1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Now this is a blank

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Baron23, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

A blank for an SX-1 project I have going on. Complete with matching fore end blank for $700. Marblecake English Walnut.

2. 1oz

1oz Member

Cecil has some beautiful wood, Baron i also visited Mr. Hurst a few weeks ago and met Boone . I saw your blank 1st hand it is very nice . I'm in the process of purchasing some wood from Cecil for a project and also getting Boone to do another stock for me .

3. Baron23

Yes it is from Cecil. I didn't post this with regard to any other particular thread about wood...just playing around trying to find how to post pics and its worked....but wood threads were on my mind LOL

By the way, can you post multiple pics in a single post..if so, what do you delimit the URLs with?

Don't remember the dimensions off-hand...its with the stock maker now. But remember, this is for a auto, it would be too short to stock say a side lock SxS. Such a blank would cost much more in order to get that consistent figuring in a larger piece of wood, I believe. But its plenty for an SX-1 with 14 5/8" LOP and offset comb and toed out. Stockmaker is going to try to move the stock back further than shown by the template in the pics in order to capture more of the figure at the back end....we will see how he does at that.

Cheers

4. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

That is a very nice blank! I have bought several English blanks from Cecil Fredi,and he is top shelf. If you ever visit Las Vegas, You owe it to yourself to visit his place. You won't believe it. Make sure you got plenty of time if you do, as i was there about three hours. He is in old downtown Vegas.
    And the best part is, No 7th grade BS.

Who you gonna let cut the Blank?

Dan

5. Baron23

Mr. Mulchahy - The gun is being engraved by Ken Hurst in North Carolina, please see the artwork we are using for the left side of the gun. Ken has recommended a young fella name of Boone Berlin who has moved into Ken's small town...I would guess they are a bit of a mini-guild.

Boone is working with an over sized pattern stock for an SX-1 that I got from Wenig...we will see, if he does well there, then we will send both out for duplication and I will let Boone checker and oil finish...he is a very nice fella, quite a perfectionist, and I didn't feel like waiting two years as you may with some custom stock makers. I did see some of his work last I visited Robersonville a month or so ago...I feel confident he will do a very good job, and again...its stock work on an auto, not a bar-in-wood hammer gun.

By the by, engraving is being done on a slick sided NIB very late model trap gun...the very last of them did not have the rolled engraving so its perfect. Ernest Marlette will do gunsmithing work and the best high polish bluing you have ever seen. Animals will be in gold inlay with a very thin gold border. Scroll is much more lush and extensive than on factory pigeon grade guns (by the way, I superimposed the art work on picture of a Pigeon SX-1 which, funny enough, were engraved by Ken's old business when he did production engraving).

Cheers

6. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

I would love to see the finished project. Very Nice! Thanks for the info. I have a couple of really nice sx's as well as one of Bob Baumgarts last guns. I don't have English on any of them as I used the English on Perazzi projects instead.

How will the left side be engraved?

Dan

7. Baron23

Right side per your request. If you look close, you will see I pasted two or three segments of the same picture together into scene...but its good enough for Ken to work from, won't be THAT many ducks!!

Yeah, English would go on a fine guns OU or SxS...this will probably be the one of the most expensive SX-1s around LOL...its a labor of love. I do miss Bob Baumgart, he was a good guy. If you are looking for an excellent SX-1 gunsmith, may I recommend Ernest Marlette. He is primarily known as a K-80 guy, particularly a great trigger guy, but he also goes excellent work on SX-1s. (336) 761-0433, marlettebuilders@hotmail.com. Ernest is in Winston-Salem and many in the mid-Atlantic and southeast know of him.

Next project will probably be upgrading and refurbishing a Sterlingworth...but I'm in no rush for another project right now.

Cheers

8. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Very Nice........... Dan

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Baron23

To post multi pictures since you are using photobucket then all you have to do is copy and paste the HTML link into the body of text of your post and if you want to write anything about the photo then go ahead and then if you want to post another photo then it is best to hit the enter button a couple of times before hand so it will make a break between the pictures.

You can put as many as you want by using the HTML. link in the text body.

