1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Norfolk, Virginia

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by trapperwads, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Several months ago two newspaper reporters were beaten by a group of black youths. Fox news says they were returning from a movie. Their car struck by a rock or brick. The male got out to confront and was attacked. Both required hospital treatment. The frantic call to 911 was aired by Fox after several months of stonewalling by authorities. Three of the assailants were turned loose and the fourth with a slap on the wrist, according to reports. Reporters have brought suit against the police. Their own newspaper did not cover the story. A resident wrote to Bill Oreily saying black on white crime is quite common in Norfolk. Are the Police corrupt or cowardly? Anybody in the Norfolk area that can confirm or deny this story? ed nichols

2. trapperwads

Looked up the crime rate on the internet. Norfolk is safer than 6% of US cities. Thats right only six percent. WOW! Chamber of Commerce should advertise. ed

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was laid over at Norfolk when in the Marine Corp in 1962 for three weeks. Black on white crime was an issue then also. We never went out alone

4. trapperwads

CuibanCigar2000, thanks for your input and your service to our country. Usually when city officials are asked about these issues they all cite the same fairytale. Not enough cops...not enough money. Yeah just throw more money at it as long as the taxpayers foot the bill for your incompetence. Well...look at your Obamaman he says cut down the size of military and use them more effectively along with advances in technology. So...follow your leader...use what you have more effectively...earn it and maybe the taxpayers will give you a bigger budget. ed

5. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

In the 50s and 60s Norfolk (pronounced "naw-phuck") was known as a "Navy Town." Prostitution, narcotics, racism, poverty, fast times. James Brown used to perform there regularly. If a guy wanted to go "downtown," he went with a group of buddies or he ran the risk of not coming back. Luther Lassiter was the big daddy of gambling and Ward's Corner was a place to get a Sunday paper and a pizza without getting mugged. Selden Arcade was a place where you could buy fresh fish and produce and where you could get your shoes repaired by a little old lady who kept a half smoked cigarette in her teeth. A lot of effort was put into cleaning the place up in the late 60s and early 70s. Waterside, Harbor Fest and the Battleship Missouri have emerged as big tourist draws but are only marginally successful. Like they say, you can put lipstick on a pig, but she's still a pig. The only reason I've been to Norfolk in the last ten years was to go to the funeral of my wife's aunt.

Norfolk is a cesspool. The Virginian Pilot and Ledger Star are pinko rags and the city council is as honorable as the D.C. council.

If you don't have to go there, don't. JMHO.

6. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I was born in Norfolk in 1956. Moved away sometime 1959/60. My mother left before my father was able to kill her. VERY MEAN DRUNK!!! I have always wanted to go back to see where I was born but maybe not now after what you guys are saying.....Dan.

7. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

The incident described was settled some months ago -not withstanding this there are a continued strings of shootings - Newport News (across the harbor from Norfolk) really is a shooting gallery - so many they should really have a rangemaster - My favorite news program is channel 13 at 11PM (WVEC) which I refeer to as the "rape and murder channel", Still, in Norfolk one shouldl probably avoid the "numbered streets" e. g. 26th street
    The surrounding cities, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk are quite calm

On the plus side we have a fine Trap and Skeet club at NAS Oceana (open to the public) 3 trap, 3 skeet, one wobble trap, 5-stand - just off Potters Road
    Come visit us

8. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

What I am about to say is not politically correct.

I have lived in Tidewater VA all my life and unfortunately we have a problem that, like the crazy uncle in the family, we cant and dont talk about.I suspect other cities both north and south have similar issues.

Before you peg me as a racist red neck, let me tell you that as a shipyard executive I have did everything in my power to train and promote deserving and hard working black people, and indeed I promoted many hundreds of them.

There are parts of the cities of Norfolk,Portsmouth ,Newport News and Hampton that one passes through at their own risk, especially after dark.This is particularly dangerous if you are white, driving a nice automobile and look vulnerable. Being a macho CCW type doesnt help much as acts of violence are apt to be random and unexpected.

