1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA renewal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by lots of 24's, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Just got my renewal form in the mail from The NRA. After their speech yesterday, I am not so sure. Been a member a long time. This time, its different. Dont agree at all with making public schools a place for armed confrontations. Dont think guns belong there, good guys or bad guys. I coach two different high school teams. I spend a lot of time there. The school psychologist that was killed was in my class in high school. This time its different. Time for a new approach. I dont think the NRA is going to win this one. If they are smart they will realize this and soften their stance, because if they dont they will lose everything. This time, it's different.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is there a solution to the problem? HMB

3. t7731

t7731 Member

Seems to me that NRA is the only organization that has come forward with a real plan of action. I have a two year old daughter that will be starting school in a few years. Pretty sure I will be much more comfortable sending her if there is a good guy with a gun making sure nobody hurts her. What is the problem with that? Does anyone have a better solution? One thing is for sure, the president's plan to ban this and ban that won't solve a thing.

Mike

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just a thought..you may not agree with the NRA on everything but they are pretty much the only voice of the gun owner given any public attention at all media wise...and though you might consider their stance unbudging and extreme on the conservative side,..thats just a equal and opposite reaction in the gun owners rights tug of war...without them we'd have all been pulled over the edge by the extreme left and totally disarmed many years ago...so if you value your 2nd ammendment rights even a bit PLEASE support them!!! or we'll lose them forever...ask Australia and Canada how their super restrictive laws worked out..HINT: They didn't!! So if y'all are naive enough to think giving up some ground will be enough to satisfy the Feinsteins and Pelosis or Bloombergs...Guess again

5. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

NRA is about our only voice right now. The first failure in the shooting has to go
    back to the mother. She failed to realize how bad off her son was and failed to keep her weapons secured. She did pay for it and I am truly truly sorry for all the families that suffered from this. The gun only did what it was designed to do.
    There is much more involved that just the gun issue. Doctors, friends, ect have to
    step up and also help prevent more of this happening when people are known to have
    mental health issues. It starts at home and grows from there!

Wayne

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know all the ins and outs but I'll bet that the firearms used in this terrible incident were "straw purchased" by the mother for the son. Again, these are my thoughts and a guess. I taught school for a while in the public schools and when a gang fight broke out in the high school between the "Bloods" and the "Cripts" in the school I was teaching in ( it was an horrific fight and made national news) I locked the door to my classroom and had only a piece of a 2X4 to defend myself and 21 children. I would much rather had my 1911A1 and a few magazines to defend myself and the children I was responsible for than an 21" piece of 2X4 and the hope that the door to my classroom wouldn't be breached. Thankfully my classroom made out fine but I never thought there was a need to arm myself to teach school. And I would have been fired for bringing a firearm on the property. And to add to the conservation some of the individuals in the fight were found not to be high school students when things got sorted out. I guess they gained access to the building as it was a "public facility".

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

All the high schools near where I live have armed guards already, as well as metal detectors. I don't know about the elementary or secondary schools.

8. johnboy

johnboy Member

I turned 62 a few years ago and was able to do most of the stuff on line for social security. I had to make one trip to the social security office in the near by town. I was surprised to see armed security in the office.
    Have social security recipients been giving someone a hard time? Part of home land security? I might add that the office is in a small town in the south.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I spend a lot of time there

And, when the shooting starts in this NO GUN ZONE?

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I believe the message is fine but the messinger needs a bit of work. Wayne has a good plan but looks a bit eccentric and his body language sorta wild. I'm sure if Charlton Heston was still alive and delivered that same message the results would be different. We need a new spokesman.

We also need additional security in every school starting today. I'm sure more copycat individuals are planning their day in the sun and taking out one or two sickos before they finish their plan would crimp their style. Do it now!!

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

24-- What is different this time? Do you have any better (or different) ideas? Do you agree with anything that Wayne Lapierre said?

Politicians have placed the most vulnerable among us in so-called "gun free zones", and then relied upon the moral belief system of the populace alone to protect them. While you and I can be counted upon to do the right thing, how does society weed out those whose sense of right and wrong is so far out of whack that they are willing to murder innocents without creating a police state?

