1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA FOUNDATION GRANTS FOR SCTP PROGRAMS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Our SCTP program in Mt. Airy, MD is in the process of investigating the pursuit of a grant from the NRA Foundation. I've visited the foundation's site and have downloaded the materials available there. I've also put in a couple of calls to our State Foundation Representative Brian Swartz and await his response.

In the meantime, are there any SCTP leaders out there in TS.comland who have first hand experience with the application process who are willing to pass along any advice they may have related to NRA grants? Your insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy Babin

Parent Representative
    Mt. Airy, MD
    SCTP
    Sharp Shooters

Stick Simmons
    Team Coach
    &
    MD State Coordinator

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Guy, I'll give Roger Beardsley your phone number tonight at our practice. He is the head coach of the Mason Dixon Claybusters. I help coach that team, along with several other assistant coaches. Roger does an excellent job, and is very helpful.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

up.... for another try for input on the subject. Thanks Devi, see ya tomorrow.

Guy

4. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Good morning guy.

The application process is fairly simple. Friends of the NRA provide grants to clubs that help to promote our sport and the sport of shooting. I have applied for grants in the past. You will need to know the number of shooters you expect to train. NRA will pay for all or a portion of ammunition, discounted target prices, hearing protection, eye wear. They are quit open to training of women and youth programs. Program should be to promote the sport and educational experience involved in shooting. Club should be non-profit 501-C3 charity.

You must include tax ID, location where you will be shooting, Board of Directors list. Copy of your Articles of incorporation.

Also provide a reason for money request. They will want a budget or where and how the $ are to be spent. In the end you must fill out and file a report with copies of reciepts back to there headquarters showing all expenses. They also request that you promote and make known that your request is granted and publish it in several sources like the local newspapers, magazines, poster on the wall etc.

All in all it is a worth while try. I believe you must have your application in by December of the past year to be eligible for April- May dispersment in the following year. Money usually must be for educational benifit or equipment. Not for paying for competition shooting and or rounds that would benifit the profitability of the club. You can contact the NRA for further information. NRA.com

Hope this helps.
    Mark Stevens
    SCTP coach NRA/ATA cert.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Club should be non-profit 501-C3 charity

That is the key to receiving many grants.

It may be eaisier for the local SCTP to set up such a non-profit than the club.

6. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Guy, email me your phone number, I have a lot of information you can use.

Roger

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Roger, Email sent. Thanks

Guy

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

How about a 501 c-7?

9. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Each state has a grant committee. More than likely the demand for grants exceeds the amount of support the Friends of your state have available to give, but if the program has merit, they will try to fund some of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.