 pm on "Bengazi Gate Night"? Another mystery, like his birth certificate/college transcripts.
    ;-)

Remember how irate they were when the Secret Service made Dumb Ol' George fly around for a couple hours the morning of 9/11?

Bob Falfa

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

SXJ...

For years I have read about various contracts the USG has entered into to buy commerically made ammo, but have never read about the government making its own ammo... can you please elaborate about the operation in "Lake City"... where is that and what are they producing?!

As far as the present shortages... even a level-headed guy like me cannot not ignore the back-order lead time and forces me to stay in the queue...

I'm running through an 8# ClayDot and sleeve of primers, but I have another 8# and 5K W209 on order... because if I want to shoot, in a six months, I want to ensure I have components...

I'm not a doomsday packer... but practice, leagus, games and a bit of ATA eats up rounds every month...

Last fall the club wanted a wad order for Schoeller Plast steel wads... 1/2 year wait later, with months of no communication between SP and BPI and and we finally get them... so I bought a whole case... can't use a whole case in a year, but I've got them... because I dont know that the next time I can count on timely delivery... and to beg from another guy who may already be getting low creates bad blood...

I've read that manufacturers understand the "temporary" nature of this cycle and are NOT expanding capacity... better to run at max capacity and lose some sales today, than to have unused capacity that will always cost you even in normally good times...

regards all,

Jay

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think the hoarder fueled shortage is about over. I was able to buy a couple of value packs of .22LR from a local retailer last week and our WalMart had Federal Lightning .22LR on the shelves (three box limit though).

The NRA's role in all of this just added to the panic driven ammo buying.

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

spitter ,seriously, never heard of Lake City ammo? I have quite a collection of Lake City M1 ammo from WW2 and the Korean War.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Nothing better than Lake City Match grade .308 ammo from the 70's.

18. beeper

beeper Member

The answer to the original question is - what should the NRA say when their BIGGEST contributors are the ones that are benefiting from thier own self-inflicted shortages and price increases?

beeper

19. beeper

beeper Member

The answer to the original question is - what should the NRA say when their BIGGEST contributors are the ones that are benefiting from thier own self-inflicted shortages and price increases?

beeper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.