1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Not a bad days pay.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mixer, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison shot the only 100 straight in event 11 at the Grand yesterday. According to the payout sheets he picked up $5500 for his efforts. Not too shabby at all. Can the 100k be far behind?

Eric

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Not bad for an amateur shooter? Just kidding Karla. CED

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Amateur + 1099 form = professional. HMB

4. Lyle

Lyle Member

Bigger than any of my paydays but a crying shame that it isn't closer to 30K like it used to be.

Lyle

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It would be better if he didn't have to pay taxes on it.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Like Lyle said in the not too distant past it would have been a lot more.

Leo has probably been 1099' more than any trapshooter in history, and has had to file tax returns on trap for over 20 years plus.

A self employed trapshooter. 15.4% self employment tax, I'm sure IL is going to want state income tax, maybe even county or city tax. Add that all together and that will be over 20% right off the top. Then we come to Federal income tax. Who knows what bracket. After taxes he might have 3k left, still not bad, but not like it used to be.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to pay state income tax if you're not a resident of the state.

Eric

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Eric, I know they (some states) went after pro baseball and basketball players a few years ago. CA for examply was saying since 10% of baseball games were played in CA players from Chicago, NY, Boston, etal...should pay 10% or their income in tax to CA.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are plenty of write offs available. HMB

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Leo's not shooting every event this year. Seems it warmed up a little out there? Clyde Doll

11. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Most wives have expensive tastes, why would Leo's be any different.

All the Best.

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

jerry if i remember correctly,an aaproximate estimate i came up with in 09 that was for everthing you might spend for the entire shoot was approximately 7 grand.that is gas shells food all entry fees & options motels. dwain

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

He earns it,

Good for Leo. Hope he holds it together for the $100k.

Don Verna

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Leo and other hotdogs are only shooting the events that have a decent payoff.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Good analysis, Barry (I think).

I'm sure the economy and personal circumstances has an effect in keeping options playing down, also.

Looking at the payouts, so far, there is nothing to be made in singles, and - unless it is a nasty-windy day - not much to make in doubles.

A & B shooters who have a good day, OTOH, can do well & better than the beeg boys.

Maybe the 'hot dogs' are getting smarter, too, huh?

Bob

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

If you are self employed then there are many write off's you can do ok this has been a few years back but I paid a whole lot less taxes back in the late 1980's and late 1990's than I do know ok back in the 90's I had mileage and a lot more write offs ok with me I would choose the mileage I put on while working and it was good enough for me but if you wanted to go to the trouble then you can add a lot more if you done the itemized route.

I agree that with a lone 100 it should had paid at least 10 grand but I think now days are different from the past because no one plays the money anymore unless they are real lucky at Poker or anything else.

Im sure the big gun's are not making as much as in the past.

Ok all I know in the past I played it all just in case if I got lucky but back then even if you broke a 50 on the handicap's then you got your entry fee and option money almost back.

17. brad99g

brad99g Member

If I have looked at the scores and payouts correctly, Leo has won roughly 9500 give or take a few hundred on the events he has shot. Of course thats if he has played all the options.

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Lyle, wait until next year. I heard that there is a proposal on the table to increase payouts for events at next year's Grand. If that happens, I would bet a dime to a dollar that the complainers in Ohio and PA will STILL find some reason not to come here.

19. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

recurvyarcher

Unless the payouts are planned to be different than they are now, nothing will change except more money for the pros.

Mark Rounds

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The dollar amount of purse and option entry money is the same as many years ago. A dollar then and now are very different. If you could still wager a day's wages to win a big payoff, more people would do it and more shooters would be attracted to trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beeg shtr