1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

not sure

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I shot St. Joe (north of Ft. Wayne In) today. Before you think this is sour grapes, I shot just fine! I have shot every In northern zone since I moved back here in 2004 plus one central zone and one regular registered shoot! The grounds were outstanding, the bird setting was fine and the new clubhouse was fabulous! I get amused when people wonder out loud why this club has poor small shoots! Yep, we had a whopping 11 squads on a fabulous day! The shoot started at 9:13 with a 9:00 start time! This did not shock me! However, over 1 hour elapsed between 100s!
    Can someone explain to this old impatient bastard the sense in that!? I won't even
    go into the wasted labor dollars! For this reason, I did not even wait around to see if I might be in a shootoff with a 198 for vet or A class! It would have taken another 2 hours to see and then an hour and 40 minute drive home! I love the guys and love the place, but they don't get it! Take this into consideration if you want to run a shoot at your place! Tom Rhoads

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

This seems pretty typical to me as far as most shoots go.

The people running the shoot are there for the entire day.

So they are working during that time and are not getting bored like most of the shooters are.

Seems one spends 8-10 hours for 1 to 1-1/2 hours shooting.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Tom ... did it ever occur to you that maybe some of the shooters like to rest and eat some lunch between the events? Especially all the older geezers!

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Good points Tom and clubs would be wise to heed your advice. It's boring enough waiting around forever for a few minutes of shooting, but clubs would be smart to minimize that.

Even if the next event starts promptly there is plenty of time for anyone to rest and eat since they are only shooting during a small amount of the total time for the event.

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Tom, are you the guy who wanted the round egg?

Nice shooting by the way. ;)

6. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

So, did you offer to help them out? I'm sure they could have started the next event sooner if they had just one more person helping... Maybe something simple like taking over for one of the pullers while they grab lunch.

I really enjoy ATA shoots, but this is the kind of thing that makes you wonder if it's worth the effort to host them at your club. Everyone there seems to be able to tell you how to run it better yet only a handful actually volunteer to help. It's particularly fun when someone thinks they won the event and asks you every minute or so if you have the scores all figured out so they can get their trophy or cash and leave. I've had people demand their trophy before the event is even finished -- of course they walked the trapline to find out if anyone left shooting is even close to their score (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

If you think it's a long day for you, think about the poor sap that had to get there at 6 AM and set everything up so that you could be shooting by 9:13 AM.

--Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.