1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA/ATA Trap Coach School

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

PROGRAMS FOR YOUTH TRAPSHOOTERS AND THEIR COACHES

http://www.losttargetforums.com/view_topic.php?id=496&forum_id=93

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I attended this school last year. While it is a good coaching school, it is not an INSTRUCTOR school.
    There was more emphasis on handling young people than on handling guns. More on rules of the varous clays games than on how to hit a clay target.

If you are interested in getting a SCTP group together and leading it, it is just what you need. If you are interested in teaching new shooters how to improve their scores, look elsewhere.
    Word to the wise.

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

The NSSA has a fine coaches clinic. It is set up for the SCTP program. It can be held in one day and the costs is far lower than the NRA program. If any

4. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

The NSSA has a fine coaches clinic. It is set up for the SCTP program. It can be held in one day and the costs is far lower than the NRA program. If any

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Somehow my comment was inputted without being complete. What I started to say if anyone wants information on this program, please email me and I will give
    you the information regarding the program. - Jim

6. Uknowme

Uknowme TS Member

Thank you doggai for starting this thread. I, too, was in attendance of this class and felt it was a great session! Jim McDiffett did a great job in presenting the information.

When we first heard of this program we were told this WAS NOT a class to learn how to shoot the target better but to learn how to coach young shooters. The game of Trap Shooting is very much a mind game and you, as a coach, need to know how to work with young shooters and how to condition them to compete in this game. That takes education on our parts as coaches in order to do justice to these young people.

For me this was money well spent and very energizing in thinking of how we can improve what we are offering to our youth. I felt we had a very good program going, as we just completed our third year and have grown from having approximately 30 kids the first year, 62 the second and 70 this year. We anticipate more next year. We have a group of eight of us currently heading up our program and after our session this week end, can realize to help these kids become great shooters we need more coaching involvement, i.e., more coaches and training on our parts. The course gave tremendous food for thought, in my opinion, as to what and where we need to make changes to better serve our youth.

The opportunity to exchange experiences of what other clubs are doing was wonderful. Two people in attendance from Nebraska told us of having 2,000 kids at their state shoot. That's awesome and obviously somebody is doing something right to create that interest. There were 28 of us attending this school and I don't think anyone walked away with a bad feeling about this class. I think everyone was interested in keeping in contact with one another beyond this two day school to know what progress each club is making and find out ways to make improvements within their club.

I for one, will recommend this class to many if you are truly interested in learning how to be a coach to the youth of your community. Hitting the target well will come with practice, but you need to learn the fundamentals of trap shooting first. Remember the first time you went to the trap range and did you know what to do? We all have someone we can remember that gave us some pointers on what to do to get that target. That was your coach! I remember mine from back in '78. I struggled until he helped me. Then it became fun!

Thank you Jim for the great job you did in teaching the NRA/ATA Trap Coach School. I enjoyed it.

Cindy Townsend, Alexandria Shooting Park

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.