1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Northwest Magnum shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Any reviews on this shot? Not too much info out there about it.

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Northwest comes down into California and mines our ranges and takes it back to Oregon and redrops it.It shoots just fine for me.

3. concrete

concrete TS Member

Larry Stockman is the owner and a good freind of mine. We have been shooting his shot here in the northwest for many years, seems to work good for all of us. He is a shooter and cares about trap shooting. Give it a try.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Is it as good as Lawerence Brand Mag. Shot??? Break-em all. Jeff

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been a user since the mid-70s - almost exclusively......Bob Dodd

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jeff, It's not virgin lead - mostly mined and re-dropped. Looks as good as any; maybe a little loose on size but I can sure tell 9s from 8s in my loader bottles. My experience is if I point at the rocks, they break.....Bob Dodd

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Not as hard as lawrence magnum but not as expensive either. It'a made out of whatever shot he mines. so it is a mixture of Federal cheapies, gunclubs, and all the premium loads as well as handloads of all type of shot. Quality has been somewhat variable over the years but seems to have leveled out to be a decent product. If trapshooting I don't think it makes any diffrence at 16 yards what brand of shot you shoot. Nor for the first shot in doybles. Skeet and short range sporting I am sure it is just fine. I will use it for these things if I get it cheap enough. For handicap, shooting long range games, and for any shot size number 6 or bigger my patterns with Westcoast magnum put more holes in the paper then with Northwest shot. I suspect up close it is true as well but it just doesn't matter up close. When I shoot starlings with my 28ga I use Westcost over Northwest as I only use 3/4 of an oz of shot and shoot past 50 yards pretty regular. The Northwest kill percentages have been lower for the most part and teh pattern board shows it at 50 yards. Jeff

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Its just fine....

Don't laugh. I ordered over 10 tons last year for me and 5 other guys, and we've shot almost all of it. I shoot every game, every yardage with it. I've been shooting up some 8s I had loaded at handicap all winter long here in Alaska. Even in sub zero temps, it breaks them if I do my part.

Bob Dodd's spot on...you do your part, you won't have to worry about the shot.

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Pattern them at 50 yards and you won't say that. It just depends on how serious you are about giving yourself every advantage. I have had plenty of guys shoot me out using Northwest #6 shot. The question is how many more times would they have shot me out with 10% more pellts in the pattern? I don't much care what anybody shoots but I approach it from an evidence based position.As I stated in my post it's just fine for many things but past 45 yards or so you will see a bigger diffrence and the farther out you go the bigger the diffrence.

Pattern some loads at 65 yards with the both. Just draw a circle around the biggest percentage of shot in a 30" circe on the pattern board/pattern paper.

Weather or not you choose to use Westcoat shot or not is up to you but after the test your eyes will be wide open. Norhwest shot is not as hard as Westcoast and the diffrence is easily seen past 45 yards. The farther past 45 the more easily it is seen! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how hard is westcoast shot
northwest magnum lead shot

northwest magnum shot

northwest magnum shot bags
northwest magnum shot for sale
northwest magnum shot runs small

northwest magnum shot sale

nw magnum shot