1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NRA and customer service (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

I joined the NRA last year (partly due to the urging here). I bought a Browning XT in Sept. and it included a one year membership in the NRA. I asked that they just extend my current membership another year.

I am now getting renewal notices from the NRA. I have twice written them and asked if they have a membership in my name from Browning. I have twice e-mailed them asking the same thing. When I sent the emails I got an answer "thanks for contacting us someone will get back to you shortly" or words to that effect.

So far I've heard nothing from anyone.

Is this pretty much normal for the NRA (once we have your money don't call us we'll call you)??

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Took several years before I got my life membership packet. Actually, after becoming a lifer, I participated in signing up several friends (always with some special "prize" offered which I never got). When I finally wrote them a letter (telling them of what I'd never gotten in the past) in response to their "offer" for me to become an endowment member (at another nice increase in "one time" dues) I finally got my life membership certificates, packet, and a hat. Never got the books, buckles, knives, or anything else. Have gotten some unsolicited videotapes which they later wanted me to pay for and get many many calls wanting money. Also get at least one appeal a week for money.
    I do contribute several times a year because they are fighting for our rights under the second amendment but normally just hang up on the calls. I pick and choose from the myriad mailings which ones I want to contribute for.

3. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

I am a lifer and am very happy with their service. I also recently got in touch with them about a coaches school for trap and they set up the contacts. If you expect to win something evry month or get a deal, you joined for the wrong reason. Their main goal is to protect our gun rights. The anti's are raising money all over the place, even overseas. We have to get the word out any way possible. This is why they have all the promotions. Our culture has degenerated into a " what's in it for me" culture. We are on the same team. Everyone has a job. Ours is to support whatever you believe in. If we all do our part, we can preserve our way of life. If your attitude is hooray for me and screw everyone else, there will only be you left and no US. Think about it and good luck. I hope you all get what you put into our fight. Al

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

some interesting points of view, but I like ctreays response the best,,,

5. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Get a life, if that is your biggest worry, you really have problems…
    If you think anybody else can do a better job FIGHTING for your 2nd Amendment rights,
    RUN to them…nothing is perfect, (see post here about ATA)…

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

JoeE.
    My point was not about the "prizes" rather the lack of response to the initial life membership. All I really cared about was my card, certificate and the insurance for that (at that time) expensive $150 life fee. (1977). I did upgrade to endowment and send several hundred bucks a year to the NRA as well as to ISRA, our fighters on the state scene.

Another point is that we're having trouble getting a "consultant/counselor" to come in to train more instructors.

7. starship

starship TS Member

I will probably stay a member, but it does irk me that an organization appears t have such little interst in their members and only in their cause. Afterall, the members allow them to support the cause.

In this cause it is a good cause but I'd sure like at least a hint of customer service to go with my membership.

I guess we can't have everything (or else I would have run a 100 yesterday)...:)

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree, Starship, sometimes people have had frustrating experiences. Myself (lifer) I've had smooth sailing, good responses to safety officer and instructor renewal issues, pretty much everything handled well. A cousin is getting great help from them with fighting to keep a gun club open. They do seem to have trouble with their left hand not knowing what their right hand is doing, kind of like a big government bureaucracy. Hang in there. Phil E

9. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

I live in Pittsburg and all told I saw ONE NRA political ad ???

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

How much do you think your membership money can purchase? if you get a magazine- thats about what your membership amount is

It does indicate solidarity to be an NRA member but dont mistake the fact that your annual membership fees do little to support this organization

Personally I think I have called 3 times in the last 5 years and good support

Life member

Gene Nosco

11. MrGourmet

MrGourmet TS Member

It's amazing the difference in customer service at the NRA. I needed help and referrals for a lawyer to handle some gun issues for my club. I had a call back from 3 different people within 24 hours and a continued contact.
    Chuck Michel of Trutanich & Michel is handling the work for us but it seems that everything has gone to the back burner.

mrgourmet

12. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I think the main point people are trying to make here is that if you are promised something and do not receive it, the lease the organization could do is respond to your inquiries...

As for me, I ditto the poor service. Dad signed me up as a life member when I was ten. Never received anything. I would receive yearly renewal forms in the mail as if I were an annual member. He would call or write two to three times a year for about 5 years to get it cleared up. Nothing happened. It would be explaniable if I were an annual member before becoming a life member, but in this case, I was not. Took about 15 years to get that cleared up, only after involving Tom Arvas.

John

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

The NRA owes me little for my annual dues as long as they keep up the fight. We need all the members and dollars we can collect for the next four years. As far as I'm concerned if you own a firearm and use it for hunting or sport and do not belong to the NRA you are nothing but a cheepskate who allows others to fund the battle..................Roger

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Just a question.......why do they call it the NR(rifle)A association and not the NF(firearms)A ?.........I own 6 shotguns only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.