1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

North Hollywood Brings Back PITA to SoCal!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

NHSC is pleased to announce we will be hosting PITA registered shoots in Southern California. We understand that there were SoCal PITA shoots back in the 80s so welcome back. PITA offers some interesting opportunities for shooters that we look forward to presenting to SoCal shooters.

We just poured the walks for our 5th trap field and it should be finished in the next 30 days. Through the hard and enthusiastic work of our members, we have been one of the fastest growing registered shoot venues in the Country. We typically run 7+ squads and have a great time with good targets and a friendly, welcoming ambiance.

We would really enjoy having any Northern PITA shooters join us for our first PITA shoot on Sat. January 30th. Our Club is also open Wed., Sat & Sunday mornings so if you are going to be in So Cal, bring your gun and shoot with us.

For the 30th we will be shooting Singles, Handicap and some Doubles. We will offer cross registration for any shooters wanting to have scores registered with the ATA. First squads out at 8:45. Call Gary at 805 732 4880 or garybomber@IQ-west.com to pre-squad.

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

There is an ATA shoot scheduled for that date same date at NHSC. Has the ATA been canceled? Fred

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Our primary registration will be with PITA. If anyone wants their score cross registered with the ATA, they may request that before they shoot. It is only $5.00 to have a score cross registered.

4. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

5. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

Gary, nothing against the PITA, but socal has always been an ATA first region. Is there some reason for your change to being a primarily PITA range? I would have thought if you wanted to get into PITA you would have held those shoots in addition to your normal ATA shoots. Just wondering. Also I shot back in the 80s when PITA was given a try in the south...It didn't take back then. What reasons do you have for thinking it will now? Anyway good luck, hope it works out. Sean Hawley

6. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Gary/Jim: Sean raises some very good questions that I am sure are also in the minds of many of our So Cal ATA shooters. We eagerly await your response.

Also, I was wondering if you could be more specific regarding the "interesting opportunities for shooters" that you refer to in your original post. Will there be a program forthcoming that will give the details? Will these "interesting opportunities" make it worth the additional costs to So Cal ATA shooters who must cross-register?

Walt Hastings

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Congrat's! I wish there was more time for me to plan or I'd be joining you for this shoot (I'm in NorCal). I will try to make it though. I wish you good luck.

Mr. Hawley, what's the problem with offering shooters a choice in Associations? Really, ATA & PITA can co-exist just fine - all over the state. Seems to work out just fine up here and in other states. Times have changed and so have shooters. Perhaps this is what they want now.

I shoot both associations and in my opinion, this opens up way more opportunities for all of us to experience shooting throughout the entire state. More places to shoot, new people to meet and shoot with? Seriously, what's wrong with that? Really, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

Good luck North Hollywood - I hope you have a great turnout.

Sherree

8. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

Sherree, I didn't say that there is anything wrong with shooting PITA. My question was why make an already ATA range into a primarily PITA range in an area that has traditionally been a ATA region. Sounds like someone is trying to punish the ATA/CGSTA and in doing so the shooters are the ones that suffer. Shooters who wish to continue registering ATA targets as they have for many years will now be forced to spend an additional $5 per day to do so. For many that won't be a financial burden that they can't handle, for some it will be and for some they may just say the heck with it and start doing something else. Whatever happens I truely hope that Trapshooting with thrive in socal. Good luck..... shoot well and often. Sean Hawley

9. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

Sherree: I think you may have missed Sean's point... sure, ATA and PITA CAN co-exist, and that would be fine. It appears however that NHSC has chosen to only offer PITA shoots. I would support your concept of co-existence, as Sean does, and suggest to NHSC that they hold both ATA and PITA shoots. How about on an alternating monthly basis?

Walt Hastings

10. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I shot in So Cal in the 60s and 70s and as I remember, all registered shoots were both ATA and PITA, we had to pay double dues etc to both to compete. When I started shooting again in the 90s, the PITA was gone and just ATA. I really don't know what advantage the PITA offers the shooters. Can you explain?
    Tom Lieb

11. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Wow Gary,

What is going on and what benefit is it to shoot PITA in southern California? I have been around since the mid nineties and understand why PITA started. I also understand why it was not successful south of the northern part of California. We are know asking shooters of southern California to spend money to join PITA, pay their fees and then by the way if you want to cross register targets it will cost you an extra $5.00.

As a gun club owner or operator it is your decision. But, I also know that your position as a CGSTA Director could be considered a conflict for the CGSTA membership. I have heard Terry saying he was going to throw PITA for sometime and am curious why you chose to do this before Terry did. Again we are penalizing the shooters of Southern California.

Another point is for me to attend another PITA shoot besides your club I would have to drive approximately 400 miles. That is for a weekend shoot. To attend any major shoot for PITA start double and tripling the miles.

