1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

North East Grand American--Pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wdr-NY, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Well... I'm in Cicero, NY this week covering the Northeast Grand. The weather was uncharacteristically gorgeous today--65 and sunny with just a slight breeze. 120 plus shooters participated in the Preliminary 100 Singles--Dave Shaeffer Jr, Brian Whalen and two others ran the 100 and will carry over to tomorrow. Dave Shaeffer Jr, Keith Welch and one other broke 96 in the caps to lead all shooters. Shaeffer defeated Welch 24-23 in the first round of shoot off to take the Champions slot.

Multiple 98's are carrying over to tomorrow in for the doubles crown. I snapped some photos as always.

Chad Landon from NY in today's doubles...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tyler Bigras and Aaron Pollack of Vermont in today's doubles...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave Shaeffer Jr during the doubles...
    [​IMG]

NYS Hall of Famer John Rudy Sr. during today's doubles...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NYS Hall of Famer Keith Welch shooting off for Handicap Champion this evening--Keith finished runner-up...
    [​IMG]

All American Paul Shaw shooting off for 3rd in today's handicap...
    [​IMG]

Vijay Puran took 4th in today's handicap after falling to Shaw in the shoot off...
    [​IMG]

Dave Shaeffer Jr during the handicap shoot off--Dave took the Champions trophy...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I need sunglasses for that last shot.

Congratulations to all of the winners.

3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Thanks for the update Walker, we enjoyed the pictures.

It really figures, we moved south and the sun finally came out up north.

Hope the rest of the week is as good as the opener.

Keep us posted, we enjoy it.

Dave & Judy in South Carolina

PS: At least your Dad won't have to worry about the rattle snakes if the sun stays out...

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Walker, what is Dave shooting for doubles now? Doesn't look like that hunk_of_junk Citori in the above pic.

5. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

He might be on the Blaser Plan.

6. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

The weather today started out iffy. We woke up to rain and chilly temps, but fortunately things cleared up about an hour into the singles event.

A dozen or so of the 268 shooters in the singles event went straight--led by Harlan Campbell. All of the trophies are carrying over into tomorrow's 200 bird Class Singles event.

Dave Shaeffer Jr changed his front bead to one of Chris Vendel's mini-beads, just 20 mins or so before the Empire Handicap--he then went out and broke 99 to take the crown outright. He asked me to mention Chris' bead and how happy he is with it. Chris is in the process of launching a new website for CRV Custom Arms, but if anyone would like to check out his beads, they can be seen at www.crvcustomarms.webs.com.

Frank Pascoe of PA and Steve Hawkins of Virginia ran the 100 in doubles--Pascoe took AAA and Hawkins the Vet title. Bob Malmstedt, Chris Vendel and Jim Flint were shooting off for AAA runner up when the lights went out. They will continue the shoot off tomorrow morning at 7:30am.

I snapped some photos... My full coverage of the NE Grand will be in December's issue of Trapshooting USA.

All the best,

Walker

Harlan Campbell during today's singles...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The handicap event...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All Americans, Steph Sandler (Lady Champ in the event) and Christopher Vendel, prepping for Caps...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The doubles event...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a shot I took right before the handicap shoot offs. This is from bank 6 looking down towards banks 7-10...
    [​IMG]

Michael Fox Jr, Michael Moran and Cody Davis shooting off for handicap trophies. Fox lost his shoot off with Mark Greene and finished 3rd after posting a 97 in the event. Chad Landon beat out Michael Moran for 4th place after tying with 96, and Cody Davis finished Junior runner up to Justin Slater after 94s and one round of shoot offs...

[​IMG]

Justin Slater, Junior Champ in the Empire Handicap...
    [​IMG]

Mark Greene, runner-up in the Empire Handicap...
    [​IMG]

Michael Fox, 3rd...

[​IMG]

Kie Kababik won his shoot off over Carson Klikus to take the Sub Junior crown in the Empire Handicap after a 94 in the event...

[​IMG]

We have a long day tomorrow with 200 singles and 100 caps... To answer someone's earlier question, Shaeffer has been shooting a prototype Blaser F3 for doubles. This event was only the third time he has shot the gun--with scores of 93, 94, 95.

Walker

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Are those snow clouds ????........Uncle Sam, Pa.

8. Cray

Cray Member

wdr-NY
    Several years ago, Harlan's guns were stolen from his truck.Would you ask him if they were ever recovered? Cray

9. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

Cray,

The truck was recovered but the guns still have not been found. I'll buy the Perazzi if you find it.

10. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Walker,

It was nice meeting you at the NE Grand. The photos you took are great and appreciated.

If I shoot better and actually win something will you take my picture?

Keep up the great work.

Dr. Honk

11. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

whom won the championships, sgls cap dbls?

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the winning scores for the whole shoot. Bill Malcolm

13. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

The issue with the Database put me a little bit behind. I'll post pics for Fri, Sat and Sun a little later in the day along with a full report.

Shaeffer won the Singles Championship
    Kay Ohye won the Doubles
    Brad Heath won the Handicap after beating out Shaeffer 25-24 in shoot off.
    Harlan took HOA over Shaeffer by two birds
    Shaeffer won the HAA.

All the best,

Walker

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I suspect the weather was not real good, but from the scores posted, they didn't need to throw faster-wider targets at this shoot.

15. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Weather perfect Sat & Sun Hard birds or soft birds, who knows?????

Many Many long yardage birds hit but they no break. You could push them around, but could not get a "chip".

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

just curious, what brand of targets were used for this shoot?

17. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

White Flyer targets were used for this shoot.

NY target, orange with a black rim.

I did not think the targets were any more difficult to break than at any other shoot.

I just shot poorly. No lost targets because of any other reason.

Weather was great.

Dr. Honk

18. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

The long yardage 'caps scores tell it all. Same targets/scores at the Hogans the week before. Ask any long yardage shooter with above an 89 average if there was anything different about the targets.

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I believe there may be a batch of "hard" white flyer targets out there in the north east. We held the US Open for skeet @ Rochester Brooks in NY a couple weeks ago, and scores were remarkably low, especially for a shoot which is typically in the top 5 shoots in the country. 397s shot off for HOA champ, where there would normally be at least 1 400x400 or 399x400, one or two 398x400s, and a handful of 397x400s. Weather was not enough of a factor to cause scores this low in my opinion. The week before, at the NY state shoot, we shot "apparently" the same targets, in similar conditions, and there was one 499x500, and one 497x500 for HOA champ and RU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aaron pollack trap and skeet

justin slater top usa trap shooter

tookhoasnake image