1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NORA & RANDY ROSS CLINIC in Harrisburg, PA (PICS)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Harrisburg Hunters' & Anglers' Association will host two one-day clinics by Nora and Randy Ross on Saturday, April 17th and Sunday, April 18th. Singles and handicap will be the main focus each day with doubles covered as time and light permit. We do plan to start a little earlier than usual both days to enable good doubles instruction and shooting, however. The club is located northeast of Harrisburg and less than five miles from Exit 72 of I-81.

The cost of the clinic will be $230, which includes targets, and each day will be limited to 10 students. Seats can be reserved by mailing a deposit of $100 to me; personal checks are okay and should be made payable to "HH&A."

Don't wait to hold your seat - every time I have booked a clinic in this area, especially with Nora and Randy, each day has sold out.

For more information and directions, please contact me at the email address above (drop the "x") or by telephone at (717) 512-0250.

Ed

2. AveragEd

UP for Monday.

Ed

3. AveragEd

Two spots gone for Saturday & one for Sunday. Thanks for the inquires.

Ed

4. AveragEd

Both days are about half-filled at this point.

Below is a photo of Nora reviewing video with the students at her last clinic in this area.

[​IMG]

Ed

5. AveragEd

Seats are going at a steady clip - about one a day.

Most of us can remember Tina Turner being referred to as "the hardest working girl in show business." Well, I've always said that Nora is the hardest working girl in the clinic business. Below are a couple of photos with her students on a rainy day in central Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed

6. AveragEd

Up for the weekend.

Ed

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks Ed.

8. AveragEd

If it says anything about the quality of this clinic, an ATA All-American signed up for it over the weekend.

Ed

9. AveragEd

We're down to just a couple of seats for Saturday and five for Sunday. The clinics are still almost two months away, so you know they're going to fill. If your thinking about taking it, think faster!

If it helps anyone with questions about what a clinic is like, here is a copy-and-paste of the text from my August 2005 column in Shotgun Sports Magazine in which I described a day in the recently-completed set of clinics that Nora and Randy conducted in this area.

Want to shoot better?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – taking a clinic is the best investment you can make in your shooting. I just returned home from three days of clinics at my gun club and that opinion was even further reinforced by the experience. With Phil Kiner no longer traveling the country conducting his clinics, I was seeking someone to replace him, as we had hosted his clinics for as many as six days each year for several years. I think we found a keeper in Nora Ross.

You no doubt know Nora as Nora Martin, the very successful one-eyed female shooter from Kentucky. Last fall, she and Randy Ross were married, thus the name change (although Randy says it might have caused less confusion if he had become Randy Martin). Nora has many years of experience conducting clinics, as she assisted Kay Ohye with his for quite a while before going out on her own in the early 1990s. We last had her at our club for a one-day clinic in the spring of 1994 and I had forgotten what dynamic, energetic, enthusiastic teacher she is. A lot of shooters, myself included, use only one eye and Nora has always been THE premier instructor for us “peepers.” Now, her clinics are even more complete; Randy is a very good two-eyed shooter who spent much of 2004 assisting Leo Harrison III with his clinics and can lend that perspective when he is available to accompany his bride.

Taking a one-day clinic costs a couple of hundred dollars and many shooters hesitate to spend that much for instruction when it is available at no charge on their gun club’s front porch. Well, there’s instruction and then there’s “instruction,” if you get my drift. In the case of the front porch “instruction,” you get exactly what you pay for. There is no substitute for having a pair (or two) of eyes watching you shoot when those eyes belong to one of the country’s very best shooters who has spent years analyzing the sport and experimenting with new methods until finding ones that work. And when they work as well as Nora’s have for her, you owe it to yourself to give them a fair chance, too. She started out as a behind-the-barn shooter like a lot of you and learned to shoot well enough to win the hard way. Her stories about her progress in the sport really endear her to her students and she tries to convey the message that at one time, she was a less-skilled shooter than most of her students.

I’m going to describe a day with Nora and Randy Ross and am including some photos taken last weekend. The weatherman was not kind to us for this clinic and the area probably set some low temperatures records for late April. We had light to moderate rain all three days, with fog on Friday and Saturday and wind, sleet and small hail on Sunday! But we had fun and I think it is very safe to say that everyone learned something.

The day starts at 9:00 a.m. with some opening remarks and an agenda for the day from Nora and Randy. Then it’s out to the trap field for 25 singles with Nora filming the shooters and Randy making note of each one’s peculiarities. As Nora stresses, they do not want to change anyone’s shooting style; rather, they want to make the job of breaking targets easier. She basically spends the day showing you easier ways and that’s what she’s doing in the photo of her holding a target while on the roof of a trap house. In that photo, she is showing the students where to look for a target from each post – since there is a certain portion of the trap house roof from which every legal target will emerge, why work harder by looking at the entire roofline when you only have to watch three or four feet of it? After perhaps an hour of instruction like that, followed by another 25 singles, the students adjourn to the classroom for lunch and a review of the video.

It is during that video review that deficiencies in the students’ mechanics are discussed. No one person is picked on – everyone gets critiqued equally – and those weaknesses are pointed out on the TV screen. The value of the video absolutely cannot be overstated. In the case of a junior shooter who had broken a 99 in a handicap event at the 2004 Grand American, a slow-motion close-up replay of his head, shoulder and gunstock revealed that he moved his head upward slightly as he called for almost every target. Could that be why he lost that one target last August? Although he finished a very credible 14th in that event following the ensuing shoot-off, perhaps he could have instead been shooting off against the handful of other shooters with 100s. That same view made it obvious that when a friend of mine relaxed his finger to fire his release trigger, he was actually relaxing both of his hands to the point that the gun moved forward and then backwards when it went off. That kind of loose gun hold can change where the gun shoots and make the second target of doubles a real adventure. I had mentioned to him a year or so ago that I thought I saw his barrel move forward in my peripheral vision while shooting with him but we both dismissed it as an optical illusion. Numerous videotape replays assure you not only that it’s really happening but, even more importantly, why.

Then another 50 singles targets are shot, with Nora and Randy constantly coaching and reminding shooters of things they are to be trying. Handicap is next, and Nora spends another half-hour or so driving home the differences between shooting at a 16-yard target and one from longer yardage. A hundred handicap targets are shot with the students performing shooting exercises along the way. The last trap of handicap is videoed and the group goes back into the classroom for a before-and-after look at the students’ mechanics followed by some doubles instruction. The students then shoot a 50-target “doubles exercise” followed by 50 pairs of regulation doubles. The day concludes about 6:00 p.m. with a review and question-and-answer session in the classroom.

What you will get out of a clinic depends upon the nature of the flaws in your technique. But there are things that affect all of us that, in retrospect, are so simple yet it takes a person with the dedication to the sport of Nora Ross to discover them. Here’s a free sample. