1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice of the death of Gary Rainey

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I was just informed that Gary Rainey has passed. I don't know any other details but will try to post as I hear any.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. highway

highway Member

Is this Gary Rainey of Illinois? I had the boy in class about thiry five years ago. I hope not.

Roger

4. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Roger ,

I am hoping it isn't the Gary we knew but am afraid that it is.

As you know he was a great kid and grew into a fine young man.
    Gary and his father Ralph are part of the trapshooting memories of my youth.
    I shot many derbies with Ralph and Gary at Keysport, Shobonier and other little clubs.

Ralph built and operated a trap and skeet faculity near Carlyle Ill. for a period of time which I shot at. I remember Gary kicking butt as a Jr shooter when he started shooting registered targets.

Gary later worked as a pro for Winchester and later for Federal.

My last contaact with Gary was at the last Grand at Vandalia when he gave me a Federal T shirt.

A sad day for those that knew Gary.

Ed. Torbeck

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Barry...

Any further details?

milt

6. Barry C. Roach

Gary was buried today in Carlyle, IL. He had been living with Hogdkins disease, in remission and quite robustly, for a long while but eventually lost the fight. I spoke with mutual friend, Brant Frey, who attended the funeral today and they spoke with Gary's father, Ralph. They said Ralph looked pretty healthy.

I will write more later.

7. highway

highway Member

I had also not seen Gary since Vandalia, and am really saddened hearing this.
    This was an athletic family, as my understanding is that Ralph was Golden Gloves Boxer in his youth. My best wishes to those in the extended family who remain

Roger

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Thanks for the update Barry. Such sad news.

Gary was one of the better Illinois Jr. shooters when I started out back in the 70's. Gary, Frank Haynes and Danny Miller were a little older than me and I looked up to those guys in my Sub Jr. years.

Gary was the 1973 Illinois State Jr. Singles Champion 198/200.

Last time I spoke with Gary was at one of the Vandalia Grands. He was with Winchester at the time and our fathers were both camped out in the rows of hospitality chairs they put out for the shooters back then. At that time we came to the concensus that his dad Ralph and my dad probably had about 75 Grand Americans attended between them.

9. Barry C. Roach

My good friend, Brant Frey sent these photos of Gary. I'm happy to share them with you. This is how I want to remember him. Shootin', winning and happy.
    barrycroach_2008_0303161.jpg

barrycroach_2008_0303162.jpg

10. FIB

FIB Member

Well said Barry C. Roach. I think all of us after our passing want to be remembered as we were when we were young and healthy!

11. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

When I was about 12 years old, shooting in the Ohio Handicap Championship in Vandalia Ohio, I tied Gary Rainey for the Non-Resident High Jr. or Sub Jr. trophy. Think about that for a second...Ohio was the largest State Shoot in the country, and they had a total of one trophy for all non-resident Juniors and Sub-Juniors combined, in their Handicap Championship event. That was a different time in shooting, and I digress...

Anyways, back to the story...I was tied for that one trophy with Gary Rainey. Wow!!! I'm tied with the current Captain of the All-American Junior Team. Again, I say, Wow!!! To a 12 year old kid that followed trapshooting the way that I did (and for the most part still do), this was huge. To a 12 year old boy, tieing Gary Rainey at that time, was equivalent in my mind to having the good fortune of shooting off with the greatest trapshooter that ever lived. Gary Rainey was larger than life to me...

Well, I shot off with Gary that evening in Vandalia, on two separate traps. Gary was on the 27 yard line, and I think I was still on the 18 yard line. Gary defeated me soundly that evening in the shoot-off, and I admired him even more than I had beforehand.

That was my very first "Big" shoot-off, and I'll never forget it. Thank you Gary for the memories...I'll see you on the other side. Prayers sent for all of Gary's family, loved ones, and friends.

peace.

12. Barry C. Roach

Nicely shared, Carl. Great story.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How sad for this young man to leave all his loved ones and friends too soon! I didn't know Gary personally but recall seeing him shoot in Vandalia!

Carl C., what a nice tribute you wrote for Gary my friend! I'm sure his family and friends appreciate that a lot!

Friendship is one of the many things that makes our sport the best of the best, to the end.

My family's condolences to Gary's family and friends, God's speed Gary.

Gene Hapney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1980 usa trap shooting team gary rainey

carl chadwell