1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA Instructor Certification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Does anyone know exactly what you have to do to become an NRA Handgun safety Instructor? Exactly what courses you have to take? From?

Please, with all due respect, don't respond unless you absolutely KNOW how to do it. I seem to get confusing information from people I've talked to.

Looked and looked at their website. Couldn't find anything.

thanks!

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Basic info on becoming an NRA Certified Instructor is at

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/instructor.asp

"Instructor training courses are conducted by NRA Training Counselors. Training Counselors are active and experienced instructors who have been appointed by NRA to train experienced shooters to teach others to shoot. NRA Instructor Training courses are posted at http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx, or you may request a list of Training Counselors in your geographic area by contacting the NRA Training Department at 703-267-1430."

Go to the site above and check off the course(s) and geographic area you're interested in, or call for the Counselor list and contact them directly.

Tom Stewart, NRA Certified Instructor

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

OK, that tells me who teaches, but doesn't answer the question of exactly how many and what courses to take...

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Course descriptions are at the NRA site above. You can sign up for any or all.

Upon successful completion of the course, you'll be a Certified Instructor in that course subject.

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

One course for each discipline...i.e. Shotgun instructor course for becoming a shotgun instructor, handgun instructor course for becoming a handgun instructor...and so on. Only change after getting your first certification is that you don't have to attend the first night training which is basic "instructor" training. The second and third day are discipline specific.

You get your first certification and there are a couple other things you can obtain online...with home study materials: reloading, range safety officer.

So, basically, one course, one certification. You should attend the "basic" course before attending a certification course.

NRA basic pistol, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.