1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Normal distance of flight for target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I saw a thread on here about breaking a 90 yard target!!! Now I know I've shot a few targets just before they hit the ground on the 3rd shot of a Annie or miss and out from the 30 yard line. My question is how far of a shoot is that??? Figure 2 yards before normal end of the target flight of a properly set field??? I guess I could look it up in the book, but how many here know??? Thanks in advance. Break-em all. Jeff

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, since the 50-yard stake is called that for a reason, if you hit a target from the 30-yard line (and it's called that for a similar reason) that is 2 yards short of the stake, you'd have hit the target at a distance of 78 yards.

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have a 90 yard target at North Jersey Clay Target Club. It's an normal target, thrown from trap one and shot from the 27 yard line of our trap three.
    It must be shot with a factory, ATA legal shell, supplied by the club.

Ed Yanchok

4. Pull & Mark

Thanks V-l0. I've never heard anyone call it the 50 yard stake before, but now I know. So now, I know I shot that target with 7 l/2's at 1250 fps at 78 yards. So I'd have to say it is possible to break a 90 yard target with 7 l/2's with possibly a sporting clay load at 1350 fps or so. What do you all say??? Break-em all. Jeff

5. Pull & Mark

Ed, How can a 90 yard shot, be a standard target if it hits the ground at 77 yards out!!! Jeff

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

A properly set trap will throw a straight target 50 yards +/-2 yards from the house. Most trap machines have enough power to launch then further than that if you crank up the power. However, that will break a lot of targets as they are thrown.

7. Dale in Va

Dale in Va TS Member

when we shoot off we are about 15 yards back from the 27. It get intersting when we move 15 yards back from the 27 and about 30 yards to the right, you really have to lead them. I use cheap fed 7 1/2 1200fps breaks them if you know where to hold.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

3-3/4 D.E., 1-1/4 oz. of #5's.

Curt

9. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Jeff, Sit and talk to Dave about shooting Scrap Targets from inside where the Men's bathroom floor drain is located...during construction of Markham Park Club House. Shot's made with Factory Federal Papers..7-1/2's, you could shoot, lower your gun and eject shells...AS Target Breaks...well Past 90 yards. Or the times of standing on Trap house #1 and shooting targets from Trap house #5
    Now That's a Crosser...About 2-1/2 Greyhound Bus Lenghts for Lead...All Done with Federaal Papers 7-1/2's. And HATE to Say it...But Miss the GOOD OLD DAYS.
    Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart Reynolds

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Jeff -

Re-read Ed's post. They are shooting a target thrown from TRAP 1 from the 27-yard line of TRAP 3.

Scott

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"A properly set trap will throw a straight target 50 yards +/-2 yards from the house."

Make that +/- one yard and it will be properly set. From the rulebook,

"Singles targets shall be thrown not less than 49 yards nor more than 51 yards. Distance measurements are on level ground in still air. Targets shall be between 8 feet and 10 feet high, when 10 yards from Point B. The recommended height is 9 or 9 1/2 feet."

Bob Lawless

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The Evergreen Sportmans Club, in Washington State, has a Trap set in front of another Trap that measures 40yards from the 27 yard line of the first trap.

The first gun starts at 40yards. The second and third shots are of course longer than that, depending how fast the first two shooters are.

BUT, if you want a better/longer challenge try the Lemon Grove gun club in SCalif. Take your hotter/bigger loads and get ready for a humble night.

Ajax

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Clubs holding serious pot shoots pay no attention to ATA guidelines when holding those tough shoots. The want the winners decided very quick and start another event ASAP.

Hap

14. Pull & Mark

Scott, thanks for the head up on that one. We can't do that from our club as they are trap/skeet overlay fields and have a high fence type concrete wall that divides the fields making shooting like that very hard indeed. LOL. Also would to add that I've shot more than a few miss and outs at our local shoots for some nice pots and they provide the ammo, which has always been 1200 fps loads of 7 l/2's from a Euro type shell for the last few years (shot is smaller) some of these shots were quite far, but I've never been able to really measure them. So I find it safe to say it is very possible to break a target out at 90 yards with a 7/8 oz. load. I wanted to find out without high-jacking the other thread as it were. Any others like to add to this??? Break-em all. Jeff

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

At 100 yards, would a size 7½ shot go thru a cardboard box?

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

At Evergreen the background trees are a long way out but no way to really tell how far they are.

It's pretty easy at Lemon Grove. There is a 100 yard rifle range on the right side of the traps. When the bird falls off into the canyon the bird is at the end of the rifle range, or past it. The loads where not 7-1/2's. Oh, did I mention the canyon? LOL

Jeff-I would say it could be possible to break them with 7/8, but not very probable.

RickN-I'm not sure if a 7-1/2 will go through a cardboard box but they will go through milk carton stock. Not the full carton just the paper it's made out of. It's coated with thin plastic on both sides.
    Ajax

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We shoot off an embankement so you can still shoot at the target when it goes below the grade of the trap house. This makes 90+ yard shots possible and I have seen a few targets broken at that distance but those shots are few and far between.

But just to prove to yourself how little performance normal trap loads have at that distance, set a clay target out at 90 to 100 yards and shoot at it with your trap gun. You probably won't break it on the first shot. (assuming you have the elevation correct)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flight of a trap target

trap target distance