1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

North Carolina Scholastic Clay Target Program

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CarolinaShooter, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolinaShooter

CarolinaShooter TS Member

Dear trapshooters,
    i have been having trouble recruiting kids to shoot for the SCTP in NC. If anyone has any suggestions about how to get more kids to shoot, please let me know. I am a new coach in NC, and need as much help as possible. Recruiting is by far the biggest problem we have in NC. So again, if anyone has any suggestions or would like to help out with recruitment in NC please post a message or email me at tgallowa@email.unc.edu.

CarolinaShooter

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

The best advocates for SCTP are the kids themselves. You need to enlist their help to recruit and evangelize the program to their peers. Overcoming the "fear and paranoia" of parents that don't shoot is a matter of proper education - the National SCTP has some good reading materials to help with this.

Have you hosted a clinic for new shooters??

It costs money, but if our experience (California) is any indication then host a clinic offering loaner guns, cheap targets and a free lunch. The kids can attend and participate without needing to make much of an investment other than their time. Set up the traps to throw straightaways only. Emphasize fun, safety and coaching.......with an emphasis on fun, safety and coaching.

Are you allowed to solicit through the schools?

We're holding our clinic of March 3 at a local club and we've passed out fliers to all the local sports shops - it's always a fun event and usually very well attended.

3. juniorshooter

juniorshooter TS Member

I will get an e-mail off to you sometime today. I have some suggestions that has helped Wisconsin.

Matt Schneider, Wisconsin SCTP Director

4. willing

willing Member

In
    eastern North Carolina there is a FFA(?) program. Perhaps you could check with a local high school.

Bill

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Tell them they can listen to Tupac on the IPOD and turn the gun sideways sometimes when they take a shot...that might work..just kidding

6. gunner

gunner TS Supporters TS Supporters

Carolina Shooter - you may just want to go to your local gun club, and start helping some kids that are already shooting. When they have a coach to help them, the word will spread (especially through parents who don't know anything about shooting, but are glad to have a coach for their kid). You'll be able to recruit other kids (and parents) through them. Unfortunately, the SCTP doesn't provide any equipment or financial support for a team, so you'll have to work with the local club, parents, and club members for donations, and maybe some government agencies to get money, if you want to have loaner guns and travel. Joe

7. CarolinaShooter

Thank you all for helpful input about recruiting young shooters in north carolina. Just recently i saw on fox news something about 45 schools competitively shooting in a safe shooting program/tournament that runs through the schools near kernersville. I know that it is not trapshooting, but it involves archery and simple shotgun shooting(just goes in one direction). Parents are spending around 3,500 for each one of their kids to shoot in this program. How can i persuade them that shooting trap is better for their kids? what is the best way to influence them that shooting trap is more prestiges and more fun? How can i influence the school to have competitive trap tournaments rather than having this type of simple shotgun shooting as a varsity/club sport?

8. Full Choker 25

Full Choker 25 TS Member

Get some good looken girls on the team and the rest will come.

I am not saying this will be the best thing for the boys to be around if they want to shoot high scores.

Collin

9. CarolinaShooter

anybody else have any useful info about getting more of our youth involved in this sport?

10. CIM

CIM TS Member

The best way to recruit is go the schools like we did in Tennessee.It is letter sport at our Middle schools and High Schools here.We have over 3000 kids shooting targets in our SCTP programs.It takes 5-days for them to shoot there State SCTP Championships and you have never seen as many people at your gun club in your lives.The vendors flock to our shoots because of this.

CIM

11. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

How many ideas do you need?

38-01615

12. CarolinaShooter

i need as many ideas as possible!

13. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

cshooter - get out of class early Thursday so we can leave for Florida early!

That 2 o'clock leaving time blows!

38-01615

14. CarolinaShooter

get over it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

scholastic clay target program north carolina

target club at schools in nc