1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA/ILA News item on the surplus brass situation

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by locdoc, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locdoc

locdoc Member

The above just received from, believe it or not, an Obama supporter. Just to give me a little 'jab'.

Her message to me: "Order to destroy it had NOTHING whatsoever to do with Obama... In fact, came down during Bush admin BY MISTAKE."

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

So the policy change of Bush's secretary of defense was implemented LAST WEEK by the present administration?(insert obscene sceptical remarks)

Tell your friend about the wonderful green cheese the moon is made of.

HM

3. stillmisses

stillmisses TS Member

Date: 18-Mar-09 - 10:42 AM

I finally received this e-mail from the DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) to my in quiry of the mutilation of brass 50 cal and under. It is official, the destruction order has been rescinded. I receieved this e-mail @ 10:42 this AM. We can thank the 2 senators from montana for pushing hard for this to be rescinded. The NRA When I called them on Friday the 13th when this rumor really got moving knew told me they didn't know anything about it, but would check and call me back. Never heard a word from NRA until I read the above news release. Nice of them to jump in on the credit. I've been a yearly NRA member for 28 years, I'm not slamming them, just dissapointed. mike T.

Dear Sir, The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS), a field activity of the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), is the Department of Defense (DOD) activity responsible for the disposition of excess and surplus DOD Property.

The primary focus of the DRMS mission is to protect national security by ensuring property is properly identified for reutilization and disposition and not released for public sale when to do so would jeopardize national security.

During the past two years, DRMS revised its processes to further ensure only appropriate items were made available for public sale. To strengthen current controls and to mitigate future security risk, the DOD issued policy that prohibits the sale of military unique items controlled by the Department of State through its Munitions List.

Small arms cartridge cases are identified as a sensitive Munitions List item and were held pending review of the policy relating to the category of items in which cartridge cases were included. Upon review, the Defense Logistics Agency has determined the cartridge cases could be appropriately placed in a category of government property allowing for their release for sale.

The DRMS sales contractor (Government Liquidation) has been notified of this decision and has begun the process of reoffering the cases that have been held pending completion of the policy review. As was previously required, buyers who purchase cartridge cases from the government must be approved to do so under Trade Security Controls.

GREGORY ORTIZ Sales Contracting Officer DRMS J-362 ph 269 961-7558 dsn) 661 fx 269 961-4020 dsn) 661 mailto:greg.ortiz@dla.mil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.