1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Not just trapshooting - seeing a decline

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I’ve been reading the threads about the decline of trapshooting. I don’t know what the answer is, but it’s not just trapshooting that is in decline.

Bowling - there are fewer than half the number of bowling alleys now as compared to the mid 1960s. The places were jammed with league players, it was hard to find an alley that had “open bowling”. A lof the alleys were open 24 hrs a day.

Softball - back in the late 80s and early 90s here in Indiana , there weren’t enough softball fields to accommodate all the players/teams. Most cities had waiting lists of people wanting to play. Today they tell me they have a 1/3 to 1/4 of the teams they had 20 years ago.

Social organizations. Years ago almost everybody belonged to an organization of some kind: Kiwanis, Lions, Jaycees, Owls, Moose Club, conservation club, etal In most cases all of those organizations have seen membership decline. The local Moose Club shut it’s doors recently. Can’t even get people to show up and drink beer.

Trapshooting isn’t the only thing in decline. Why the decline? Maybe the new generations just aren’t as social as the previous?? No need to leave the house when you have 100 tv channels, internet, face book?????? Or maybe if you do leave the house you can’t find anybody outside anyway? I remember when I was a kid each street had it’s own baseball team. Each house had 2, 3,4 or more kids. Plenty of people to hang out with and do things. Now? I just don’t see that many kids around. Their siblings have either been birth controlled or aborted, same for the house next door too.

Or could it be the schools/societies disdain toward competition now days? Nobody wants to go head to head?????

Who knows?

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I agree in many ways. We used to play ball on the street and now nobody plays outside. The expendable dollars have moved around. Look at the country clubs. Many are closing/consolidating/selling. We have one in Cleveland that was around since the early 1900 and they just closed and sold the property. More people are traveling and with a shortage of dollars that spend it in different ways. Many of the young people spend money foolishly. No savings for a rainy day and lavish the kids with "stuff". Many of use saved for the day and that way the older generation has the expendable dollars but now we're getting up in age and thinking about where to spend it. Also jobs are scarce and many are not working. Hope things change. Motordoc

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Things ebb and flow- soccer has increased since the 60s and so has golf and many other things. Trapshooting has declined while sporting clays has gone up. Things change and change is normal.

4. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Simple: There are many single parent households and the traditional family with a present mother and father is quickly becoming extinct. Traditional fathers are a dying breed.

Adult male mentoring is diminishing....video games are expanding.....we are losing the boys.....girls, in general are doing MUCH better....

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community" by Robert D. Putnam

"Drawing on vast new data that reveal Americans’ changing behavior, Putnam shows how we have become increasingly disconnected from one another and how social structures—whether they be PTA, church, or political parties—have disintegrated. Until the publication of this groundbreaking work, no one had so deftly diagnosed the harm that these broken bonds have wreaked on our physical and civic health, nor had anyone exalted their fundamental power in creating a society that is happy, healthy, and safe."

See also- http://thistumbleweedlife.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/traditional-club-memberships-in-steady-decline-including-the-club-called-church/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110820135307.htm

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I hate the decline of drive-in movie theaters! Had great fun there as a teenager.

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Good points about the precipitous decline of the two parent family.

8. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I grew up playing at the park every day after school. Soccer, football, softball, basketball you name it. Rode bikes every where. This was in the early 70's in Dallas.

Today, no kids playing in the park or out riding bikes. This is sad....but as a parent I'm following what everyone seems to be doing. Getting them into organized sports and after school activities where there are adults coaching and teaching and protecting our kids (except for some that are sex offenders a la Sandusky ect.) with a couple of parents there to watch and listen.

Our urban society as many ills. Me and the wifey are very involved in all aspects of our kids lives. Too many terrible things out there that can hurt them. Not on my watch!

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

What's to say............. Pardon me while I go random.

It takes the coarseness of a man and the smoothness of a woman to create a fully texured human being. Single parents who are mainly women don't have the ability to fulfil what a male figure provides to a boy or young man and besides, many of them are worn out at days end having been thrust into the job market while still maintaining a household. Because of these circumstances parents and even two parent hoseholds as well foolishly let electronic devices become the baby sitter/entertainment effectively keeping kids indoors and away from interacting with others.

The biggest misgiving is texting is communication, its not, its just another form of video gaming made up abbreviations and acronyms., it's a tag your it game that has no social value moving people futher away from true communication and interaction. Watch anyone who's texting, they can barely read what's been sent before they make a response, my move!.... The whole social media thing is a platform that's fast disconecting one another from each other, what happened to converstaion???