To get out of a car at 26th St and Brambleton to confront young boistrous Blacks is not just nuts, it's suicidal. Same for Effingham St in Portsmouth, 25 and J in Newport News and La Salle and Pembroke in Hampton. Gun shots in these areas are frequent and more often than not random. The shooters are young balck males.

Usually the victems of the gunshots are also young balck males; but often they are innocent bystanders, most recently a 27 year old black mother who rushed outside to get her 5 and 7 year old in doors when she heard gunfire in Newport News. The media usually characterize the perpetrators as " turning their lives around"and about to get on the straight and narrow. Bull Shit.

The white community can not and does not talk much about it ,at least not publically.The VA Pilot and their editors are no exception. Moreover, the leadership in the balck community does not address the issue head on. They retreat to: "its a result of poverty, the education system, lack of jobs etc. Believe me there are plenty of jobs in Tidewater FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT A CRIMINAL RECORD.

Until we get serious about stopping and searching or otherwise confronting people who are suspected of carrying weapons illegally ( which we wont) and locking away people who commit crimes with a gun ( we wont) this will continue.

When I retired, I was faced with "do I get a CCW and live in a changing neighborhood, go to a marginal grocery store when I am old, or do I move to a safer neighborhood."

After a confrontation with 2 of my neighbors Pit Bulls (you can guess who owned those) on my morning walk I chose to move from the city I grew up in and loved, and retreated to a gated community where I have not heard a random gun shot nor seen a Pit Bull.I was fortunate in that I could afford to move many can not.

Until we as a society confront this issue head on we will continue to be shocked at events such as happened to the 2 young reporters. O'Rielly is right to call out the City of Norfolk and the VA Pilot.

Jim

9. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

please correct "have did" to "have done".

Jim

10. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I can guarantee that Chicago is worse, only most crime in inner city is black on black due to the limited number of whites to attack. Home to Obama, Emanual, Jackson Jr. & Sr. Leaders of the pack

11. trapperwads

Shipbuilder...I am not politically correct and I don't care. I would vote in a heartbeat for Allen West, Herman Cain or Condoleeza Rice..but I am damn sick of being called a racist for saying anything that disagees with a black stance on anything. This borders on denying my freedom of speech. I want the gangbangers arrested and locked up no matter what religion race or creed. I really don't care if they kill each other but when they kill innocents and then our so called leaders want gun confiscation...enough is enough. Stop trying to baby these thugs with well only one parent, poverty and other such oral diareah and attack the real problem..thugs..no slap on the wrist...no community service..no lilly livered judges. Get em in jail! ed nichols

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The same thing happened in Tampa, Fl this past year. It would seem to follow most military towns but the problem is not the military personnel. A young white airmans car broke down and he had to walk home. A group of blacks confronted him and asked for a dollar. When he reached in his pocket he was hit and it seems that they just took turns hitting and kicking him. I, having raised two kids of mixed parents don't feel I racial but I can honestly say that I have never been nervous around a group of young whites and have never felt confortable around a group of young blacks. Say what you will but this problem is found in every medium to large city in America that I have been. Jackie B.

13. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

funny. i served 7 years in the norfolk area.
    retired here.
    lived in va beach and now in suffolk. im still here.
    been in this area since 1990.
    all depends where you go. if you look for trouble youll find it.
    norfolk is no better or worse than any other city.
    it has great gun shops, and as mentioned, nas oceana has a great range. i use to work there too.
    seems to be more b on b violence than b on w.
    portsmouth seems to be more dangerous than norfolk, yet i shop in portsmouth all the time. i never feel threatened.
    so i think its all perspective.
    in conn where i came from, bridgeport was tuffer, but again i never felt scared.
    must be my new england (youz gots to be joking) attitude that keeps me going.
    or maybe 22 years in the navy did it, with the last 7 being with the SEALS.
    i like it here. 65 tomorrow while 2 hours west its 20 deg.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

That is all over the states. Here where I live about 12 black high school kids would gang up and beat up white College kids asses at night. When caught they were just charged with assualt and not a hate crime. But if it were white kids beating up black college kids they would have been charged with a hate crime. That is just the way it is all over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.