1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

North Carolina State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I would like a copy of the program for the NC State Shoot at Bostic. I have been on the site of the NCTA and looked at the "View Program" under the State Shoot and I get a page with and Adobe symbol and a statement that says "its a big download". When I click it, the site informs me that the link can't be found.

Can anyone post a full program now?

2. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I posted the link a couple of weeks ago and around Thursday the link went down. It'd be good if somebody can get on that and either get the link working again or repost the program through a different URL.

Also, the link posted on the ATA site is wrong; it takes you to a shoot in VA that was last year.

Listen everybody; with all due respect for the work I know many people do, ya'll need to get the electronic skills working in the Trap world. With budgets shrinking for things like mailing out programs, the Web IS how we should be getting them. It’s not just a cool, novel thing to do. Its practically free and available 24-7 in the convenience of your home or work. You might even hook some more shooters (especially younger shooters) if things were reliably posted online in a timely manner, considering that's where young people get much of their worldly information.

If you take the time and energy to make a program, it should be submitted for posting to three different places;

The Club holding the shoot's web site.
    The State Organization's web site.
    The ATA site.

If you are in a leadership position, especially a secretary, shoot director or whoever is responsible for getting out the word, it should be an understood prerequisite that you have the electronic skills and means to get programs and information posted as soon as the details are decided upon. This should be a standard question the nominating committee asks of candidates for those jobs. We have to know about the shoots first before we can plan on attending them, especially the newer shooters.

I know for the experienced shooters attending shoots is understood and most of the time you simply need to know the date. Many times little else changes from year to year. In order to get new shooters out, which we MUST do to continue and grow our sport, they must have the information. The sooner the better.

3. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

And Another Selfish Baby Boomer says something Stupid and Ignorant!

Normally, I let things like internet chatter roll off but not today.

Why don't you understand stand that the web is practically no cost and mail is expensive?

Why don't you understand that the sooner we know the details, the sooner we can plan to attend and shoot?

Why don't you understand that without new shooters this sport will DIE, along with you in the Nursing Home sucking my Social Security that I'll never see, needless to say my children will never get.

If you can't fix problems and offer solutions, then SHUT YOUR COMPLAINING PIEHOLE! If this sport dies because you can't step up, then we all lose, young and old. Learn it, old dog!

4. Damifino

Damifino Member

You should volunteer to do it. Like you said, it's easy (since the programs are already type-set), it's cheap, and the community needs ambitious experts like yourself.

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I got my program the old fashiond way snail mail,,,if you realy need to know now PM me

6. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Damifino,

I'd be more than happy to. PM me the following:

The program in electronic format.

The access codes to the FTP server for the NC State website.

I'll have it up in less than 24 hours. It really is that easy.

If you don't have those things, then give me the email of somebody that does and IS WILLING TO LET ME DO HIS JOB FOR HIM.

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

While the internet is a great tool for such communications, Clay Killr, a good many current shooters either don't have the knowledge or the hardware necessary to receive email or visit a web site. As you pointed out shooting is an expensive sport, not only for the shooters, but also for the club. What you are proposing doesn't reduce the cost of sending out the notifications, it just moves it from the club to the shooter. Instead of the club paying for printing and postage the shooters would have to pay for computers and internet access. Yes, they can in some cases go to the library to get access to a computer, but it's not uncommon for libraries to use filters to restrict access to sites they find questionable. I know while my wife was in the hospital for knee surgery a few months ago I could not access this site using the hospital's wireless because they had any site relating to shooting blocked.

For the time being the shooting community will have to exist in both worlds, electronic and paper.

8. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

jhoward,
    Thank You for some constructive words. Although I somewhat agree with you, I'll say this. I've been registered with ATA at this snail mail address for 2 years and have yet to get ANY programs in the US mail, for whatever reason.

With that being known, the web and email are the only way I get shoot programs. Until new shooters start "appearing" on the mailing list, it's the only regular way they can get programs.

There is simply no good, valid reason why if the time and energy is spent making a program, that it shouldn't appear on the web shortly thereafter. It takes someone with even mediocre electronic skills less than half an hour to do so. Even less once they do it once or twice.

