1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Not tossing your hulls ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

At every club I shoot at all the fields are maintained by volunteers. Most of the shooters place their hulls in their pouches or mesh bags on their vests. However a few shooters deliberately eject their hulls. Would it be improper for me to ask these shooters to hold their hulls. Most of the volunteers are over 60 with bad backs.

Phil Berkowitz

2. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I have the same thought.

If it throws them from an auto thats one thing but out of a gun you can catch them from I like to see those put in the trash can......

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You need a sign prominently placed and need to remind the shooters often. It has always been a given that kicking your empties is considered part of the game so you'll be swimming aganist the current. Not worth losing shooters over, in my opinion.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree Phil. I see the single barrel trap gun shooters ejecting them behind them like it is a game. If they had to help clean up maybe they would think about it

5. Mark V

Mark V Member

At my club if you make the mess, you clean it up. IMHO, it's not improper to expect people to clean up after themselves. It's difficult enough trying to get people to volunteer in the first place. Expecting the volunteers to clean up after the others is out of line. On the trap field we encourage the use of shell catchers for singles, but of course it's not mandatory. On the skeet fields you pickup your mess. If people don't like it, they can shoot elsewhere.

6. Drusso

Drusso Member

Many clubs including ours ask the shooters to pick their hulls. We have trash cans next to each shooter for simplicity. Some people like to eject their hulls during the round onto the ground. It's no big deal....after the round they should pick up after themselves. Most clubs are volunteer or at best limited on hired help. We need to do our part to clean up our own mess......

Damian

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We use a plastic rake/fork tool that eliminates back strain and scoop the hulls into tubs (no bending required). One person can easily clean up a field in about 10 minutes. Most guys don't want to mess around with hulls when they are shooting and it isn't because they are inconsiderate or lazy. In fact these same guys that let their hulls fly gladly help clean up the range when the shooting is done.

On the bigger events we pay trap help (kids) to do this work and that money comes from the shooters so really if the shooter wants to let em fly that is fine because they are paying for the privilege. Last thing we want to do is make things more difficult for our shooters.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

More and more clubs in my area are putting boxes beside each post as a none to subtle hint to shooters. There are some who ignore them but for the most part if you make it clear to folks that they should clean up after themselves they will do it. What really amazes me is the guy who goes to the line with a hull bag and still ejects his empties on the field.

--- Chip King ---

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

It is unnecessary and akin to littering. You don't throw trash out your vehicle window do you? If it is a registered shoot and you paid an enormous amount of money for target fees, I could see some littering occurring. I just have the common courtesy to pick-up after myself. So do my boys.

10. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

if you want to kick them out do so they posted a sign at our club a few years ago saying you can't kick your shells out any more what a problem it caused I being one of the past pres. of the club followed the old school rule kick them out and please pick them up later by the end of the day all signs that were posted were shot to pieces and we didn't have a problem with that also all of the hulls were picked

11. ouch

ouch Member

If you ever fall on an empty rolling under your foot you will change your thoughts on this topic. I would rather loose a shooter because they are mad about not being able to litter than not see them for weeks while they heal up. As far as paying kids to help,Tip them,Pay them to paint,Trim weeds ect. Picking up garbage purposely tossed on the ground is not a good investment.Richard

12. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

if you fall on a hull you wern/t paying attention or to old to shoot any more we can't afford to lose shooters for something as dumb as kicking out your shells

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Our club started putting a 5 gal paint bucket at each station for hulls, it works

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Must be a slow day. Hulls ejected on the ground are part of the game. Reloaders started saving the empties so they could reload them. Some hulls are worth five cents or more so the clubs that pick them up and sell them make a little extra profit. Never seen anyone trip over a empty hull let alone be injured by one. I dislike having automatics throw them at me when I'm shooting and I'm not shy about telling the offender so. With all the problems in the shooting world with the present adminastration I would think ejecting shells on the ground would be the least of a shooters worries. Post-2

15. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Signs on each trap at our home range:

<I><center>
    YOUR WIFE DOESN'T WORK HERE...

PICK UP YOUR OWN MESS...

OR GO HOME!</center></I>

Carol Lister

16. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I learned something really neat this week end while shooting at the new Gateway Gun Club in St. Louis MO -- they were using a simple Home Depot construction site magnet that had an adjustable handle about 3 feet long to pick up the hulls - and it really took no time at all to pick up a field. The magnet is about a foot long and maybe 1 1/2 inches wide - I bet you all have seen these. They said very few hulls were brass now and the magnet worked just fine. Also and by the way -- the new Gateway Club is great - go shoot there when you can. the beav

17. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Last friday, I worked our clubs shoot, set up ,work the line, etc. (yes I`m one of those with a bad back).

We always have buckets, with burlap liners at each station, but one young guy(he`s 17), would just let his hulls fly. After his second round I very quietly informed him," You will pick your hulls up, or you will need to have them surgically removed from your post exterior! "

After we both had a little laugh, he picked up his hulls, looked at me, and said, "You may have been smiling, but I know you weren`t kidding."

Avery bright young man. LL

Tom R.

18. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have seen a couple of signs like carol says. I have also been to clubs that give you a hard time for picking up your drops because they want them to sell. It could go either way.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Having the trap help paint and pull weeds during a shoot ..... wow that's a stellar idea.

Never really thought of picking up hulls as actual work but evidently it is a deal buster for some of you. I'll bet you don't clean the heads at your club either.

20. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Seems that some of you folks want us to police the field to pick up our wads also, right? After all, it is stil litter as some say. How about we shovel the dirt in front of the trap and take it home to reclaim our shot that litters the area in front of the trap? Ya'll be happy then?

Gne J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.