1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NPR National Propaganda Radio & The (other) Debate

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by pyrdek, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me where and when the "OTHER" Presidential Debate was held yesterday?

I know there was one on TV yesterday evening but I must have missed and didn't even know about the one that NPR (National Propaganda Radio) covered. You know that was the one that NPR commentators were talking about when they told the audience that Obama was the winner and where NPR analyzed, almost down to the comma and period, where Romney was wrong and/or was lying. What they were talking about was so different from the debate I saw all I can figure is that there MUST have been another debate that nobody else seemed to notice. Maybe this OTHER debate was held in the studios (or the minds???) of NPR?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this from?

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Funding Cut Video

is a video of part of the debate on Economy from Romney. About 1:30 into the video he puts his position out that PBS funding would be cut. Now PBS and NPR are legally different entities but they share a common "feeding trough" of federal funding.

4. Stl Flyn

Yep, I seen Romney do exactly what he had to do. Take over the debate. Ignore the moderator, and always have the last word. He definitely won the debate.

I was asking about the NPR comments. "You know that was the one that NPR commentators were talking about when they told the audience that Obama was the winner." I did not see any network claiming Obama was the winner. I was just wondering if he actually seen this, or heard it from someone else?

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

I watched the debate on CSPAN so that i could avoid all the crap from NPR, CBS, ABC, NBC etc.

Saw everything. Romney did a great job.

T

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

The commentary on NPR's show this morning, at least as much of it as could listen to before saying "Enough of this Bull****" and changing the station, would have you believe that Obama made the better presentation, was more prepared and basically won the debate. The commentator then went on a extended commentary about the Five Trillion dollar cost that Romney's plan would cost and tried to justify Obama's (rather weak and misleading by my hearing) reply by trying to put words into Romenys reply that Romney did not say.

7. Stl Flyn

So it is a bias interpretation of what was said?

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Hey NPR isn't all bad.

I really like Click and Clack the Tappet brothers--too bad they are retiring.

Guy B.

9. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

I don't know what you heard on the radio this morning, but I heard SEVERAL commentators brought in by NPR that said Obama performed poorly and Romney won the debate. I am not questioning what you heard. I believe you're accurately stating your perceptions. So.... please don't tell me what I heard.

I cannot say I listened to every minute of Morning Edition today, but NPR's coverage was similar to EVERY other news coverage I saw or read about the debate. If anything, I would suggest it was far more fair coverage than Fox provided. To call NPR a propaganda machine is logical only if you're willing to call Fox the public relations arm of the Republican party.

I base my opinion upon having worked as a journalist, and someone with a Ph.D. in mass communication who now teaches journalism. And before you attack me for being some kind of liberal troll, I am an independent voter who neither likes Obama or Romney.

If you're going to bother to attack me now for my 2-cents, realize that you'll be doing so without my ever reading what you wrote. I cannot believe I'm bothering to contribute to this thread. So far, IMHO, almost all of the political exchanges on this forum has been so ideologically slanted that they're pretty much useless....EVEN when valid points have been made. I have nothing against most conservatives or liberals, but there are way too many people here who've drunk the Republican Kool-Aid.... just as way too many liberals on other forums have turned into mush-brain democrats.

Mark Timney

10. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I watched two MSM cable channels and both agreed that Romney won and I agree.. I wonder where all of these phantom stations are that said Obama won?

blade819

11. Stl Flyn

Usually it is caused by spreading rhetoric. Then running with the belief that it has to be true, because it helps their cause.

12. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

For everyone else, since Mark won't be reading this, I have two connections to the public broadcasting arena. One I worked, in the Engineering department at a PBS & NPR station for over 15 years and then left to begin employment at a institution of higher education which was originally a part of the NPR operations of the station where I was working.

While at the PBS/NPR station the General Manager had viewpoints regarding funding and programming that brought him into conflict with most of the Public Broadcasting hierarchy. He also produced, and had nationwide distribution, two different programs that espoused private enterprise and government interference. His efforts were directed towards having public broadcasting being privately funded and totally independent of government funding. One Program was Stan Freberg and the Six Billion Dollar Misunderstanding. That program was a semi-humorous examination of the Federal budget. The other program was Milton Friedman's Free to Choose.

Eventually the conflict between his idea of no federal funding and total privately raised funding ended when he was removed by a Board of Directors that could not see any way to wean the station off of the Federal feeding trough.

Now, in the Higher Ed job, I run into a full gamut of political spectrum from the Ultra Liberal to the Ultra Conservative. The conservative side is growing in numbers as the federal mandates, rules, regulations and other intervention are becoming more onerous to all involved including the liberal oriented people.

One thing I have found is that Conservatives are generally more tolerant of views other than their own while Liberals are much quicker to attack the person and not the issues when questions are raised. Another thing I have noticed here is that the more the person responding is to list all the reasons they should be accepted as the authority, the less likely they are to accept someone who dissents from THEIR view.

Here is a link for Stan Freberg's 500 Billion Dollar Misunderstanding - The Federal Budget review. Freberg Video

Although this show was produced in the 1980's, it is still timeless as ever. Just change the numbers and you could air it today.

Below is a link to the web site for Free To Choose.
    Free to Choose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.