1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA is going after the TSA, airport, airlines

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ontariogal, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Rec'd the following e-mail from Marcus Raab of the NRA today. Thought some of you on here might want to help - if you do, the contact info for this research is at the bottom.

"The NRA is looking for specific information on the treatment of the shooting community by airlines, airports and the TSA. Based on information to date there appear to be patterns at specific airports and with specific airlines. In order to clearly identify the airlines and airports that are doing it right and doing it wrong we need your help. We are asking competitive shooters because your community has some issues, interests and needs that differ from other gun owners.

We need information on your experiences traveling with guns for competitive shooting events only – both good and bad. Specifically, we would like to know:

- The airport where the experience occurred.
    - If your comments are about an airline identify the air carrier and if it was with counter personnel or baggage.
    - If the experience was with TSA.
    - If your experience was with local law enforcement or private airport security separate from TSA please identify the department or company to the best of your recollection.

- In some instances more than one player may be involved so please separate what each participant did or did not do - be specific

Again, we want both good and bad experiences.

What we will & will not do with this information:

- We will gather the information into a report.
    - We intend to use the report to attempt to correct poor performers and this is where the people who got it right are important. We want to be able to show airlines, airports and branches of TSA can do their jobs and respect our rights at the same time.

- We will not put any personal information provided by you into the report but we need to be able to follow up and confirm what you tell us.

- We cannot accept anonymous information. The strength of the final product will be in its verifiability.

How to contact us

E-mail: ILAlegal@nrahq.org

Phone: (703) 267-1161

Fax: (703) 267-1164

Thank you for your consideration of this request. "

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Hi Barbara,, do you want goo or only bad,,, I fly in and out of JFK and LGA New york often and have had no problems with jet blue,,same at burbank Ca,, united to and from Burbank to Maui Hi,, no problems execpt they managed to break a pelican case on united,,,this was with trap guns,,,Bill Goscinski

3. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Hiya Billy,

This research has been triggered by the NRA (not by my company) and responses are to go directly to them at the email they've provided in the text of the copy - and as per their request: "we want both good and bad experiences."

Responses should go directly to: ILAlegal@nrahq.org

cheers,

b.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Something is wrong here.

This isnt a survey request. There is no format. No data can be gathered and formed into any type of report.

Someone is being snowed here and the purpose of the snow job could be sinister.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Actually, it is a survey request - in the truest sense. "A general view, examination, or description of someone or something."

Most 'surveys' are 'statistical surveys' which have a more narrowly defined meaning.

A search for 'Who Is' on the email address repeatedly points back to the NRA and the phone # is in Virginia and listed as going to the NRA.

Looks to me like they are trying to find the "good" and the "bad" of airlines and airports as relates to firearms movement.

Once you localize these then a statistical survey and analysis can be done. Why waste time and money evaluating ALL when you can first narrow the field?

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Gene

Marcus also sent me this letter. He is not snowing anyone. I spent a week training with him at Colorado Springs recently to get on board NRA's National Coach Development Staff. He is top drawer and first class.

I had a great trip there and back. American Airlines gave me world-class service, but a young Black employee behind the Continental desk at Colorado Springs was rude. Everyone else was great, including TSA.

Read the TSA web for directions on preparing for travel BEFORE YOU FLY and you will not have any problems.

Folks getting searched were ones who pinged the detectors because they left on jewelry, had keys in their pockets, etc.

7. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I have traveled on six airlines with my SGs and have had six completely different experiences. I was naive enough to read the TSA website guidelines and did extensive research on EACH airline's specific policy and/or guidelines prior to flying with my SGs.

Let me tell you there is a BIG disconnect between what TSA and the airlines post on their websites AND what they actually do. Its definitely a lack of training.

Have I mentioned that I dont fly with my shotguns anymore?

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Only a naive person would NOT read the TSA regs before flying with anything.

The only people I saw being "subjected" to searches and hands-on stuff were too careless to remove the stuff out of their pockets and off their wrists and fingers before being scanned.

Six different airports in Nov, same policies.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I responded to the survey just now. My experiences flying with shotguns, half a dozen times, have been entirely positive. However I did read the rules and follow them, treated people courteously, and was responded to in kind.

10. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Sorry for not responding sooner, I had lots of holiday to do's. Here are the details...

First time traveling to and from CA, i was asked to open my case at the counter and show it to the ticket lady, who then directed me to another area where I was asked to open the case again, then i was given an orange ticket to insert, and the case was taken away. On the return flight with the same airline, the reservation attendent gave me the orange ticket, told me to put it in, and drop it off at another counter. Did not have to open it for anyone.

The second time traveling to and from FLA, there were no issues. I told them I had an SG to check in, they gave me a luggage tag and i dropped it off at another counter. No orange ticket, did not get asked to open it.

The third time was silly to MA. The counter lady told me to open the case and let her see it. She told me to take out my boots and gloves (its a roomy case) since only the SG could be in the case. I mentioned to her that i had travel several other times and no one ever made me take my boot out. She said it was their rule, and i complied though i was a bit paranoid. Finally, i dropped it off at the designated area.

The fourth time to WY was uneventful and simlar to the 2nd time though i did get orange inserts and the drop off areas were fast. No questions or inspections.

The fifth time when traveling back from CA was stupid. The counter lady told me to open the case, and assemble it! I said no way and that that was not anywhere in the rules. She told she had to verify that it was firearm and I responded that I absolutely would not assemble it under any circumstances -- and insisted that she page a manager or supervisor. That person asked if i was the legal owner, then gave me a baggage tag without even looking at it, and told me to drop it off at another area.

The last time travel to CA again, i was given an orange tag and a baggage tag, and told to take it to another counter. That person told me to wait for inspection. After 30 minutes, I was called and my SG was taken -- no inspection.

In the end, traveling with my SG was a hassle and it added an extra hour. Its worth noting that my family and I were on vacation and we were flying whatever airlines we could get using free miles -- Jet Blue, SW, Frontier etc. and we were using different airports. At some airports, I pick up my SG case where the golf club bags and oversized packages are, at others I have to pick up it from the baggage office. Perhaps if we used only one airline and consistent aiports we would have consistent experiences but that has not been the case so far...

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The problem is that each airport has their own idea of interpretation of the rules. best to print out a copy of TSA rules and carry it with you.

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Great experiences with Southwest Airlines thru Indy, Denver and Las Vegas. Seems that each airport has a different procedure in how they take the bags with the guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.