1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA/ATA Trap Coach School

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Beretta687EELL, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I attended the NRA/ATA Trap Coach School this weekend. What a great learning experience. I was very surprised at how in depth the trap coach school is. It was certainly more than worth the two days and expense I incurred. Considering this is a fairly new program, the material was very well done. I understand that they are tweaking some items to improve it even further.

It was great to meet and be instructed by Jim McDiffett, who came all the way up here to Ontario, Canada from Kansas. I certainly hope our paths cross again.

Congratulations to the NRA and ATA for putting this program together. I am looking forward to putting what I learned to good use. Bill Malcolm

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

here,here...Bill

3. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

trapshooters don' need no stinkin' coach.

1. Emerge from womb.

2. Bend gun to 100% high.

3. Keep on truckin'

...(lumper might want to repeat #1, though)

4. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

How does one learn about theses schools and what did it cost?
    houston6

5. roger8918

roger8918 Member

First let me say… Thank you to whoever is responsible for getting this started and providing these very important services. Equipping coaches with the best instructional tools and skills should be a top priority.

With that said…nothing against the school itself as I have no personal knowledge of its content, but they need to find a way to cut the price down for SCTP coaches. It’s hard enough to find volunteer coaches but it will be even harder if I were to ask them to pull $175 out of thier pocket so that they can attend the training. I would love to attend myself but I can not afford to take it out of my family’s budget. I’m already donating hundreds of hours to my program, the last thing my family needs is for me to spend another $175.

SCTP/NRA/ATA hear my plea….. You have done a great job in getting the young people involved, thousands of them in fact. Now its time to help the coaches! The program can only be as big as your coaches can handle. There are programs out there turning away kids because they don’t have qualified coaches.

Roger Beardsley, Mason-Dixon Clay Busters

6. dednded

dednded TS Member

Hi folks,
    A wealth of information was passed on at that school,thanks again to Barbara,Florin,Jim and the Hamilton Gun Club.
    We are looking forward to shooting with new found friends in the coming season and re-aquainting old ones at the Great Lakes Grand.

Barbara,when you get a chance could you pass along addresses and phone #'s.I got some of them but not all. regards,Chris & Gwen

7. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Barbara,
    Thank you for the suggestion but we are not interested in working with or recruiting adults. We are only in this to do the best job we can for the young people. Our co-home clubs (Jefferson Sportsmen & Izaak Walton of York) already provide us with free use of their facilities and free birds for all of our practices. I don’t want to become burden to our clubs so asking them to send a few coaches to school at that price is just out of the question.

If the SCTP ever does get around to requiring SCTP coaches to have some sort of formal training (and they don't provide the training at a reasonable cost), the SCTP part of our program will fold….bottom-line.

I just think that the SCTP is growing so fast that they need to stop and take a look at their infrastructure. If they don’t have the coaches it doesn’t mater how good of a job they do recruiting the young people. Heck, I’ve seen some of the basic NRA Shotgun Instructor training going for as high as $200 around here. For what you get that’s crazy. Something has got to be done.

Just my opinion

Roger Beardsley

8. blooper

blooper TS Member

I agree with Roger B. 100%

9. Gary De

Gary De TS Member

I can only say that the ATA/NRA Coaches School was informative, the content was far more than I expected (San Antonio). The way I see it,the more people we have Coaching with the same princples the better this will be for all young and adult shooters new and old to the game. There are ways to raise money to off set the cost of this school. We have an ATA/NRA Coaching School coming to Hartford, Wisconsin Feb 15th & 16th,2008. I am very happy to be a small part of making this happen.

Roger I know the amount of time you put in, there are a lot of people out there that do what they can to make the game of Trap Shooting better for all.

Gary DeSmidt
    President Wisconsin SCTP Trap
    Youth Program Director Hartford Conservation & Gun Club

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

We let McDiffet come up with another Kansas coach (Marie G) into Nebraska, and they drug along some guy named Nau from western Nebraska. Our Nebraska state high school shoot runs about 1800+ registered students in 2.5 days. I like most of the other coaches paid for the clinic out of my pocket. While I know it wasn't required, some organizations are only thinking about the coaches being certified in hopes of reducing their liability costs. Kind of like having all members of your club belong to the NRA so they will underwrite your liability insurance at a cheaper cost. Some parents are pushing for certification because of relatively few negative incidents. I don't know of any clubs who pay the coaches liability insurance to protect the adult volunteer from an unhappy teenager who craves attention.