All us old guy's are seeing a whole society that we grew up in pushed out and into our memories, the world's not changing, it's changed. Sure, there plenty of kids still outdoors running and playing and just as many indoors eating crap and stuck on the keyboard.

Surfer

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

How many trapshooters would have been caught dead on a keyboard in 1972?

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

1972! I was sitting behind a keyboard of a manual Underwood typewriter. (Thought I found heaven when I first used an IBM electric. WOW) I put out an "underground" newspaper in high school. Well 2 editions - the first and last. Got tired of reading the crap in the school paper, or I could of had another reason. I lost $25 betting on the school football team. A classmate gave me 50 points and our team, we lost 62 to 0 to a hick backwater school. I thought someone should point out the ineptness of the head coach. LOL

1972, remember - Nixon now more than ever?

Even with hindsight, I still gotta say he was better choice than McGovern.

1972 was the year the gooks/radicals took over the Democrat party.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Yeh, but was he a better choice than Wallace?

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I see some of those factors. I automatically remove my childhood from the picture because it was pretty messed up. In the 60's most of my neighbors were blue collar factory workers. They worked 40 hours and maybe a little overtime, they had a clean but rather plain house with a TV that worked most of the time. They drove a 3 or 4 year old chevy or Ford that they would usually keep for about a year after they paid off the loan. The mothers stayed at home or worked part time. And the family had time for activities, even if they were simple and cheap like picnics and church softball. Very few families have those priviledges these days. Time and finances are just not there. And marriages are not surviving the strain either.

These days, if anyone is lucky enough to have a job, the company demands 48-56 hours minimum. Even after being away from the family all week, the tax burden eats up all the buying power so the Mrs works full time. There is no money left for vacations, shotshells, league dues, etc. The Eagles club, Lions club, softball leagues, tap clubs etc. just do not have enough people. This is just another cost we seldom talk about.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Buzzy, Probably not! Gotta remember this was the 72 Wallace, the wheelchair verison, the more senstive/caring. LOL

I guess Nixon gave us Watergate (where nobody died) unlike "Fast and Furious", but I digress. Watergate gave us Jimmy Carter which lead to Reagan. Reagan put us back on course which pushed Bush 41 into office, but things started to go downhead on inagural day 01/20/89 when Bush made that "kinder and gentler country" comment. Just what we needed more mussy, touchy feely crap. Not!

Now I'm depressed again, time to go have another drink.

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

We are on a path designed by Obama's henchmen. If he wins again the economy will go off in a direction few believe today. Inflation will destroy the dollar - something most voters don't understand.

The hucksters selling gold will be thought to have been clairvoyant.

16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

We are on a path designed by Obama's henchmen. If he wins again the economy will go off in a direction few believe today. Inflation will destroy the dollar - something most voters don't understand.

The hucksters selling gold will be thought to have been clairvoyant.

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Go see 2016 Obama's America, its a must! The Guy is not an Amrican in thought or values and has no idea what it is to be an American.

Obama wants to bring America to its knees overloading us in debt killing big businesses who are the leading employers of Americans. Obama's on track to wipe out the upper and middle class. He is not a friend of unions as many believe, long term he will squeeze them to reach his goal of crippling America business and industry taking away our power leaving us broken and poor. Obama lies saying anything to reach his goal, if you think not, you're living in LaLa Land. Look at Russia under Communist rule but without power and you're looking at the new America..................

Surfer

18. darr

darr Well-Known Member

The one thing that bowling,softball,trapshooting,tennis and golf have in common is competition.Todays schools are anti competition.I meet people all the time that won't shoot trap because they are afraid they might not do well.And that is just practice.There is no way in hell they would ever shoot in a competition.Back in the day competing was all I ever thought about.Now kids don't care about it.People are so insecure nowadays the thought of looking bad just scares the s--- out of them.The 1 day out 20 that I shoot good keeps me coming back for the next 20 days.Nowadays if people can't be good at something in an hour they don't want to put in the work.It is the video game mentallity.I no there are other factors but competition is definately in decline.

Darr

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have to agree with Darr. We are seeing the emasculation of America. There are other factors but Americans across the board no longer have the fire. As a culture we no longer strive for greatness, and risk is a no-no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.