Again I ask what benefit is this to the CGSTA members and the growth of the membership you were asked to support?

James Hammond

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

James, with all due respect, you have shot once at our club in the last 5 years and you haven't shot a California ATA target since last June. Further, you resigned as a CGSTA director so while I am sure you have the best interests of SoCal shooters at heart, wouldn't you agree it should be left to those of us who shoot in California and actually have to work to put on a shoot to decide how best to invest our time and effort?

Of course, you are always welcome to shoot with us and should you also volunteer to help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Competition is a good thing. Is there some reason both organizations can't share the same venue? Jim

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Back when I started to shoot trap, both ATA and PITA were active here in So Cal.

PITA shoots were mostly 50/50/25pair....and it attracted most of the older shooters who were not physically up to 100/100/50 pair shoots. As the older guys died off, PITA declined.

In those days the Handicapper asked for both cards when you signed up for a shoot, and assigned your class and yardage on both. At state and large shoots, both totals were used for minimum targets shot.

I see no reason not to have both organizations back in So Cal, especially if they were 50/50/25 pair ...all us old pharts would love it! As far as cost....BS! One round of practice or a lunch will cover the cost!

Seems to me that the CGSTA is starting to sound like Obama & Company!

15. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Jim with no last name,

For one it was addressed to Gary of NHSC but will post to you also then.

You might want to check your records again before you assume my attendance. As for the questions I asked above, is there an answer so I can educate myself and make a better decision? I did not know you cared as to where and when I shoot.

I think I can ask these questions as I have shot a lot of targets in California and supported the CGSTA for many years. My role as a life member to the ATA and CGSTA along with being a second alternate is still support and also means I care. Wouldn't you agree?

Signed always with first and last name,

James Hammond

16. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

if dues and cross registration gets your panties in a bunch then you're in the wrong game. ata and pita dues are a bargain so i don't see the penalty to so cal shooters. you cross register only if you want to - it is not mandatory. PITA and ATA co-exist very well in a number of states including the north part of california. we get two state shoots and.............

you get to go to either the pita grand or the grand american or both. the pita grand is a fantastic shoot.

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The shoot management at our club has decided to throw PITA targets. This does not mean that we won't also throw ATA shoots as well. Our goal is to provide good targets, a nice facility, good food and fun competition, regardless of the primary registration.

The fact that our registered shoots have gone from 20,000 targets per year to 125,000 targets per year is due solely to the hard work of our club volunteers and shooters responding positively to those efforts. It is to these people that we are obligated, not the ATA, CGSTA or the PITA.

As for Redlands, Terry Bilbey makes his own decisions just as we do. While he has cancelled his registered shoots for January and February, I understand that in March he also will be offering a PITA shoot with cross registration.

Now there really is no value in arguing about PITA vs ATA, etc,etc. Further, we really have no interest in the politics of the CGSTA. We just plan on having good shoots, having fun, eating well, seeing old friends and making new ones. If this is what shooters want, then they will come out and join us. Everyone is welcome.

BTW, because of the storms, Gary lost his DSL so I am posting per his comments.

Jim Tyner
    NHSC Facilities Chairman and Gary Bombalicki's lackey. :)(for those of you who can't shoot with us very often and don't get to hear Gary tell me what to do).

Here endeth our comments, you all can carry on as you wish.

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry..... The rules of the sanctioning organization of the shoot prevail. There is no disqualification for the extra doubles if the shoot is a PITA sanctioned event. Same holds true in handicap. The 97 gets a punch and there is no effect to your ATA card. In the PITA, just as in the ATA, you must earn your yardage...... The rules of the PITA are posted on www.shootpita.com Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim Tyner and the NHSC.... I applaude your decision, your foresight, and your positive attitudes towards the shooters. Bottom line is the shooters are the ones that count, and they pay the bills.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Toddy

Toddy Member

I personnally think this is great but unfortunatly I will have to leave for Hawaii State Shoot, P.I.T.A. on Feb.10-15 and that won't leave me any time to shoot at N.H.S.C. on Jan.30 and make my plane Feb. 3rd from Victoria BC, but, next year I plan on making the 2011 Crab Buckle shoot in Cresent City,Cal. and carry on down to any shoots below that are P.I.T.A.

The ATA Canadians this year are being held in Vancouver BC and run under both P.I.T.A. and ATA. at the end of June.

I hope your club all the success in your future shoots and look forward to being there one day.

I would suggest however that if you want to draw in the far away shooters then you have to hold at least a 2 day shoot if not more because thats a long way to travel for a one day shoot for out of state shooter's.

Best of luck.

Reginald T. Todd Sr., East Sooke, BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.