Some observations I have witnessed while trying to be as objective as I can. Most clubs won't pay for coaches clinics as they don't want another "NRA expert" telling them how to run their club when the membership already is made up of many white haired retired guys who have plenty of time on their hands but haven't solved the declining membership problem. If we followed the safety training advocated at the NRA coaches school, we might not be able to tap the keg as early as usual. Since we make large amounts of cash on beer sales, $$$ is KING. Beer cannot be consumed when the kids are present which crimps some members style as the club is their escape hatch where they can hide from their family and drink all the beer they want. Members would not be allowed to carry beer from singles to handicaps to doubles on league nights. Veteran members like to complain that the parking lot is to full when the kids shoot and take their favorite parking spot. The whining continues until they see all the cash generated from the kids in food and shell sales. They also complain that the adult shoots don't draw as many participants as the kids. The must not have made the connection yet. Many veteran shooters complain that the kids guns are crap, since some veteran shooters only have 5 or 6 $5000+ trap shooting guns. When a parent decides to pony up the $$$ for a real trap gun, the veterans sometimes knock each other out to sell the kids one of their OLD guns. If we got too progressive, maybe the girls would want their own bathroom, with doors on the stalls! Next, the girls may try take over the clubhouse and put down table cloths and make members drink lite beer and eat vegetables instead of game and potatoes. ROFL

Most of the posts here on TS.com state that when shooters get out of college they won't shoot anyway because it is way to expensive and young people cannot afford to pay college loans and load shells. Many volunteer coaches spend many $$$ and donate many hours to their youth teams. They are so busy, they don't have time to complain much. Many of the complainers have to much time, always find problems, and don't want to be or cannot find any part of the solution. Youth shooters don't want to participate in club politics and they could care less who is serving on what committee. Most clubs don't understand that teenagers are marvelous food devouring machines that eat most of the time and parents won't let their growing teen starve. The income stream may not be great on high end guns, but it is there on food and sometimes accessories. Students, many times, don't have (or forgot) their hat, gloves, glasses, ear protection, shells, food, vest, bag, and cell phone. Parents will buy coffee, coffee, cappuccino, batteries, and hand and sock warmers.

I have trained at the elementary, middle, secondary, college levels and the corporate business world. You still have to be able to communicate with the student and find a way to convey an idea in terms they understand at this point in their life. Yet I still see many coaches try to explain trapshooting in terms of how many degrees from different posts to a junior high age student and expect them to get it on the first try. They still don't understand degrees in the classroom, how will they understand in on the range? It is comparable to a junior high student explaining to a grand parent how to do Instant Messaging on your cell phone while hiding the phone in your pocket and have the adult get it the first time. It you have seen the cell phone commercials on the overactive kids who text message on the phone constantly, you have viewed the future and present. I have witnessed veteran coaches complaining about iPods and not even knowing what they are. It is funny when you hear the same student complain that the coach can't even hear them when the adult doesn't even have ear protection in.

I didn't intend to flame anybody, but I am amazed at how many people knock training they have never experienced. If you have a great program without the NRA training, keep up the good work and thanks for helping. If you can take the training, I think it will be a good investment for most programs. I still refer to my NRA training curriculum. "That ain't the way I was taught to shoot" is blown away by current training that takes into account new technologies, diverse students, emerging equipment, nutrition, medical developments, and many other things that have changed since you got your first single shot break open gun. If the old way is always the best way, please SELL your new pickups (ASAP) as they could turn on you and kill you will all their computer chips!!! ROFL I realize that we are ALL a little reluctant to change. I realize money is tight. Please don't knock what you haven't given a fair evaluation. This seems to happen often here on TS.com and I will not assume that one size fits all.
    Sorry for the long sermon. I would take an offering and send it to other coaches, but then this thread would qualify as a religious thread and would generate hatred and flaming messages shared by many posters while tying up David's server. Please MODERATOR, I will post shorter messages in the future. LOL Thanks for asking, but I am not bitter. I only drink a few beers, eat well, shoot often, and enjoy working with kids. My butt is built to close to the ground, but my feet still reach the concrete. LIFE is good. IMHO Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting coaches income