1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Now that made me feel old...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by atashooter, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atashooter

atashooter Member

I got a call from a nieghbor today that he needed help getting a car to run right. I get there and he had bought a 67 Chevelle for his son. Now, Dad is not mechanically inclined at all, and the last car Junior had was a 92 Mustang. The Chevelle was popping and spitting badly when you gave it gas. Junior tells me he has replaced tha carb twice, and put cap rotor wires and plugs in it. I asked " What about the points and condenser"? The reply was " What the hell is that"? Ah, It's making me feel younger everyday.....

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I forgot all about those little buggers. No fun at all when my truck had those dual points w/cond. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

atashooter,

Did you get your matchbook out and set the points? The cardboad used in those matchbooks was usually between .017" - .019", just what's needed for a V/8 Chevy.

I sure hope you handed jr. a charged condencer for him to look at.

ss

4. atashooter

atashooter Member

Yep, points were fried. I showed him how to install new ones, gap them and set the dwell. The bad part was Junior made the statement " Man, ya'll Old Timers know yer stuff don't ya".

Snot nosed little punk......

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I still have my 1974 Pensky dwell meter and timing light. I keep them JIC I run into an old car. The last vehicle I had that used points and condenser ignition was a 1973 Pinto wagon. I had to regap and set timing every 3500 miles if i wanted top gas mileage. These days even my lawn mower uses electronic ignition.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, I remember those days. Carried a feeler gauge on the dash or floor board. I too have a Penske "auto analyzer" that I got from Sears.

Tune ups? What do you do to today's cars? I got a pickup with 150k miles and still have original plugs in it

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bisi,

I'd sell that truck before you try to put new plugs in it. Have you ever heard of dissimiliar metal corrosion. Aluminum and steel don't play well together.

ss

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

timb99,

That may be, but the factory doesn't use it on spark plugs. It causes wierd things to happen during the ignition process. Computers don't do well when this happens.

ss

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have to say points, condensers, carbs, etc. do bring back memories. I gotta also say I don't miss them very much though.

Remember carb kits? I tried them once or twice before wising up and buying a complete rebuilt Qjet vice attempting to rebuild when the need arose (yep, I is a Chevy man). The inventor of the carburetor was a sick and demented soul.

I even converted my 62 Panhead to an electronic ignition... sacrilege? Probably, but my kick start leg appreciates the technology! It still has a carb though--albeit a very, very simple one.

Guy Babin

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Now ask a member of today's generation where you pointed the timing light and what you moved to change it.

Don

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Who bent that wrench like that???? LOL.... I've heard that more than once.. Also.. where are the batteries for a timing light...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.