1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Northbrook First ATA Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wolfman, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Congratulations to Northbrook Sportsmans Club on their first ATA shoot in years. Well run and a great time. The burgers are awesome! Targets were great, and everything ran smoothly (except my shooting).

2. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

That is great news. My favorite club. Don Kerce

3. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

Who is running the Trap Shoots now? Don Kerce

4. funski

funski Member

How about some scores and attendance?

5. Nutso

Nutso Member

Has there been a change in club philosphy? This the first ATA shoot in a while, and also the big skeet shoot this summer, which was practically sold out before it was announced.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It seems good things are happening at Northbrook since the World FITASC was held there last summer. More big sporting clay shoots this summer, big skeet shoots, and now hopefully Northbrook will start having trap shoots again.
    The last one I went to there were only 6 or 7 shooters that showed up.

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Yes, and thanks. We went almost two years between shoots and even casual trap dwindled down to nothing. We're trying to change that, but it ain't easy.

We had a Newbie Shoot at the end of April for new ATA shooters and have a fresh crop of beginners, most of whom came back and shot the targets-only we had last Sunday. Numbers were small in both cases, pretty much deliberately. We're trying to figure out how to hold a proper shoot ourselves, and we're working our way through a trap capacity issue, so I didn't advertise either shoot. Gotta walk before you can run.

Our Spring Shoot on Sunday had 38 shooters and 75 entries, and we hope the numbers keep going up. Greg Timm won singles with a respectable 98, Wayne Lorenz won handicap and a mandatory half yard punch with a 91 in a field of 25 shooters, and John J. Miller won doubles in a small field with an 80. The targets were terrific, the weather was perfect, and everybody was done by 4:00.

Our Labor Day Illini Shoot on Saturday, August 31 and Sunday, September 1 will be a 400 bird, 200/100/50 pair, two day match, with trophies, Illini trophies in singles and Lewis Class money. We will use Presquad.com probably starting sometime in late July. We hope to have six working traps by that time and hope we can get everybody home for dinner both nights. It's worth mentioning that because this event ends on September 1, the ATA considers it a 2014 shoot. Cost is going to be around 30 bucks per event so we can get some decent trophies. I hate bringing home trash from a shoot.

I'll post back when I've got the shoot program finalized, get the cobwebs blown off the website and open up presquadding.

Too early to tell yet, but it's starting to feel like trap is back at Northbrook. Hope some of you guys come shoot with us over Labor Day.

8. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Bear in mind, my experiences were over 20 years ago. My wife was insulted by the club manager. When I confronted him, he was just as insulting to me. I had shot there several times since their move from Northbrook and each time things were worse. The final straw took place during The Grand Chicago Handicap and I never returned. Prior to the last trip, I had friends that were members and I was accepted until the friends retired to Fla.. The club had always been some what of a clique but they realized non members were a good source of income. It was/is a great facility, I'm glad to hear they have seemed to again become more accepting of non-members.

9. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

This isn't the first time I've heard stories like this, and I know a good shooter who left Northbrook for a similar reason. It doesn't take long. People vote with their feet, and they damn well should.

The good news is that those managers are long gone, and so are the most of the old shooters. Trap had dwindled down to just a few folks, so the purge is complete and we're growing again. Sometimes you have to cut back an overgrown hedge to get it healthy again.

I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened to clubs that get too big for their britches. You won't see that attitude at Northbrook today and you're welcome to shoot with us any time.

10. funski

funski Member

BOBDOG
    Congrats on your first shoot and I hope you pack'em in from now on.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have always been treated well in the past ten years whenever I visited Northbrook to shoot sporting clays. I'm surprised to hear these stories.
    Rich Friscella was very helpful while he was there, as is Bret Seibert, the current manager. The facility is so huge now, it seems reasonable that
    they would try to open it up to more shooters. It would be great if, instead of
    an expensive private club like it's been, it became a super-shooting facility on the order of Sparta, Cardinal, and Clark County.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.