1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

North Jersey Grrrrr

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Boxbirder, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

This week while at my club I noticed something that has been bothering me all day. There was a shooter that came to club with a new 28ga that he purchased for pigeon shooting. One of our members I think is going to be doing a little stock work for him.
    There are 5 trap fields there, 2 were being used 1 by a group of 3 shooters and the other was a practice trap. He had asked if he could use a field that no one was using, the range officer said why not shoot with that group. He said he had a new gun and wanted to shoot by himself but didn’t want to cause any problems. Some of the gents on the deck looked a little dumb founded.

I was at the steps when all this went down, he looked at me and said hello. I went over to him, he asked me if I wanted to take a ride to his weekend place to shoot some targets. I called my wife and asked so off we went from his house. Then to his weekend cabin for a few hours of shooting, he has a trap house and skeet field with ighting.
    I am not going to mention his name but he has to be one of the best people I have ever met, he started a business and it took off. He never forgot his roots that’s for sure, one of those simple guys, shorts, sandals, little pickup truck. When my daughter was born with Tay–Sachs disease it killed my wife and I. A few years later we were faced with bills we couldn’t afford, we needed a van, every dime we made went to her. A friend of ours told him about this, 3 weeks later there was a brand new van in our driveway, he had organized several shoots to help us funding over 120 thousand for her. Even today he has a shoots for Tay–Sachs disease.
    As we drove up to his place to shoot he never mentioned a word about what happened and seemed to just write it off as to a “what ever” but it breaks my heart to know what this guy does for places he goes to shoot at, one club was having hard time he shoots at. They were in dire need to of some new traps, sure as hell he picked up the tab. He’s one of those under estimated guys that no matter what happens he always looks at the good, lives a very quiet life. When my daughter was sick he would let us use his weekend cabin for a week at a time, we’d go up there, with are kids they’d swim in the pond use his ATVs,he bought a golf cart just to bring my daughter around the property, he’d leave a note on the table shoot all the ammo up, along with the combo to his safe. He sure helped us through some tough times, when my wife asks if he ever needs anything he asks for chocolate chip cookies. He always stops by Christmas and other holidays like he’s my brother.
    It’s seems to me some people should be more like him and not have an attitude all while sitting on the deck in the shade.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your very fortunate to have such a special friend.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

A real gentleman and here in NJ !!!! Whodathunkit .

4. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

A real nice person indeed. I used to be a licensed gun dealer. One day a doctor called and wanted a recommendation for a rifle for his sailboat to protect it from bad people. Since it was Ocean water I said the Stainless Steel Ruger Mini 14 or a S.S. Marine Pump Shotgun. He ordered the 14. About 2 days after he picked it up, another Doctor called asking if I could get him the same one for the same price. I was able to. He came up and I asked if he would like to try it out. He wondered if it was OK to fire it in town. Anyway he shot out the F R A M on the oil filter can I put on the bank. I had a tumor on my back and showed it to him. He had me go to the hospital the next week and removed it no charge. I have always been afraid of Doctors so put off the surgery. He left CT and moved to FL but gave me his number. Six months later while showering I felt a tumor between my shoulder blade and spine. I called the Doc. He said "don't worry about I'll be up". Well a week later he walks into my shop and asks to see the tumor. He gives me the choice of the Hospital or my mom's kitchen table. I take my mom's kitchen table. His wife is a nurse and assisted him. While cutting me my arm went numb so I told him he hit the nerve and to stop. He said he wasn't cutting near a nerve that would control my arm. My arm was on a case of Bud and fell asleep. He took out a tumor the size of a golf ball. Asked me what I wanted to do with it. You know get it analyzed. I said "throw it in the waste basket". His first name was Frank and he never charged me a dime. I gave him a Beretta assault rifle for a going away present.

Harry

Harry

5. seitz t22

seitz t22 TS Member

Boxbirder what's the point of your story?I was present sunday when this shooter was being assisted by our resident gun tech was helping this shooter put his gun together.

6. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I serously doubt he needed help putting his gun together, the gun was brand new, had a crack in the stock somewhere and a problem with the foreend button. My point is why didn't the range officer let him shoot solo a few rounds how hard would that have been.

7. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

I can't seem to make sense of the original post, you speak as if this happened this past Sun and you left to go to the private trap field, yet you talk about things that happened in the past with your family and all. This is my home club and I am very involved and if there is an issue I would like to understand. Based upon what I see on a weekly basis we are a very friendly club to newcomers and there is always someone around to help or to shoot with.

As for having a doc cut a tumor out of me on a kitchen table (would have at least drank the Bud) Huh???? I would go for the no charge hospital visit however that was managed, they hunt you down like a dog just for a $25 co-pay

thanks

Vic S

8. gary case

gary case TS Member

I just switched my car insurance to Geico.

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

and what does a club managers decision have to do with a bunch of fellows sitting on the porch? As I recall, the manager wanted him to shoot on a trap that was stocked with targets. It was near the end of the day and they were in the process of re-stocking and loading the one trap that was vacant.

Ed Yanchok

10. bbdanging

bbdanging TS Member

North Jersey is well run and a nice place to shoot. Shoot is the key word. Sitting on the beautiful porch is optional.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Box Birder, you are very priviledged to know a gentleman like that. And to that gentleman my hat is off to you, and may God Bless you in any way he can, as it is people like you that this world needs. Thanks

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I started shooting at N Jersey back in the 1960's Al Streelman ran the club back then. Is Evert Degraw still shooting or Fred Remington still around I know a lot of shooters passed away but heard some were still active.I saw Doc Watts at PA 2 years ago he was a regular at N Jersey.
    Buddy Walters now in Florida shooting at the Dollar

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Everett was inducted into our Hall of Fame, this year but he doesn't shoot much anymore. Barry Allen came up from Arkansas to introduce him at the induction. Fred Remington and wife Jannett are part of our Thursday night group but he doesn't shoot anymore because of illness. Doc Watts still shoots there. Streelman has been gone for many years now but was also inducted into our H of F a couple of years ago.

Ed Yanchok

14. dragracemaniac

dragracemaniac TS Member

Boxbirder, you have a pm

15. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Drag Racer, this didn't happen to me. It happen to a friend as stated above. He called last nite after he read this and explained I blew this up over nothing. He's been to good to my family and I so I guess I was thinking emotionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.