1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Not trap shooting, but shooting related (Sporting)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

So . . . I don't shoot competitive trap - nor competitive skeet for that matter - just casual rounds with friends on the weekends. A few of my friends have been trying to coerce me into shooting sporting clays. On the trap or skeet range the goal it seems, for the most part, is to break 100 x 100. And there are countless numbers of shooters that do in either trap or skeet. But from what I can tell there aren't many, if any, perfect scores on sporting courses. Since each course is different and even though you may beat your friends, how do you judge how "good" you are if you break 50 one course and 80 on a different ? There's enough of the Type A in me that if I do something I like to think I am improving - how do you tell as a sporting clays shooter ?

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

The sporting clays guys hang out here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=95

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Its kinda like golf meaning each course is different and has its degree of difficultly from station to station and no perferct scores.See what the pack is scoring and judge yorself from that.
    Jim

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sporting clays is for those people that cannot (for a myriad of reasons) be competitive in trapshooting.

Curt

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Whatever you do, don't shoot sporting clays. It's a highly addictive game that'll teach you a lot about shot placement and how over-choked most trapshooting guns are.

ss

6. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

grnberetcj wrote: "Sporting clays is for those people that cannot (for a myriad of reasons) be competitive in trapshooting."

Let me fix that statement for you. "Sporting clays is for those people that do not wish to fall asleep from repetition and boredom."

or

"Sporting clays is for those people that want the challenge of a shotgun game where 100 straight is the exception, rather than the rule."

I could go on but personally, I am just glad to see folks having fun and shooting, no matter which discipline they prefer.

7. TPH

TPH TS Member

If you're smiling, you're doing great.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The National Sporting Clay Association is testing a system of using averages
    to classify shooters. The current systems of using "punches" has resulted
    in too many shooters in AA and Master class.
    The realignment of shooters based on "normalized" scoring will result in most shooters dropping down in class.
    Like many 27 yard shooters who aren't competive at that yardage but don't want a reduction, this will piss off a lot of the Master shooters.
    It will, however, be a compulsory reduction in class.

9. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

"Sporting clays is for those people that want the challenge of a shotgun game where 100 straight is the exception, rather than the rule."

Prairieviper nailed it!!

10. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Am a life member of both ATA and more recently NSCA. The NSCA
    performs circles around the ATA. That said shooters are great people
    in both sports. 100's are not as common in trap doubles and less in
    sporting clays. SC targets vari in difficulty. Joe Kennedy (NSCA direct-
    tor) has come up with what I think is a very good idea (take Your Score/HOA score of that shoot). EX. you shoot 80, HOA was 91 your comparitive score is 88.
    Next shoot your score 80/HOA98=82 comparitive score. This gives a feel of how you actually shot. It is experimental this year, but may be used in class-
    ification in future. The state, zone, and other large shoots have very diff-
    icult targets and your score may be alot better than you thought.

Have fun with both sports, Gary Owen

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Got that one on the 1st cast with old bait....just too easy!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.