1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA -- Idea To Reduce Their Wastefulness

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Has anyone else considered that the smart move might be for us to stop formally renewing our NRA memberships and just send them donations via anonymous money-order instead? I mean, if you write one check per year and know you're not going to give any more money until next year, what's the sense of letting the NRA waste money hounding you every few weeks for the rest of the year? So you don't get a hat or a membership card -- who cares? The magazines are laying around the clubs anyway, so no loss there. I'm a member of a club which requires NRA membership but I've been there long enough that they don't ask for proof anymore.

So what's the downside of just anonymously donating? If the NRA ever sells out to Big Brother or gets their computers hacked into, wouldn't it be good to not have our names in their database anyway?

Just a thought.

-Gary

2. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

DUMB, DUMB AND DUMBER OR meaning lacking intelligence

YOUR STATEMENT: I'm a member of a club which requires NRA membership but I've been there long enough that they don't ask for proof anymore.

SO YOU ARE A BIG CHEATER IS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. Yea, thats all we
    need is a bunch more of FREE LOADERS LIKE YOU

No Thanks I will pay my NRA dues

Birddog

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Birddog:

Easy, Knucklehead -- I am a long time NRA member. I pay my club dues and my NRA dues, and then some. I'm just posing a question about a possible way to reduce the money the NRA wastes hounding some of us who already know exactly how much we intend to donate. I never said anything about not paying -- I only pointed out that we could opt to do so anonymously and that this might actually BENEFIT the NRA. Do you understand now?

So why would question my intelligence over that?

Just out of curiosity, which of my other posts pissed you off anyway? LOL. Be honest please, I can use another laugh.

-Gary

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I belong to a club that does check and see every once and awhile that your still a NRA member. To me by dropping your membership to the NRA is like throwing away your rifle and or ammo during a fight. If you let the NRA die so will you and your gun rights. If you want to send money then use a PO money order and some other money order that doesn't have your name on it. You give money but they don't know who it is. Second if your a gun owner your name is known to the gov. You really think the gov is blind to your ownership of guns? Get real and wake the hell up.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Has reading comprehension taken a plunge lately or what?

I never said a single word about reducing money sent to the NRA. In fact, if you can read you will see that I'm just proposing a possible way to INCREASE the NRA's net revenue available to protect our gun rights and recruit new members. Why is this simple concept so difficult for a couple of you to comprehend? And I DID specifically say this could be done via an anonymous money order.

Auctioneer & Birddog: Calm your emotions and READ.

-Gary

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gary,

Sometimes you better off talking to the toaster ... I understood what your intention was and that won't eliminate them hounding you ... It took me 5 years to finally get them go quit sending me renewals for my "Life" membership ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks WPT.

I love TS.com but I'm starting to think we need a category called "3-DIGIT IQ ONLY" (and have it accessible only to those who pass a test).

-Gary

8. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

I hate to say it, but those constant appeals do raise money well above and beyond their cost and irritation to the members.

Many years ago I was Chairman of the US Shooting Team and really didn't like the constant requests for donations. In reality you develop a "House File" that are more likely to donate and they get the brunt of the mailings. In the end we were clearing about a million a year for the USST, so it did work.

I'm a Benefactor member of the NRA, it's our only real protection.

Hank Cross

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

What really bugs me is when I get a "survey" along with a solicitation for money. If the NRA or the Republican Party or whoever.....wants my opinion on matters I'd be happy to answer a REAL survey, when a request for a donation comes with it, file 13.

John C. Saubak

NRA Life Member

ps, if NRA gets their computer hacked into, I could care less WHO learns that I'm a member.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

John:

You might care after they come for your Remington 1100 assault weapon, LOL.

Besides, my comment about the NRA database was just an afterthought. Let's forget about that part for now so as not to further confuse the dim bulbs.

-Gary

11. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I'm shocked, shocked to find that reading is going on in here!

My apologies to Captain Renault.

Michael Goines

12. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Okay Gary, I apoligise for my statement. I am just so sick and tired
    of everone bashing the NRA. Yes, they make more mailings that I want
    or care for, but so does every other organization I have belonged to.

Again, sorry

Birddog

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks Lew. Apology accepted.

Like others, I'm annoyed by the NRA at times but they're pretty much the only front line of defense we've got.

-Gary

14. willing

willing Member

I would like to know the owners of the companies that provide the mailings. Are any relatives or close friends involved?

Bill

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You can, and I did at one time, contact the NRA and ask that the mailings be eliminated. It didn't stop everything, but my request sure did cut down a bunch.

Kip

16. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

3 years ago i debated on whether to renew my nra membership, this was due to all the mailings-so- after some thot--i called nra and explained my feelings and requested to be taken off the mailer list--i paid my dues and in 30 days-all mailings stopped!!! i have never recieved another solicitation but did change my magazine to the rifleman and really enjoy it-
    -THANKYOU to NRA and GOD BLESS AMERICA

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually it's not wasteful. The NRA brings in more than what they are spending on their mailings. It's effective, and it works, or else they would not be doing it.

Having said that, if any individual NRA member does not want these mailings, then yes, you can, as an individual, reduce waste in your case by simply requesting you be taken off of their mailing list. It's simple and unless they make a clerical error it works.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Gary, if magazines you never read are the issue, are you aware you can join the NRA and specify no magazine be sent you?

Click the link and look at the pull down menus for the magazines. You can specify "No magazine".

I don't know why some chose to attack you in an asinine, counter-productive, childish manner about this, when the NRA already has a simple solution in place.

19. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Be careful not to "throw the baby out with the bathwater"....your intentions are noble, but your methods are WHACKED........

Maybe a simple call with a request (as another person said: it will be partially successful....may reduce the number of mailings)....I have a CIRCULAR FILE which stores "junk mail"....I use it quite a bit....you can too....you can DO THIS!

We need MORE rather than LESS NRA members....don't lose sight of the FOREST for the trees.....

NRA FREEDOM!

20. oz

oz Active Member

If you don't want to pay dues every year..become a life member. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.