1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Novice reloader question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Coachr, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coachr

Coachr TS Member

Please do not judge my ignorance. Just help. I am reloading Remington green hulls(Gun Club, Sport Load, Heavy Dove). I am using Greenduster 1 oz wads. Claydot powder with a #30 bushing in a Mec reloader giving about 17.4 grains per load. Nobel primers. Last night at the skeet range my 1100 was occasionally belching flames from the ejection port. (very distracting while trying to shoot doubles especially at night) Do you think my charge is too light, heavy or is it a gun problem? or a components problem? This gun has a lot of experience. Thanks to the learned who respond.
    ron s

2. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I'm by no measure an expert. As the 1100 is semi-auto, it sounds like loads are heavy with extra powder still buring while the action is cycling. I would check the books for a lighter load.

John MI

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I would agree with John, sounds like the powder is not all being burned off at once.

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

This is usually caused by "HOT" primers. The primer continues to burn and at night you will see about a 8-10 inch flame. I am left handed and using Alcan primers in an 1100 it would be scary at night. This stopped happening when I went to AA primers with the same load.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A common night time occurence with the autos and to be ignored according to multiple threads here in the past but no personal experience......Bob Dodd

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Change to the Winchester or Federal primer and it will be decreased substantially. Just be sure to double check the data and adjust the powder charge if needed. Some primers seem to do this more often with certain powders.

7. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

This happens to me all the time at night and in rain or very damp weather, shooting my 1100 TC with Red Dot. I have a picture of the gun with all kinds of fire coming out of the action at the Southwest Grand this year.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

At night it is possible to see a flame at the end of barrels as the shot leaves the barrel. In automatics, the flame can be seen at both the ejection port and the end of the barrel. Powder is burning in the barrel and a flame is to be expected. Heavy loads will generate more flame than light loads.

John- When shooting doubles at night try your best to concentrate on the second bird, not the flame at the port.

Pat Ireland

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You can clean the flame up a little, but it will always be present on a auto. It's there in the daytime, but you don't notice it.

ss

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Coachr:

As previously noted, a flame at the ejection port is pretty common and more noticable after dark. It is NOT in and of itself an indication of a problem with your reloads.

sissy

PS: I started shooting clay targets with an 1100 and eventually shot the guts out of one. The amount of wear is a non-factor. You'll get the flames whether your gun is new or one that's well worn.

11. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

This is really noticeable with a lefty shooting a righty gun. after a while you will get to the point that it doesn't bother you. I wouldn't like it shooting doubles at night.

Bob

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

1100's just do this. Shot at night for years...thought the flames coming out once in a while were cool...I mean, well, you know what I mean.

Bruce

13. Coachr

Coachr TS Member

Thanks folks. I knew I could count on you. Great info on this site. I learned how to make my own shot here. I agree capvan....it is kinda cool.

14. capvan

capvan Active Member

Maybe we should get some of those flame decals like they have on cars and put them on the gun. Now THAT would be neat.

Bruce

15. maka

maka Member

Make sure you use good eye protection. This same effect occured with my 1100 also. Occationally I felt bits of burned powder hitting my face. Change to WIN. primers helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.