1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Note to Buyers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mflora, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mflora

mflora Member

I am an occasional seller and buyer on the Forum. I enjoy looking at, and dreaming about, shotguns as much as anyone. In all fairness to sellers however, if you REALLY want to buy an item, let the seller know clearly. To imply that you will buy just to keep a deal open is not fair to other buyers or the seller who just ends up w/ people mad at him. Just a thought.
    Mark

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

Mark
    With all due respect. Until someone say I'll take it and confirms the method of payment the item is still up for sale.

They can take all the time they want to ponder but the first person to show up with the money gets it.

JMHO YMMV

Shawn

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

That Shawn KNOWS what he is talking about.

Rick in MT

4. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I bought my safe off of craigslist. When I called the woman said it was sold, and being held for a guy coming in four days to get it. I said I could pick it up in one hour with cash in hand. The safe looks nice in my garage.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have the philosphy: Deals don't mean squat until money changes hands. Until then, they are in a type of "escrow", social and emotional and practical.

David

6. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have also seen buyers on this very site tell a seller "I will take it" with in body of thread and NEVER get a PM or # to contact seller. Then later find out the seller sold it to someone else that didnt even make a reply on the original thread..Seller states, "I recieved a PM from him first". I think the reply in open forum takes precidence then the PM follows.

This of no fault of buyer #1. Sellers should have some integrity as well!

7. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

I disagree himark. Someone using a pm may not want to be identified as a purchaser on the thread in case of a re-sell, or parting out deal at a later date. If I know that someone buys a gun for certain amount, then parts it out, mathmatics can take place and it will be hard for seller to get what they need out of parts and pieces left over. Time stamp on either thread or PM trumps in my opinion. Two fish on at once is a salesman's dream. Three fish on at once, and your price was too low from the start. l.g.

8. ctreay

ctreay Member

Money talks and the stuff walks!

ctreay

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Emails and PMs take a back seat to a phone call between the two parties.

10. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I agree with himark! This very situation has happened to me twice now in the last month. I am very frustrated with the way things are handled on this site. Two bad experiences, and maybe there won't be a third. I don't want to accuse anyone but that kind of gives all the sellers here reason to worry.
    Chuck

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you want something bad enough, post on the thread, send a PM, AND an email, where available. The buyer should NOT rely on a post on the thread as the only means of communication though, I consider it more of a notification that I should soon expect an email and/or PM. If you are interested enough in the item to post on the thread, surely you can take a couple seconds and send a PM or email (or both).

Whoever has the earliest time stamp, be it on the thread, PM, or email will be the one that gets the item I'm selling.

However, an "I'll take it" trumps questions or "I might be interested" in a heartbeat.

When I get an "I'll take it", I finalize details via PM or email, then request that the buyer verify that we're good to go. That is the trigger for me to know that they're definitely serious, and that the funds are in the mail. If that doesn't happen fairly quickly (within a day or two), I'm moving on to the next buyer in line. And if the funds don't show up in a week or so, I send a note letting the buyer know I have yet to receive funds, and if I don't receive a reply, I'm moving on to the next buyer in line.

I let one guy string me along for a month an an 1100 timney trigger (someone who still posts here BTW), I can assure you that'll never happen again (and after I FINALLY gave up on him, I had another buyer lined up in less than 24 hours LOL).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.