1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Northwest Oh Calcutta will penalize you if you win

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by nitro 100, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Williams county gun club has 3 calcuttas a year. They set the rules and are great unless you are a short yardage shooter and win. They advertise 2 yards off of your ATA and if you win the shoot you get 2 yards. My buddies and i went up and got lucky. 2 of us tied with a high score and the third buddie got a half of a yard because of being third. The friday after the shoot we got a letter thanking us for coming up and shooting. Congratulations on your winning score. You earned 2 yards for winning and the handicap commitee gives you 3 addittional yards because of known ability. This gives us 5 yards if we go back. My third place buddy got 1/;2 yard for third and was given 3 1/2 yards for third place. Look at my avg in the ATA web site. I broke a 99 and won the fall festival,. Other than that I am always out of the money at the big shoots even though I play all of the money. The bottom line is do not go to Wiliams county and beat them. They will change their rules. They want you to come and shoot. Put money in the shoot but uness you are a long yardage shooter, you will be penalized. Thanks for looking at my frustration.

Jerry Nickell

2. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Would you go back if they changed the rules on you? They give you 3 yards more than their rules. Would you go back?

Jerry

3. P.D.K.

P.D.K. TS Member

If it was me I would have took their money and laughed as long as I played by their rules.

4. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

I did play by their rules.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you go back and don't finish in the money next time, do they take away a yard?

-Gary

6. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

No. The rules say you shoot your yardage for 3 shoots. They dont abide by their rules.

Jerry

7. The Trapshooters

The Trapshooters TS Member

I really don't have a dog in this fight but have over a decade worth's experience running a gun club. If you want to have a long term successful shoot you must make the rules and stick to them. Changing rules in the middle of the stream is childish behavior that negatively reflects on the club management. Yes, you might appease some of the long yardage shooters in the short term, but in the long run the club will suffer. Most of the short yardage shooters will take pause when they found out 3 yards known ability was given. Period.

Phillip Nickell
    formerly, Rowan County Sportsman's Club
    Morehead, KY

8. rsikole

rsikole Member

I am sure Williams County would like to have as many shooters as possible attend their calcuttas. However, if some choose not to return I am sure there will be other shooters who will show up in their place. Apparently these three just happened to be lucky on the same day. That helps explain my streak of back luck too......these 3 apparently got all the good luck lately.

Rob

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gosh could the 3 be known baggers and got caught. You did it to them once and they said no more. The known ability rule kicked in. Lets see if you can put your big boy pants on and come and shoot from where you ought to.

If you got a reduction from the ATA I think you should re-read the rules. You were not elgilble if you got yardage after 9/1/2012 and you shot your 99 on 9/30. Also if you got 1 1/2 yds for the 99 that stays for at least 1 year and no reduction.

So maybe there is more to the story. By the way short yardage shooters have won in the past and have come back. Matter of fact one short yardage shooter has won it twice.

Mr. Philip Nickell you say you don't have a dog in this fight. Does it just happen that your last name is the same as the complainers. I think you should check the rules before complaining and giving advice. Being from Kentucky dosen't enter into this does it??

This shoot will do very well with out the Nickell family in attendance. Enjoy your winning and yes I contributed to it.

Don

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jerry:

As I've posted many times in the past, some clubs are infected with a cancer I call "Club Geezers." These are a particularly nasty but sometimes influencial minority of old men who haven't gotten laid since Carter was President and they absolutely despise strangers - especially anyone under 50 who outshoots them. The growth of Sporting Clays was greatly due to trap clubs failing to control these angry jerks, and perhaps CG's were a factor in your situation.

In any case, if there's nothing else to the story, it sounds like Williams County might be a poorly run club - the kind I'd stop patronizing. "Vote with your feet," as they say.

-Gary

11. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Big Don,
    I earned a yard and a half on 9-30. If I was a sandbagger as you said in another thread. I would have not broke a score on 9/30 and would have waited to get 2 yards off. That is a 3 1/2 yard difference. Williams county puts out rules and does not want to live with them.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gary actually Willims county is a very well run club and very successful. It is also run by some fine "Young Men". It also has one of the best youth programs in state of Ohio.

Therefore take your "old geezer" comment and insert it.

Don

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's "Club Geezer," Don. Please get it right, because it's a very specific term.

And please don't be offended - you can be an old man and not be a CG. On the other hand, if you absolutely hate strangers and new shooters and your weiner hasn't worked in a couple decades, then you might be a CG.

-Gary

14. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Williams County is one of, if not the best, run small clubs in the tri-state area. It is very successful. They have very high attendance at all of their shoots even though they are some of the toughest targets you will shoot anywhere. The youth program is outstanding. The people in charge are not "old" by any stretch of the immagination.

As Big Don so aptly put it....take your "old geezer" comment and insert it !!

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hey, maybe it's a GREAT club. I haven't shot there so I don't know. I'm simply saying that the retribution and apparent "variable rules" Jerry describes are well known symptoms of the CG phenomenon and of poorly run clubs in general.

-Gary

16. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

so what yardage are they going to make you shoot from,if you go back, seems like a mistake,not to many complaints come out of that club.

17. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I always say if you wanna stick it to the man, go bck and beat their A$$ with the rules they put on ya!!!! That will really get their goat!!!! I find this CG thing at a couple of clubs i have visited. I am 31 years old sometimes feel like the whole place goes quiet when I walk up to the table to squad. I walked up to a picnic table full of shooters this summer they were all laughing and having a fun conversation. As soon as I walked up to the table it went silent, i said "Hi, hows it going?" As I looked around there wasnt a man sitting there that was under 70 years old. I got complete silence, none of the guys said a word. Shortly after that i went back and sat on my tailgate. The CG is an ugly thing but it most certainly is a true statement. The fact that they didnt talk to me gave me that much more drive to win that day. I shot a 95 in handicap that day winning the yardage class, which many of them were in. I then went back and did the same thing the very next weekend. I hear alot of guys say, the sport needs more young shooters, and it does, but why dont you try to welcome them instead of shunning them for being young!!! Good luck at that calcutta, go whip their butts!!!!

18. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Williams county gun club has 3 calcuttas a year. They set the rules and are great unless you are a short yardage shooter and win. They advertise 2 yards off of your ATA and if you win the shoot you get 2 yards. My buddies and i went up and got lucky. 2 of us tied with a high score and the third buddie got a half of a yard because of being third. The friday after the shoot we got a letter thanking us for coming up and shooting. Congratulations on your winning score. You earned 2 yards for winning and the handicap commitee gives you 3 addittional yards because of known ability. This gives us 5 yards if we go back. My third place buddy got 1/;2 yard for third and was given 3 1/2 yards for third place. Look at my avg in the ATA web site. I broke a 99 and won the fall festival,. Other than that I am always out of the money at the big shoots even though I play all of the money. The bottom line is do not go to Wiliams county and beat them. They will change their rules. They want you to come and shoot. Put money in the shoot but uness you are a long yardage shooter, you will be penalized. Thanks for looking at my frustration.

Jerry Nickell

19. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Would you go back if they changed the rules on you? They give you 3 yards more than their rules. Would you go back?

Jerry

20. P.D.K.

P.D.K. TS Member

If it was me I would have took their money and laughed as long as I played by their rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.