Foggy

10. Baron23

MX-8 - yeeeeeeah, its gonna be a bit pricey by the time we get done...more than an SX-1 deserves, but I have been thinking and planning this gun for a few years now and just wanted to do it. I have an old friend of mine who, when asked by a shrink what he thought an obession was replied; "uuuuh, something to do?" LOL

Foggy - thanks...I figured out using the image link and tried to seperate multiple URL addresses but that didn't work. I will now use HTML in the body of the text. I appreciate your taking the time to educate me. Matter of fact, here is the other side of the blank (just as an experiment). The sap wood is only on the surface.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Cheers

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You guys could give a little more info as to where this kind of blank is available for that price. Bill

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Baron, Are you going to have him do Wood ducks or are you just using that as a template to show the size it will take up? That would be neat if you did it in Wod Ducks VS the more traditional mallards. I would say you have assembled an excellent crew to do the job. I can't wait to see it when it is all done. I hope you will be nice enough to show us the project when it is all done. Jeff

13. Notime2

Notime2 TS Member

Baron, Wood you adopt me? he..he..he.

Seriously, as a Winchester fan and owner of 2 field grade SX-1's yours will definately distract any nearby shooters. Now the wood duck tie & English tweeds...traditional & classy.

I've got to stop and look at your pictures again...Thanks for sharing..

14. Baron23

Hi Jeff - well, the art was not so much just a size template, but was also the layout and scene that we are doing...ducks over a farm pond with all the rest. I nfact, while the scroll is more dense and lush, Ken has opened up a slightly bigger space for the scenes than on facotry Pigeons. We were going to do ducks in flooded timber, but I like this look a bit better when we went over the art work I printed out and took down there .

I haven't specified the type of duck or even thought of it. I know that I can, and should, only keep a loose collar on Ken (so to speak) and take avantage of his experience and skill. After our many discussions, I feel we are on the same page and he understands what appeals to me in these scenes and will do his best to render that in metal.

I will, however, talk to him about wood ducks....I think you are completely right and its a super idea. He has the scroll and gold wire framing done and is now drawing out the layout of the scenes. This is a perfect time to bring it up.

I will certainly post pictures here when it is done...I'm thinking end of Mar but Ken thinks that this is too pessimistic...for my part, all this gun project stuff always seems to take forever. LOL

Mr. Grill - this wood was from Cecil Fredi in L.V. He came highly recommended to me by a number of people and I found them to be correct. He was very easy to work with, prompt, straight forward, and he has a reputation for making it right without problems if there is somthing wrong with the blank or you don't want it once you see it in person. I believe he sent me a batch of pictures of around 60 blanks and if I didn't want any of them, we would just keep looking at more.

Please remember, as I mentioned above, this is a blank suitable for an auto. Its a bit too short to stock an OU or SxS and larger blanks do tend to cost more. His contact data is;

Cecil Fred
    Gunstock Blanks, LLC
    2017 Pinto Lane
    Las Vegas, NV 89106-4018
    (702) 382-8470
    (702) 387-0071 (fax)
    blankscf@cox.net
    www.gunstockblanks.com

Cheers

Stephen Meyers

15. Baron23

Hi Notime2 - naw, no country gent tie and short pants for me. I did, however, spend 3-4 months in my spare time seaching the web for any and all bird hunting art and cover art of very old vintage Outdoor Life, F&S, and other magazines. Lot of guys in ties and tweeds hunting. There is a lot of stuff out there. I must have started with 50 or more captured images and worked my way down to these. It was entertaining (and frustrating) and I learned a lot about the hunting sports art and artists (most of which I have already forgotten).

Also, I'm going to shoot this gun. I have other SX-1's for regular use, but I will shoot this one on occasion...I'm sure it will get a ding in it somewhere.

Thanks

16. Baron23

These were the top ten blanks, in my view, from Cecil when I was looking for this stock. The number (e.g. 700 or 650) on the tags is the price to include matching fore end...again, these are blanks for autos only.

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok Baron23

You must have copy and pasted the Image link instead of the HTML one.

Go back and edit your post and use theHTML link instead and it should work I garuntee it.

Foggy>>>>

18. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok Baron23 I psted before I saw you multi pict's I think you got the hang of it now.

Email me if you want.

FOG>>>>>

19. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Beautiful and reasonably priced wood..ABD

20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Wher's Gordy??? From the look of these blanks they could be priced at twice this price and then he could run 1/2 price specials? Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.