1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NorthEast Funny Car Legend passes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 1oz, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oz

1oz Member

North East Funny Car owner and driver PEE WEE Wallace passed 1/29/2011 approx. 10:10 last night . He placed 1st in division 1 in F/C class 74 , 75 and 76. Pee Wee was a trapshooter .

2. racer

racer TS Member

The Virginian Cuda was one of my favorites- Dan

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Drag racing has lost a lot of legends in recent years. Willys gasser drivers from the sixties Doug Cook (Stone Woods & Cook), K.S. Pittman, Big John Mazmanian, Pork Zartman (Filthy Forty), Pro Stocker Dick Landy and a host of others. Gone but not forgotten, at least until my generation lies down for the long dirt nap.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Before I got into sprint cars and dirt track racing, I was a huge straight-line fan and competed every week at the York U.S. 30 Dragway, which was only 19 miles from my home. I ran my street muscle cars, not top fuel stuff, but I rubbed elbows with quite a few of those same names.

Around here, Bruce Larson (who was a technician at nearby Sutliff Chevrolet in Harrisburg), whomever it was who drove the Ammon R. Smith Chevrolet super stock car (his name's on the tip of my tongue but I can't say it) and Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins were the local heros.

Ed

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Ed: Was Bill Jenkin's originally from CT? Jenkins lived on my street and was into racing. Dave T.

6. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Ed

Dave Strickler and THE OLD RELIABLE!

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

One of my favorite racers passed 25+ years ago. I was a big Lee Sheppard fan and it was a sad day when I learned of his passing.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l-NlKN5Akbw" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

ss

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Dave, I'm not sure. For as long as I knew him, I believe his shop was in Bristol, Pennsylvania - just north of Phildelphia and across the river from New Jersey.

Thanks for the name, Nomo!

Ed

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

blast from the past,,, grew up at the track,,Dad was a driver and wrench , many pic;s with my instamatic,,, have one of virginain at NY National Speedway summer nats in the 60'i

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

That was neat way back in early sixties. Dave Strickler owned and drove the original "Old Reliables" and Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins wrenched them. Grumpy's Toys came later. Grumpy, from Malvern, PA, was way ahead of his time. Long live stick shift!

Jon Reitz

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DcV62lQfBOk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.