1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Norinco copy of Winchester 97 Trench gun ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Got questions for this shotgun:

1) Anyone has experience with these copies? Anything failed after shooting?

2) What you paid for one of these? If you don't mind.

Thank you very much.

I found a like new used one for $350 or $397 out the door. Interesting.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Norinco made a very good copy of the Colt 1911 .45 auto. The Norinco SKS was very good as well. I can't say about the 1897 copy but they might have done it right as well.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I had no problem with mine. upgraded the "mystery wood" with a walnut winchester stock. otherwise. worked fine. think I paid $299 for it 4-5 years ago.

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

The machining is rough. How will it function? Not bad. Mostly it depends how much you use it and what you use it for.

Thats my two cents

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Cowboy shooters have them polished to take out the roughness of the parts and they work much better.

Don

6. 410Ed

410Ed TS Member

The Norinco 1897 is junk! Bought one for $325., worked the action without shooting 3 times, and it JAMMED UP!!! and this was in gunshop!
    Needless to say, I refunded the purchase!
    Save your $350 toward a REAL 1897!
    Smokem

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

For a little more you can buy a real 97, may need a little tlc but you will have something. What do you think the copies made by the Chinese Army Idustrial Complex will be worth in 10 years if they are even still working?

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I had two Winchester 97 trench guns, sold them both to a dealer for $3000 couple years ago. Not particularly miss them, just curious if these $350 copies worth the look.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Steve, in my opinion, there are two chains of thought concerning the Norinco guns. One is that some people love em, and some love to hate em. I have one and have no problems with it. I also have quiet a few of the Winchesters.

One line of thought is that the Chink guns are made of harder metal and should last longer and take more punishment, which the cowboy shooters give their guns. They were made with the cowboy shooters in mind.

When I bought my Norinco, they were a bit less than 350, and worth every penny, in my opinion. I have no experience with the trench configuration other that seeing them on the shelf. I had no need for one, so I passed on it.

You can't go wrong if that is what ya want.

On the other hand, if you are interested in a plain Winchester, I could be talked out of some of mine.

Gne J

10. BigM-Perazzi

Let me know where original Winchester 97 trench guns are available for the same cost as the norinco... I'll buy them up and make a small fortune.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

BigM, where did ya hear that they were available for the same cost as the Norinco?

12. sliverbulletexpress

He probably talking about my comment, should have made it clearer for the slower. You can buy a standard Winchester 97 for a little more than a new Chicom Red Star Commie copy trench gun or otherwise. OK? I've seen useable Winchester 97's for $400-$500 not the trench version, I'm assuming they wanted something for cowboy shooting. Who in their right mind would abuse a collector grade Win 97 trench gun for cowboy shooting? The Chinese Commie Red Army copy can be bought in trench version or plain or even as a 93 if you want, they can squat on a rock and beat out and old piece of an American Battleship into any kind of gun you want and some American will buy it even knowing the proceeds go directly to the Red Army. I hope my message is not too subtle.

13. BigM-Perazzi

Not at all. Idiotic, but not subtle.

I'll take a good piece of American battleship most any time...

and, your correct, my question was in regards the trench gun.

Hell, most American companies are sending YOUR money to the Chinese for product anyway... so whats your point?

Buy American? give me a break!

It ain't going to happen again, get used to it...

14. sliverbulletexpress

BigM I know I can't avoid buying Chinese goods, I try my best. Buying ChiCom firearms is entirely different and you seem to miss that. Norinco and all the other Chinese firearms companies under there various names are owned directly by the Chinese military. Check it out, google you know. So if that is not enough to keep you from buying one, well that's your conscience.

For me when I pick up my original 97 I have a feeling of history, take it apart and you will marvel at the precision handwork that went into it. The brilliance of John Moses Browning is in your hands.

With the Chinese ripoff, ughh, and a sick feeling from the stinking grease made from God only knows what that they use, is the only feeling I get.

Oh yeh I broke the hammer spring on my 97 today before anyone reminds me. That's ok it's old and been threw a lot that I know about, and no telling what else, so this first part to ever break while I've owned it I can forgive it.

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This always makes me popular but ......If you cannot buy American.....your cheap or lazy,....or both.

And no.... your wrong....American company's DO NOT ALL SEND MONEY TO China.

My products are built with no chicom components.....If a customer demands a brand that will be Chicom they pay extra for the retrofit.....a lot extra. I will usually request that the customer provide the components if I am not furnishing an American or European part.

It's rare that I am required to do so.

16. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Just for the record, trench gun configuration Model 97's are not legal for Cowboy Action competition.

Ken Rucker

17. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Had one. Rough gritty action. Quit cowboy shooting. Send me $397 and I will send you a nice original 1897 with some original blue and threaded for Tru chokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gun copys
how to retrofit a norinco model 97
norinco 97 shotgun for sale

norinco 97 trench gun for sale

winchester 1897 copy
winchester 97 copy
winchester 97 pump copy
winchester model 97 copies