Like it or not, it is now part of the job. The future of our sport depends on it.

My offer still stands: I will be happy to do it for whoever in the NCTA can't or doesn't want to, provided I get the correct information.

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Clay Killr

We have contacted the NCTA VP and the webmaster for the nctrap website regarding the link to the program.

I don't know exactly when the link was made available and according to your post above it went down Thursday.

Looking at the properties of the link it appears to be a .pdf proof copy of the final program product. My guess is that it was made available for proofing purposes only.

It is really pretty simple singles/caps/doubles on wed - fri with 200 singles Saturday and 100 doubles 100 caps Sunday.

You are correct on the idea of making the program available on the internet soon after the information is approved. However there are the folks that do not use a computer and some folks that have computers really like a program in hand.

rdf59 sent me a private message regarding a program and we immediately contacted the appropriate people to make that happen.

FRedmon - I would say enough has been said:)

10. 682LINY

682LINY Member

,,,,a call to any state ata will get you on the state mailing list,,,,the other way is to shoot enough registerd targets to be put on your near by states such as Pa,,,If you register 100 targets a year ,,,they most likly wont send you a program unless you ask for it

11. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Ditto that David!

12. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I give up. You all will take your sport with you to your graves with no one to follow. Is that what you really want? Do you really want to answer a ringing phone all day, taking down addresses for requests for programs? Although quaint and friendly, it's terribly inefficient. If you got the time, power to you.

Don't complain to me when no one new wants to shoot with a bunch of grumpy old men who refuse to join the 21st century. Trapshooting will go quietly into the night with barely a whimper due to a lack of new participation. All Obama has to do is sit back and smile. He's already won.

Have it your way.

13. Art D

Art D Member

I contact NCTA and they send me a program.Is that hard or what.

14. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Clay Killr,
    Rome wasn't built in a day, you get more with honey than you do with vinegar, lead by example and always take the high road. I understand your frustration but you will get further and gain respect doing it if you become involved somewhere and make a difference where and when you can. Complaining here does not shine a positive light on you.

15. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

More to follow

16. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

One more to follow

17. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

The end ?

18. rdf59

rdf59 Member

It's very interesting to see some of the haughty, or smart a-- comments that a few of you come out with.

I am a new shooter (2 months) to the registered shoot trap scene and I don't know that all shoots are the same. I am also looking to the efficiency that internet communication provides so I have kept up with advances on the internet in order to keep up with business competition.

Anyone who says make a phone call and give your mailing address to someone, is really behind the curve. The trap organizing people are too busy to be bothered with phone answering, addressing, stuffing and mailing envelopes. I, too, am busy and like to receive the information in a time slot that I reserve for getting email and planning hobby/recreation time.

Since I am 72 years old, still very active, have managed a 90+ avg in my newly adopted sport, have started, taken over, sold and gifted 6 corporations with many millions in sales and many employees-- and am currently managing several large charitable and corporate trust and running several charitable events, I need to stay on the leading edge of communications and I expect others in this USA to do the same.

I think that Clay KillR is in the right track in his comments ---- and thank you Cy-Kick for posting the schedule

I have seen many people who have not shared in successes that they think they deserve. They suffer from short sighted thinking, such as displayed by a few in this thread.

Also, attitudes that show disrespect for others do discourage newcomers in this sport. You all want to see better participation in the sport so that more, not fewer, shoots are held. Show interest, show respect, and above all, show kindness.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

The NC State program is very incomplete. It does not tell shooters that they can enter every event the first day they arrive and if they have to miss an event (rain?), the club will give a refund for any reason with no questions asked. I wounder how long it will take other clubs to figure out this saves work for the cashier. Also the program does not tell everyone that much of the red clay behind the club house has been replaced with green grass. Other important things left out of the program are; the fire ants are usually restricted to the last three traps, the black berries near the front gate will not be ready to pick and when you see a couple of concrete blocks and a small flag behind the trap line or in the parking lot,it means there is a Killdeer nest with eggs between the blocks.

Also, if you happen to tie me in an event and I suggest that we flip to determine the winner, it means I have absolutely no intention of showing up for the shoot off.

Pat Ireland

20. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.