1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

not knowing how to type

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Does not knowing the proper method of typing increase spelling mistakes. I for one am a 2 finger stare at key board type.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mac, I think our inability to type properly influences our desires to be able to type in a speedy fashion. It has a negative effect.I found that when I go slower and read what I just typed I make less mistakes. Mike

3. laura!

laura! Member

typing with one finger keeps your trigger finger in shape. If you read what your typing while your typing with one finger it replaces the need to do eye finger aerobics. It may even cure flinching. With these great avantages who cares about spelling?

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

"With these great avantages who cares about spelling?" Especially if you're talking about "advantages".

Eric

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have been using voice recognition software for about 10 years. Great stuff.

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

At our recent 50th year high school reunion, in my bio I stated that the unquestionably, single, most useful knowledge learned and used almost every day of my life since came from Mrs. Molander's typing class in....(gulp).... 1954. Now, kids text message and don't use words - just abbreviations. Best Regards, Ed

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed, you must be very old. I did not take my typing class until 1959. It was a non credit class and was not required, but the English teachers required all of our essays to be typed. I learned on some sort of obsolete machine made by Underwood. These typing machines must now be stored in the same place that slide rulers are housed.

Pat Ireland

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahaa ... Pat ... I remember using slide rules way up into the '70s!

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

MIA,

I have been using a product called Dragon Naturally Speaking. I have used it to create some very long and complex documents such as SEC and state security filings, business plans, etc.. It allowed me to become much more productive because I no longer had to hand write my documentation, give it to a secretary for typing, and then resubmit it for correction. I'm able to dictate directly onto the computer page and correct as I go. It works in virtually all text boxes such as this one.

The good news is that the 21st century has room for even you. Why don't you join us?

JT

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had a typing class in 1956, basic junior year. My marks were marginal.

I never typed much till I got into internet stuff, and my proficiency increased.

If you can shoot a shotgun at moving targets with success, youcan type. Get a tutor program, probably will be free stuff online.

HM

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Damn, Halfmile, that is about the same time I took my typing, but I graduated in 56. I think we took our typing my freshman year though.
    Like you, since I've been on the Internet, I am much faster now than I was in high school.

When I started on the Internet, I bought one of those split keyboards from Microsoft. My kids tried to talk me out of it, but they actually are so much easier for me, and I know that is part if not most of the reason for being able to type faster.

I get on a regular board, and my hands are to close together and it seems like a much smaller board.

Pat, I remember the old Underwood well. They did get one new electric typewriter in, but I didn't like it, because......lol........the keys were to easy to push........lol........and if you didn't watch out, you had a whole bunch of mistakes in a flash.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

MIA,
    I have likewise been using Dragon Speaking software from the time it first came out, at least 10 years ago. I must be up to version #9 or more by now. It works great for a long writing project, but is a waste of time for threads like this.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Get yor soelf a "Mavis Beacon "instructional video and put in about a half hour a day."

MIA,

Maybe you should up that to an hour?

14. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

It is great to see all the "old-timers" who learned this typing skill. Oh, to Pat Ireland...it is painful feeling the age creeping up on you all the time, but I think it is comical to see the young kids with their noses buried in their cell phones frantically "text messaging". I don't think I would want to be young these days...68 years is young enough. Best Regards, Ed

15. nipper

nipper TS Member

the more you type the better you "should" get

bill

16. scott k

scott k TS Member

the more you type, the more mistakes you make.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat Ireland,

I store my slide rules and typewriters separately. I don't trust them together anymore. :)

I can't type and the voice recognition software won't recognize me. I guess I'm out of luck?

18. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Made my living maintaining IBM electric typrwriters from 1965 to 1975. Still type with 2 fingers :)

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I remember sruggling during college to complete typed papers. Even went so far as to pay to have some of it done which was very extreme desperation because that meant no beer money for awhile. Thank goodness for the word processors today! Don't worry about the mistakes, just go back and fix them after you get the thoughts written down. And yes I did take a couple of typing classes but 30 years later I'm still not that skilled on the key board ... my hand writing is even worse.

20. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I took typing so I could set next to Margaret Surber, she was hot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.