1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Not shooting to protect average

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Active Member

Do you shoot in all kinds of weather or choose not to, to protect your average?
  2. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

I have heard that some think this is a form of "sandbagging"...but don't "flame" me for this. Just saying...not agreeing. Regards, Ed
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well If I go to a shoot and it rains, I shoot. My clothes will dry and the gun can be cleaned, dried and oiled. If the wind picks up, I shoot. If a cold front moves in, I put on more clothes and shoot. If it gets hot I hydrate and shoot. If I am in the mood to shoot trap, I shoot. Heck if you don't learn to shoot trap in inclimate around here, you will never get to shoot.
  4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I try to shoot year around unless the heat gets too bad. After my third heart attack I found that the 95+ high humidity days really drain me.

--- Chip King ---
  5. 635 G

635 G Active Member

I shoot to protect my health ,not my average--In Fl you have to shoot in wind & rain sometimes. I don't do well in the heat, passed out once. The other day there was extreme smoke from a local brush fire, I had to split since I have pleural scaring from asbestos exposure.

Phil Berkowitz
  6. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

I know a fellow shooter who drove 2 hours and got out of his car, then decided that the wind was to strong and drove right back home. This shooter was in contention for the state team.

I have never been in any contention for this type of award, so I have always shot in all types of weather. I know another trapshooter who shoots in all types of weather, and still has made the state trap team. He deserves the greatest amount of respect from fellow team shooters as well as the rest of the trapshooting fraternity.

In my opinion, fellow shooters know who cherry pick the days that they shoot, and know the shooters who shoot in all types of weather. Here in the Wisconsin area, we have very few days to shoot in pristine conditions. To each his own, as they pay for their own entry fee, and they can choose to shoot in any conditions they like.
    Steve Balistreri
  7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Enjoyment does not include shooting in 30 mph wind and 20 degrees temp. That enjoyment means almost certainly your average goes down and you'll be in a lower class or yardage when the big shoots start in the Summer. It's called sandbagging and needs no further interpretation!!
  8. bkt514

bkt514 Member

I am a class C shooter, and I shoot in all the meets I enter. Would it make a difference in my average if I only shot in Good Weather?....I doubt it! I like to shoot because of the people, the reloading, and my interest in the sport!
  9. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I never shot a gun in my life until fall of last year. (except for 50 rounds of a pistol 15 years ago). After a couple months I just started shooting registered trap this year. Each shoot my scores have gotten better and that is with my best scores coming on a windy day, and then this past weekend when it was 90+ degrees. I am glad to shoot in bad weather, because if I can raise my score in bad weather, then it means I am improving. Unless it was unsafe to shoot in the weather, I will be out there banging away at those targets hoping to get better and better.
  10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

I've shot in just about every weather condition you can think of. I don't shoot in the rain anymore...too old, sore and arthritic to want to make it worse....
  11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

I think years ago there were more shooters shooting for a high average. I don't see that so much anymore with fewer shoots and fewer clubs than there used to be.
  12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Active Member

No shoot in rain anymore, not any fun at all.

As far as wind and temps, I do very well in wind plus it adds a little more challenge, anything under 40 degrees or over 105 degrees, well, let me know how it went.
  13. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

I do not believe that if you shoot in all types of weather that you are sandbagging, as some people just like to shoot.

I stopped worrying about sandbaggers years ago. If they are that good of a shot, that they can pick a shoot to shoot well and hit the money, they are certainly better than me and most of us.

What ever happened when you signed up to shoot and the classification committee would through out your abnormally low scores?

I sometimes wonder if we worry more about sandbagging than we need to. Obviously, if you are shooting for $100,000.00 at the grand this type of money will attract every possible person, good and bad.
    Steve Balistreri
  14. Luvs2shoot

Luvs2shoot Active Member

I try to avoid shooting in the rain. I don't like getting wet or my gun for that matter. My opinion is: that its your money, and your shooting time, do it the way you want to. Where does sandbagging come into play?

John
  15. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

My opinion is that unless you've been in the situation and had to make the call for yourself to shoot or not shoot to protect your average (which a VAST majority have never and will never be in), you have no right to judge anyone else for doing the same.
  16. mag410

mag410 Member

Lets see, Joe Silcapoke shoots year-round in all kinds of weather. He artificially depresses his real average by shooting "D" class scores in the wind and the rain. He shoots "A" class scores in good weather. He shows up for the state shoot and shoots in "C" class and runs 199. Joe isn't a sandbagger? But the guy who tries to shoot up to his real ability and won't shoot in bad weather because he does not want to shoot a bad score is a sandbagger? Really?

Michael Goines
  17. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to keep their averages high, how could at be sandbagging???

On the other hand, if a guy shoots a 75 on a rainstorms, or 50 mile an hour winds, then shoots a 99 on a calm, clear day, how many people would be inclined to look at those up and down scores, without any knowledge of weather conditions and then say, " this guy's a sandbagger, shoots a 75 at small shoot, goes to the State and shoots a 99."?????
  18. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I shoot to the best of my ability everytime I go out. I don't shoot for a high average but if I end up with one then good for me. With that being said, I shoot for my own enjoyment and for fun. If I go to a shoot where there is bad weather then I have to ask myself if it will still be fun and enjoyable. I'm not going to spend my money to stand out in the rain and shoot and be miserable. Shooting in a little wind is still fun to me and I'm OK if my score drops a little. You have to ask yourself what you are shooting for. Dwayne
  19. husker

husker TS Member

If the wind is in my face . . . I leave my gun in the case.
    If the wind is on my back . . . I put my gun in the rack.
  20. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

I'm kinda sorry I even mentioned the "s..." word as it really doesn't accurately apply to the thread subject. I am one of those who doesn't enjoy shooting in the rain, etc. or because of conflicting events/priorities, etc.; however, I do admire those who can enjoy shooting when challenged by the weather or other issues (health?). That said, I don't have much of an average to "protect" anyway. So, enjoy shooting however it suits your pursuit of fun. Best Regards, Ed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.