Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Fair !!!

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Pat Ireland 
#1 ·
It is not uncommon at some shoots to hear an announcement over the PA system for a shooter to report to his bank. This practice will frequently cause other shooters, who got to their post on time, to miss a target. I believe this is a situation that penalizes shooters who showed up on time and gives an advantage to a shooter who is late.

Pat Ireland

#2 ·
Pat I agree. Other sports deal with this much better then we see at trap shoots. In tennis at USTA you're defaulted if you're not on time. In motocross if you're not in the gate when it drops T.S. If you get to the gate and discover a problem you're given two minuets to fix it then the gate drops without you. In golf if you miss your start time again DQ. One of the guys in my office was leading the Western Armature going into the second day (with a 68, most of us can only dream about these scores) and was given the wrong time by a tournament official before leaving after day one. Based on what he was told he anticipated being in the final pairing with a start around 11am. At 8am he got a call from the tournament office telling him that he had 5min to tee off. He was disqualified even though he was given erroneous information the day before by an official. They said no matter what he was told it was his responsibility to check the schedule for his starting time and show up. The bad thing was the information came from a friend of his. Maybe shoots would run better if shooters were DQd with a 5 min grace.

#4 ·
I agree there should be no such announcements, or any for that matter, once the Event has begun. I also think shoot management should stop the practice of moving squads up in the rotation because earlier squads were not filled. Geez managers, talk about nerve wracking and disconcerting. How do you think a shooter who expects to come to the line two hours after the Event begins finds out his squad is due on the line NOW, an hour earlier than expected, because you changed the expected rotation? Do you think that contributes to equanimity? Is that fair to that shooter?

#8 ·
I am a real prick about starting the squad. Shoots post the squads currently shooting and those on the line. Now if this does not give you a clue that you need to get ready - to heck with you. I will start the squad. I will not allow more than a minute to go by with an empty trapfield. Maybe you will luck out and the kid will be reloading so my minute is meaningless - but maybe you will not be that lucky. If you cannot figure out when or where you are supposed to shoot, perhaps you should not have a gun.

#10 ·
I agree Pat...Every single club I have been to makes announcements, especially during shoot-offs. State shoots, Middletown, Ohio, Ky... I don't care who it is or what they are shooting off. I think this should be stopped. I don't get to shoot off for anything very often but.... I can't shoot my best and at the same time, pay attention to someone on a loud speaker talking to me. Later, wb JP

#11 ·
At the WV State shoot several weekends ago, we were on the third position of the 2nd trap. As I brought the gun up, a target went out. Thinking another shooter from an adjoining trap set it off, I just started my routine again. Once again, as I brought the gun up, another target flies. Again a 3rd time it does it & I turn & look at the score keeper & she motions toward the overhead speakers. I pull out my earplugs & then I hear the loudspeaker making an annoucement about the doubles shoot off later that day. The speaker was setting off the targets. I wait about 30-45 seconds for the annoucement to end & I go on. One of my squad mates get pretty cranky because I didn't shoot during the annoucement. Something about delaying the squad. He didn't want to hear about the loudspeaker, just why did I stop. I could put up with the annoucements, but the horses@ss with the attitude really got to me. I little more attitude from him & I might have been guilty of disrupting the harmony of the shoot! Still had a fun time @ Brooke. I even got to tease Chuckie about the powder blue shirts they had. Last time I saw something that big in pastel blue, was in the Macy's Xmas parade!

#15 ·
And Jim, your method is widely used, efficient and courteous. At Thurmont, you did not have to wait for me to show up. I always shot with Swanson Branscomb and Ray Hughes at that club. They would never let me be late. Thurmont was the only club that I was able to win a doubles shoot off with my single barrel.

Pat Ireland

#14 ·
And Jim, your method is widely used, efficient and courteous. At Thurmont, you did not have to wait for me to show up. I always shot with Swanson Branscomb and Ray Hughes at that club. They would never let me be late. Thurmont was the only club that I was able to win a doubles shoot off with my single barrel.

Pat Ireland

#16 ·
"In motocross if you're not in the gate when it drops T.S."

I didn't know there were trapshooters in motocross! And I played golf and I never got to go to the dairy queen because of tardiness. That would just ENCOURAGE me to be late.

What about the guy who drives up the line on his big-a$$ motorcycle during shoots and revs the handle a few times for effect? Or the guy in the big rig (why do they NEED that to pull a trailer anyway?) who honks his horn to say goodbye to his friends when he's pulling out on Sunday (during the Handicap Championship). Guess it's an If-I-shot-poorly-enough-not-to-have-to stay, then-to-hell-with-those-that-still-have-a-chance type of attitude.

I'm learning to tune out all kinds of stuff...car alarms, cell phones, constant throat clearing...I'm sure that is just the beginning.

#17 ·
"In motocross if you're not in the gate when it drops T.S."

I didn't know there were trapshooters in motocross! And I played golf and I never got to go to the dairy queen because of tardiness. That would just ENCOURAGE me to be late.

What about the guy who drives up the line on his big-a$$ motorcycle during shoots and revs the handle a few times for effect? Or the guy in the big rig (why do they NEED that to pull a trailer anyway?) who honks his horn to say goodbye to his friends when he's pulling out on Sunday (during the Handicap Championship). Guess it's an If-I-shot-poorly-enough-not-to-have-to stay, then-to-hell-with-those-that-still-have-a-chance type of attitude.

I'm learning to tune out all kinds of stuff...car alarms, cell phones, constant throat clearing...I'm sure that is just the beginning.

#18 ·
While on the subject of the loud speaker system I would like to see all clubs that use it install enough speakers so the whole trap line can hear the annoucements. Some clubs have one or two speakers and many traps. While wearing ear plugs I personally have a hard time hearing what comes out of a speaker 5 or 6 trap fields away. Dan

#19 ·
While on the subject of the loud speaker system I would like to see all clubs that use it install enough speakers so the whole trap line can hear the annoucements. Some clubs have one or two speakers and many traps. While wearing ear plugs I personally have a hard time hearing what comes out of a speaker 5 or 6 trap fields away. Dan

#20 ·
I know that a shooter at the South Dakota State shoot last week who missed his squad twice in the same event. They just went on without him, he took it well and learned from the experience. He is one of those old shooters that age is becoming a factor in his ability to function in a normal society.

#21 ·
I know that a shooter at the South Dakota State shoot last week who missed his squad twice in the same event. They just went on without him, he took it well and learned from the experience. He is one of those old shooters that age is becoming a factor in his ability to function in a normal society.

#23 ·
Pat: The dilema is at large shoots squads are jumped in order. E.g. at the CA. State Shoot this year several of the starting squads in order of 1,2,3,4, etc. were skipped over as they did not have shooters, an announcment was made to this effect at the start of the shoot, BUT it was 1. difficult to hear over a marginal speaker system; 2. was squad #32 moved up one or two spots due to cancelled previous squads? 3. at some shoots there are no beginning squads - the shoots start with squad #3. The squading situation needs to be drastically improved before penalizing the shooters. Fred

#25 ·
If the rest of the squad can be there on time and you are not there you have a problem because I say shoot ... Its ignorant and inconsiderate of the people who are always late and feel the rest of the world should just wait for them ... I have a very low tolerance for these kind of people and they will know it before the day is over ... I consider myself to be late if I get there right on time, but thats just me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.