1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA has only 4 million members??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This just doesnt seem right. I am sending in my new membership. I had let it lapse years ago when I fell out of the hunting/shooting arena. I also found a local group here in mass GOAL which I also will be joining. It is funny how you dont hear to much about these orginizations on a regular basis even at the gun clubs?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, the NRA lost a lot or members and potential members over FOPA'86. I quit at that time, and only rejoined after they got a backbone over fighting the renewal of the 1994 gun ban. If the NRA ever betrays its members like that again, they can expect to lose more members.<br>
    <br>
    But be that as it may, the real question here is - how many of these "sportsmen" here who are pushing Obama, claiming he's not going to ban our guns, and stating that the American Hunting and Shooting Association are pro-gunners, are in fact NRA members themselves? I doubt any are. In fact, I doubt many are actually trapshooters.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I cant support obama, any more taxes i cant shoot. Im tired of paying for the lazy and will nots, druggies ect ect.

4. Brian in Oregon

r44u77, I wasn't sure if you were simply stupid or mentally retarded. But thanks for clarifying that you are, in fact, an idiot.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

There is a real disconnect among shotgunners and the NRA. The NRA pushes an overll agenda, but if you read its magazines, there is very little programming and/or support for the shotgun shooting sports.

I send them my $10 (associate membership, no magazine), but I prefer to support the NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation...

Jay

6. Brian in Oregon

That's because shotgunners already have their national organizations, which are the AA and PITA. The NRA is the national organization for several rifle sports.<br>
    <br>
    The only way I can see to change this is for the NRA to absorb the ATA.

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Brian, the NRA is a LOT more than "the national organization for several rifle sports". Even though they send out too much junk mail, just imagine what your Second Amendment rights would look like right now if the NRA did not have four million members. The NRA may not be perfect, but the way I see it, the NRA is protecting our American Constitution and our American way of life. I can not state it any simpler than that.

And there is no need for the NRA to absorb the ATA. IMHO

LA in MA

8. Brian in Oregon

Of course they are much more than that. Did you miss my point?

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I do not shoot rifles any more. I do shoot a lot of clays though. But I still support the NRA. No matter what anyone thinks they still fight to protect our second amendment rights. No one is required to send extra money. But keeping up ones membership helps more than you know.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NRA, through the ILA fights for all gun owners.
    They are feared and reviled by anti gun people and that's good enough for me.

Even though they paint a target on their butt and make a lot of noise.

HM

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Obama sent his pit bulls after them in PA.

It could be that we need them more than we think.

Read the story.

HM

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yes, the NRA has only 4 million members. One of them is me. I doubt that I could ever find a large organization that I agree with 100% of the time, but 98% is not bad at all.

I am a shotgun shooter. But, I also support the rights of rifle and pistol shooters and I hope they support me. I support gun rights, not just shotgun rights.

Pat Ireland

13. beyyupot

beyyupot Member

One older citizen of Rhode Island who just passed away recently, was first struck with a serious illness several years ago, it took him out of his home to a hospital bed for weeks. The do-gooders reported to the local police his guns were in the home unattended. Pop went the door and safe locks, into protective custody went the guns. When the gun owner recovered he went to the local police and asked that his trap & hunting guns be returned to him, they refused. Alex went to the NRA, the NRA sued the locals, The judge said they were wrong and to return his property. Pretty good service for ten dollars.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I support the NRA, just wish they would quit sending me renewal notices being as I am a life member and have been for years ... I figure they are they that far out of touch with reality that they pester their members to renew when they are life members ..? I used to send them an annual donation but have quit since I notified them several times and they persist in sending me a deluge of mail ... I figure they can save millions if they quit with the multiple mailings ... I can donate to many other worth while organizations that don't hound me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It takes huge amounts of money to fight the gunbanners, who get free publicity that the NRA can't buy. The NRA has long since spent WPT's money and they need more. The mailings may seem a waste but the fact is, they generate more revenue than they cost. The more money one donates the more mailings he will receive. I get tons of junk mail from everyone, it's hardly a burden to throw it in the trash if one doesn't wish to contribute.

16. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have just never felt as if the NRA really does much for me personally, many of thier stances in my opionion are over the top. I would be willing to join without the magazines as the American Rifleman and American Hunter do not interest me at all.....

Ron

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If someone really (as in really) wants to rid themselves of junk mail, just advise the USPS (there's a form to fill out) that you will accept only 1st class mail. Will decrease your junk mail by approx. 90 - 95%.

Done deal.

Curt

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought a life membership one time and until or if I come back in another life thats all I am going to buy from them, donations are another issue ... I sent them letters, E Mails, and wasted my time making phone calls to notify them of a potential problem they have because I keep getting renewal notices to no avail ... Maybe if they run out of money and the Fat Cats don't get anymore pay raises they will cease with the mailings ... In the mean time you are right I just trash them unopened but it seems like such a waste ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just renewed for another 5 years. One of these days I'll make it a life membership.

I do believe if it wasn't for the NRA, handguns, semi auto guns, would now be illegal nation wide. Thank God for the NRA. Wish we had an organization for each of the first 10 amendments.

We should all consider giving NRA memberships away as gifts. I give em out whenever I receive a graduation announcement. Figure they would make a great graduation gift. The politicians look at numbers. if we could grow the NRA another million or so the clowns might take notice.

20. PNIA

PNIA TS Member

When former president George H W Bush resigned, so did I, for the same reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.