The political left almost immediately seized upon this tragedy and politicized it for the furtherance of its agenda of ultimately disarming the citizenry of our country. They have done so shamelessly and attack as "extreme" anybody who disagrees. They are trying to maintain complete control of the narrative so that their gun banning agenda does not receive any objective review or arguement until after they have achieved it.

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Are the "Gun Free" zones working? Are the laws making murder illegal working? The NRA has it correct in stating there is armed security everwhere except where our most valued assets are. My children are grown but I fear for my seven year old grandsons security. I support properly trained ARMED on site responders. Be they teachers or staff. Much has been said about the reason we have gotten to this point, fact is we are there and the NRA is correct in the statement,"the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". Focus on the lawless, not the lawful. Jake

13. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Seems like it would be easier to round up the 20 million mentally ill....rather than the 300 million guns.

14. 548

548 Guest

133 million gun owners in America. 4 million NRA members. Yesterday's press conference is affirmation to the 129 million why they have not joined the NRA. In contrast it befuddles the 4 million why the 129 million aren't following their lead.

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

For the libtards and their enablers, here's why the gun control wanted by the left won't do any good.

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

548- what are you saying? Clarify your remark about NRA membership.

17. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Oh yeah, don't renew. Stick your head in the sand like everyone else and pretend all the new gun laws will fix the problem. But what will you say when the next school shooting happens?

George

18. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

I live in a very low-crime,very high cost of living area just outside of Washington,Dc. Most of the local high schools and some mid schools have armed county police assigned there as "liason officers".
    In Washington,DC most mid and high schools have metal detectors at the doors even though guns are almost 100% illegal...
    Every gov't building has armed guards even though guns are almost 100% illegal in DC.
    The area around The Pentagon is patrolled by an army of officers with automatic weapons.
    Unless someone can figure out why these wackos do these horrible crimes (its not the guns that do it!)I have no problem with armed guards in schools..
    However,we can't have armed guards everywhere-malls,theaters,churches and all the places that these horrible shootings occour.
    I think the computer and violent video game obsessions along with the movies,paintball,and the music industry all need to be put under scrutiny also!!
    Just my opinion. Paul in Virginia

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

548, your immature perception of how that would work is that everyone is going to be packing a S&W .500 in a shoulder holster. If you would take a more mature outlook you would realize that it would work very much the same way legal concealed carry works on the streets. The actual likelihood of any shooting at all is dramatically reduced because the shooter knows he isn't going to necessarily have it all his way. It doesn't require that every single teacher or staff be armed and capable, only that the shooter knows he will at some point be shot down long before he reaches his goal, and that when he dies it won't be in a time of his own choosing after he has succeeded. The huge point that everyone is missing is the deterrent effect. The idea isn't to have shootouts. The idea is to get the shooter to abandon the idea before he tries because he knows he isn't going to enjoy the success he seeks. Precluding the possibility of the shooter enjoying unlimited success is the key to stopping these shootings, but you can't preclude that possibility in gun free schools.

Now, let's say we have a shooter who isn't deterred by armed teachers and/or staff and comes in shooting anyway. How is having everyone in the school utterly helpless going to help? It the shooter ends up killing 6 or 8 but would have killed 30, isn't stopping him short of his ultimate success worth while?

You may not want schools to become places where arms are routinely available, but your wishes are a poor replacement for the lives that are being lost. Gun free zones are a violation of natural laws. They are a vacuum in a world that abhors vacuums. Evil is out there. The laws of nature say protect yourself or perish. Wishing it wasn't so is an immature, destructive way to handle the problem.

By the way, if security is left up to hired security guards, you know what you are going to have for security? Near minimum wage fat Rambos who swagger and talk big but when the lead is flying will run away. If that little girl teacher in Connecticut had access to a handgun when the shooter came in I'd bet my life she wouldn't have run away. The time to deter the shooter is BEFORE he starts, and the most certain deterrent is for the shooter to know he will quickly be fighting for his life, not enjoying becoming the next super bad ass.

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Remember that Culombine HS had an armed policeman assigned to it and present. How did that work out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.