1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Impressed with Downrange Wads/ UPDATED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I bought a case of the Downrange wads because of the reviews I saw here.

I am NOT impressed! I was loading them in 1x fired AA hulls on a Mec 9000G and everytime the shot charge was thrown, it was a different height in the hull.

I have no idea why and it was the same weight each time.

When I loaded with a TGT 12 wad, the shells came out looking like a new shell and the shot column was the same height in the hull.

Oscar

2. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

How much wad pressure were you using?

3. double k

double k Member

Oscar same problem for me.The wads were 3 different lengths out of 1 bag so no more for me.

4. 3357

3357 Member

I have been very happy with Claybuster wads, they have been very consistant and I have not experienced the plastic "build-up" I have read about on this forum.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Sometimes unforeseen problems cause people to have different experiences and form conflicting opinions. Personally, I would suspect the AA hulls which (and do NOT be offended) I do NOT care for at all since they changed the hull design some years ago. I used to load AAs exclusively in 12, 20, 28, and .410 for skeet - wouldn't use anything else. When Winchester went to the new 2 piece design and problems started - including the change in wads - I went to Remington STS and Nitros. For what it is worth, I have excellent reloading experiences with Downrange wads and Remington hulls. How do they say "YMMV?" Your mileage may vary... Best Regards, Ed

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Oscar, many of DRMs wad designs do not take well to crushing while seating. The Hawk (XXL)type and the Win type come to mind. Once you compress them, they don't spring back to their original shape. Sometime, not at all and sometimes part-way. I do not have that problem with their TGT-12 and Fig-8 clones. They work just as well as the Remington originals.

7. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I think that if you experiment a bit you will find that the problem is with your hulls, not the wads. Some types of wads will "hang up" on the little rim at the bottom of the hull & not allow the wad to seat properly........check with Kevin at Downrange for recommendation of a wad for the new AA hull.

8. A201

A201 TS Member

Some folks loading the AA hull have no clue what is wrong with their loads. Would some one please enlighten them about the base wad.

9. 3357

3357 Member

Claybuster bevels/tapers the base of thier wads to allow passage by the base wad in the new AA (hs) hulls.

10. ismah

ismah Member

I've been loading them in my STS and Nitros and they're perfect.

11. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I have no idea what your personal difficulty may be, but I do know that the newer two piece AA hulls have different height bases in them. I've found several different base heights in different lots and especially when the original loads was different.

I gave up on Downrange when I started loading 7/8 oz. My MEC doesn't like either of their lite load wads.

IME,
    Kip

12. TomB

TomB Member

I tried loading the TGT12 in once fired gray AA's on an old Bair 600 press which loads perfect shells with orange Western wads , but the DR wads caved in and left a hole in the middle. Shot would have spilled out but I melted candle wax on them just to get rid of them. I compared them with the orange Western wads and Win AA and they are shorter. I emailed Kevin but never got a response. Some crap !! Tom B

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Your problem is the base of the wad is hanging up on the AA base cup lip, back off on your sizing collet and the problem is solved. Run a sharp pencil down the inside wall of a newer style AA hull and you will understand whats happening.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

It's not the DR wad. I consider myself an AA reloading expert. I've reloaded every single type of Winchester Hull and only Winchester for 20 years. I've reloaded them experimenting with 7 different wad brands and their types and patterened them all. Here's what happens with the DR wads. I reload the DR 1 1/8 wad, indago blue. The Shiny AA's in Gray and Red, also with the "boxed" AA will not work. A201 said it. These DR wads get hung-up on the interior lip of the base cup. Get a flash light and look down in, you'll see it. That's the culprit. I call them two piece hulls and they sometimes seperate upon firing. Only the older single piece dull red AA's and the older light silver Handicap AA hulls will work.
    But don't be mistaken: This DR wads are hard hitting. Tight patterns. I've alternated these wads in a box. 12 DR wad loads and 13 Claybuster wad loads. Marked difference in they those two hit. DR, soot balls everytime. Dave T.

15. chipking

chipking TS Member

Which ones did you get and where are you located. If it is the DRRT12 and you are close to Virginia I would be willing to take them off your hands.

--- Chip King ---

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Tried DR xl or xxl don't remember which wads 1 time in STS bad news, mostly just off-sounding but some very soft loads with no recoil, called & was told if I didn't like them use a different brand, gave them to a friend to try in his AAs (he knew of my problem) he wound up throwing them away. Went back to C.B.s or OEMs no problems since. Only thing changed was the wad in both hulls. Ross Puls

EDIT They were red colored with sort of a stacked double x cushioning section.

17. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Oscar,
    What DR wad did you buy ? From my experience, not all the DR wads work in the AA. Specifically, the DR-XL1 (neon green) and XL1 Jammer (purple) dont work well because there is no "pressure-relief" cut in the base section of the wad. Air gets trapped behind the wad during insertion ... and causes the wad to pop back up in the hull. When this happens, just take your finger and slowly, gently push down on top of the shot ... and you will feel the wad sink back down as the trapped air escapes. The DRA style DR wads work fine in the AA hull (notice the small pressure relief slots in the base flange of the wad). However, I prefer the Green Duster wads best for 1 oz loads in AA hulls. Just no hassles at all with the Dusters.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

OPERATOR ERROR - PERIOD

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have loaded 1,000's of once fired AA's with the XL 1 wad and never had any problems.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I had issues with the DRRF8 wad (replacement for Figure 8)in the new Winchester hull. Had a hole in the final crimp, and sometimes shot would roll out the top on the pre-crimp. It appeared there was not enough room in the hall for my load. Emailed Kevin at Downrange, and he sent me an email with his cell number Friday.

Kevin said the DRRF8 seals too tight and air gets trapped under the wad. He told me to use zero wad pressure and let the precrimp and crimp stations push the wad down. I just played with it tonight and he was right, but I still have a small hole in the crimp, which I should be able to adjust and eliminate.

Winchester screwed up with their hulls. The new HSAA hulls aren't worth messing with. I have a couple thousand and I'll probably sell them. STS hulls load great in all 3 of my loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
blue down range wads in a sts haul problem

downrange wads reviews

downrange wads too loose
what is a downrange wad