1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nora Ross 2

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Sorry for the extra thread, but I didn't want to hi-jack others' threads.

I've been reading about your hold points, and also read the Rudy Etchen Q&A above. Rudy advised holding low on the house, also. I've read that you are a one-eyed shooter, not sure about Rudy.

Lots of reading nowdays implies that many top shooters hold higher and have less gun movement.

So, here's my question? (I know I need to try various hold points for myself, this is for discussion and reinforcement.)

I am a slow-paced, deliberate person. I am currently a two-eyed shooter. Holding a high hold-point, say parallel to the ground, has caused me some problems on certain birds. If I don't see them right away, I feel rushed.

Holding low on the house would seem to contradict my natural slow pace, but seeing the bird earlier would give me more time to find it and swing, not less. I'd have to swing longer and faster.

For two-eyed shooting, is holding low passe? Do I need to train myself to hold higher and react quicker?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Danny

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I am a 2 eyed shooter with over 250,000 targets. Until last year my avg. has been over 95 for close to 20 years. I have tried everything. This is what I have found over the years. Oh, I am left handed, so reverse this if you are a righty. My 100's & 200's have all been broken with the following. Post 1, about 2 ft high and just inside the corner looking for the target to the right of the gun. Post 2 & 3 1 1/2 ft high to the left of the exit point of the hardest left and looking to the right of the gun. Post 4 & 5 under top of house and hold for straight away, looking to right of gun. I will usually start moving the gun higher over time, I will then start missing birds, thus a 95-96 avg. I went to the 27 doing this as a weekend shooter and broke 2 98's at the Grand the holds were the same but under the top of the house. This works for me. I have taken instructions from Nora twice, Frank Little, Kay Ohye(3) and Earl Scripture(2). Each had slightly different height holds but all insisted seeing the target quickly was necessary.

3. ned408

ned408 Member

Danny. Yes, a two eyed shooter can hold low on the house. There are several great shooters that presently do this. The first one that comes to mind is Ricky Marshall. Whatever a shooter can do to improve the way he/she sees the target(better,faster) is always a benefit. If you have more questions, call my cell 859-473-1622. Nora