1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Northwest Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shootsome, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

Anyone know anything about the quality of Northwest shot? Is it any good?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It is soft shot but I know plenty of guys who think it is ok. It's cheaper then the hard stuff from Westcost shot. How hard does shot need to be to shoot god patterns at 32 yards? I shot it for Starlings in #9's and I would shot it for singles and doubles but for handicap I require the best and for that I would shot Westcoast. I shot mostly new shells anyway for trap. Jeff

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The business, in S. Oregon off I-5, essentially relies on mining shot from clubs and going through the process of re-dropping it. I've been in the company facility which seems reasonable and working well with custom equipment. I've used their shot for the majority of my some 35 years in these games and have no issue with it's quality.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Exactly as BDodd says. I spoke to the Northwest people and what ever is mined is what the melt down and re-drop. Most shot these days is the 4 to 5 hardness so their quality of shot is between that. I happen to like it. In most cases it is better shot than the factory promotional shells -- it is round and to size. For major events shoot top quality factory shells and have the primers fail [oops AA]. Fred

5. KK

KK TS Member

I agree with Bob and I too have used a lot of Northwest shot. I am very pleased with the way it shoots for all events, handicap, doubles, or singles, although I have to admit I haven't used any of it for dusting Starlings. The man that owns the company, Larry Stockman, has always been friendly and more than willing to accomodate my shot needs. I have been in the plant numerous times and spent time talking with Larry about his operation and shooting in general. I found that he is 100% loyal to customers that rely on him for their shot needs. He knows and respects his steady customers and will bend over backward to fill their needs. In my opinion Northwest Shot is as good as any shot on the market and has always worked very well for me when I manage to do my part. Hope this helps answer your question. Kirby Kelley

6. shootsome

shootsome Member

Sounds like good shot. Think I'll buy some.

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

How much is Northwest shot in comparison of Eagle?

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Check Connies for a price; they deal with it quite regularly. Their web page is above. Understand they are shooting people and don't always sit at the desk awaiting calls so be patient...Bob Dodd

9. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

We have used Northwest for several years. Sold tons of the product, without any complaints. As posted above Larry is always accomodating.

We currently have several hundred bags of Northwest Shot. Will be available first come first serve in Northern CA. I will be at Coon Creek Sunday 5/4. If you are interest either email me or stop by Coon Creek. You might want to
    shoot a little. It is a ATA registerred event 100 singles, 100 handicap and 50 pairs of doubles. CGSTA winter chain buckle for winner of handicap. - Jim

10. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I use and love the stuff, with a standard shot bushing, it loads heavy, which tells me that it is smaller than listed. So, 7 1/2 is like 73/4 in size. Others may say its because it's softer, but I think its just a little smaller than listed. Bruce

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It's because it is softer. All anybody needs to do is Mic the shot, weigh a charge and then count the pellets. It's not rocket science. The shot is softer then Westcoast and it doesn't put as many pellets in the same circle as Westcoast does. For several reasons. Number one the Westcoast load has more pellets in the load because it is harder( Doesn't weigh as much) it also deforms less shot because it is harder. Larry Stockman is a great guy but lets not confuse facts with emotions. There is a reason it is 15 dollars a sack cheaper then Westcoast. Jeff

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Keep this in mind as well guys. I too have shot quite literally tons of Northwest shot but I am in no way deluded into thiking it is as good as Westcoast. The real question here is weather or not you think it will make a diffrence. Shoot patterns with 7 1/2's at 42 yards with both Westcoast and Northwest and then come on here and tell people it is just as good. The pattern board does not lie. 16 yard targets with 1 ounce of Northwest 8 1/2's or 9's will inkball targets but then again so will just about any load that comes out the end of a shotgun barrel... If you do your part. Antimony is very, very expensive and the less you use the cheaper you can sell shot for. You will have to forgive me but I don't let a little thing like facts get in the way of my opinion.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.