1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Norinco Lever Action Shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Claybusta, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claybusta

Claybusta TS Member

Norinco recently came out with their model 1887 Lever Action 12 Ga.
    Other than pictures, I have not seen one yet. Does anyone have one?
    I'm curious as to how well they function. It has a 20 inch barrel
    with a fixed choke, does anyone know what the choke is?

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I sold one to a customer last week. The choke is cyl. Like any other gun the action isn't smooth until you get it broke in. The cost was $425.00. As an after thought, put a thirty inch barrel with choke tubes on it and go shoot the Grand Handicap event.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

It's Chinese. It's CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

There's an article on the IAC 1887 Winchester in the current (Spring, 2007, #53) issue of "Guns of the Old West" magazine.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually, once these clones of the Winchester 1887 shotgun are either broken in, or better, taken apart and properly fitted, they're not bad at all. They've become popular for use with cowboy shooters, their intended sales group. These folks have been rebuilding original Winchester 1887 shotguns. But there are only so many out there, and some are in such poor condition that you're better off starting with the Chicom clone.<br>
    <br>
    As far as shooting aerial targets, the Model 1887, regardless of whether it is an original Winchester or a Chicom clone, leaves a lot to be desired. They don't point well, they're clumsy, the felt recoil is more than a pump, and they're heavy. For TACTICAL shooting, like cowboy shoots, they're OK. Their main advantage is that you can load two shells faster than any of the other cowboy shotguns, these being side-by-side or the Winchester 1897 pump. When the action is open, it exposes the magazine at the same time it exposes the chamber. It's just a wee bit faster than a double to load, if you practice enough.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

1887 or 1897?

7. Brian in Oregon

The Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun came in 12ga and 10ga. It was replaced by the nearly identical 1901 lever action shotgun in 10ga only. The reason was that the 1893 and 1897 pump exposed hammer pump shotguns in 12ga obsoleted it. Winchester still needed a 10ga repeater, and decided not to scale up the 1893/1897. They chose the 1887 in 10ga but made some internal improvements to it.<br>
    <br>
    The 1897 is basically a take-down version of the fixed barrel 1893, and both lead directly to the hammerless Model 12. The takedown arrangement of the 1897 is almost identical to the Model 12.

8. Brian in Oregon

Oh, I might add some famous movies using these guns.<br>
    <br>
    The 1901 lever action shotguun was used in "Terminator 2" by Arnold.<br>
    <br>
    The bad guy in "Monte Walsh", starring Tom Selleck, used a Model 1887 lever action shotgun.<br>
    <br>
    Interestinggly, the shotguns in both of these movies were cut down.<br>
    <br>
    The Model 1897 pump shotgun was used in the movie "The Wild Bunch" by Warren Oates and others.<br>
    <br>
    In real life, the Model 1897 was used by Doughboys in WWI. This model had a perforated sheet metal handguard to prevent burned hands when used to thrust and parry with a bayonet. It was nicknamed the Trench Broom". (The Model 12 also got this treatment, but I have no information of them being used in WWI in combat. They were used in WWII.)

9. benelli101

benelli101 TS Member

i have a 1887 norinco lever action. my grandfather recently gave it to me and the lever would get jammed and we figured it would just need to be broken in, come to realize it was breaking a piece of the barrel on the inside of the action off. causing the lever to not close properly. we are sending it back out to hopfully get fixed.. very fun gun to shoot at clays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

iac model 1897 cowboy

lever action shot guns for trap shotting

shooting a 1887 winchester lever shotgun