Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Now what???

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TC 
#1 ·
Started the year knocking off the rust and getting used to my gun again. Progressed to consistent 23s & 24s with the occasional 25. I'm feeling really confident. About that time I switched to RX shooting glasses instead of regular sunglasses, I expected some change and I did get a change. Shortly afterward my scores started in the tank and my confidence with them. It seemed like I wasn't "seeing" the targets. I wasn't sure if I was flinching and had someone watch me. They said they couldn't see anything except perhaps I wasn't putting my head on the same place on the gun each time. End of long story, things are slowly starting to improve but I am getting lost targets that I can't explain. The sight picture says the target should be dust, but nothing happens. The targets I am breaking are complete dusters, no chips.

I'm to the point of considering a coaching school or anything to get things sorted out. So where to begin looking for a coach? Any ideas?? What do you folks do when things fall apart??

Not trolling here, just desperate to improve and get my punch out of D class.

Hal Hitchcock

#2 ·
Hi Hal, You may have answered your own question with the statement "The sight picture says...". A lot of shooters fall into the trap of bead-checking whenever they change something, in order to satisfy their own subconscious that everything is still as it was. My advice is... relax, mount the gun without too much thought, look out past the traphouse,call, see the target clearly, pull the trigger while still focussing only on the target. If you continue to miss then you may need to start altering your gun. Plenty will disagree, but it's where I'd start. Kind Regards-Graham.

#3 ·
Graham is right. The sight picture should look the same as you mount your gun, but then your sight should shift to the area where the target comes out and you should no longer see your sights. Just look at the target and trust your gun. It works.

Pat Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.