1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Now This Takes The Cake

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JRW, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

Well I went to the gun shop today, and picked up my new Cynergy Trap O/U. Wife even was OK with purchase. Talked with a friend and we decided to break it in Sunday afternoon. I took it to my gun room to let it meet the other members of the family. Well we were going to shoot doubles so let's change chokes, Can you say FROZE I can not budge them at all. Jerry in MI.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Another good reason not to have a gun with choke tubes......

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

lol......back up a bit......

get some break free soak it, and work it back in forth,,,don't force it.. when you get it out clean everything and you will be ok!!!

this happens when guns set around for a couple of months.

tony

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Odd, I've never had a problem with choke tubes on any of my several shotguns.

5. JRW

JRW Member

Brian; I have at least 15 guns with tubes and this is a first for me. I just went down aand after spraying breakfree on it last night, the chokes are still froze. It may be time for the pipe wrench and torch. Jerry

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What type of choke wrench are you using? You should use one that has some leverage like these from Browning.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

After you get them out, put a little Permetex Break Free on the threads of the tube. You will never have a problem again. One tube has lasted me about 20 years, and it's still 3/4 full.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Use a strap wrench. Its probably a moot point, but I always have the gun shop/dealer take the tubes out before I take possession. Wayne

9. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Try putting pb blaster or breakfree in a jar and setting the end of the barrel in it for a day give the oil a chance to soak in and do its job spraying it on doesnt give it enough time to get in the threads. dont cheap out try wd40 if you can help it that stuffs only good for removing sticky stuff tape leaves behind now that there is better technology in making penetrating oils. Kirk

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A new gun with stuck tubes ?? Don,t shoot it take it back let the Gun Shop fix it IT,S NEW ?

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Find some Kroil!

12. warren

warren Member

I agree with Alf don't mess with it take it back and get a new gun, don't accept them just fixing it get a new gun. It's supposed to last a lifetime this is no way to start out with something your almost gonna be married to.

warren

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

win1911sl is this a used gun if not why are the tubes in the barrels. Unless things have changed the last gun I bought the tubes were in the little bottles that they come in.

Oh ya if it is new why are you trying to take the tubes out if you haven't fired the gun. Take it back to the dealer and have him do it or tell you want your money back or a different gun that doesn't have choke problems. If you haven't fired the gun why is it your responsibility for what ever problem comes with the gun you bought it in good faith. Let Browning deal with it. JMO

Bob Lawless

14. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I agree, it is a new gun. Take it back. If you don't trust them, and maybe you shouldn't, this will work. Lay the barrel down on ( horizontal) on something and put a box under the muzzle end. Use either Liquid Wrench or LPS.Box catches drippings and keeps this stinky shit off of your garage floor. Spray from the muzzle end, concentrating on the point where the end of barrel and the tube meet. There is enough gap to allow some penetrant to get to the threads.Repeat a couple times a day for three days. Clamp barrel in a vice ( use BIG) plastic shims. Get a Remington choke wrench. They are all steel and fit a Browning or Briley tube like a glove. With barrel clamped tight, apply lots of down pressure on wrench and tap handle with a dead blow hammer. Works every time. Good luck.

15. JRW

JRW Member

Bob Lawless Possibly I want different chokes than the ones that are there to shoot doubles with. The gun has never been fired it is new. Bob also I bought the gun I can change chokes if I want to. Jerry

16. JRW

JRW Member

I now have the barrels standing with tube end in jar of liquid wrench. Thank you for the replies. Jerry

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jerry I was trying to be helpful!!! Not to worry I won't bother again.

I am however curious if you buy a new car that has a warranty and the transmission doesn't shift or the power windows don't work do tinker with it yourself or take it back to the dealer??????

"Bob also I bought the gun I can change chokes if I want to."

Very good if you screw one of them up taking it out yourself do you think the factory will honor the warranty????

Bob Lawless

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<blockquote>Jerry: <i> I now have the barrels standing with tube end in jar of liquid wrench. Thank you for the replies. Jerry </i></blockquote>

If you want to shorten & streamline the process, stand the jar & barrel on a boombox playing rap-junk, or on your washing machine, or dryer ...

Bob

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bob, if I was a manufacturer, I would not ship a shotgun without a choke tube installed, because of the liability of some dumbass shooting the gun without installing a choke tube. Do any manufacturers actually ship a shotgun without a choke tube installed?

20. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Can't say I've experienced that problem but, experienced things that were worse from a mechanical stand point. I second the suggestion of Kroil. Best thing I've found that works. Followed by PB Blaster.

If you don't feel like dealing with a never-seize type choke thread lube, use STOS or SuperLube Synthetic, more grease like. If a gun is put up for a long time and was cleaned prior any choke thread lube should last for 20 years just setting there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.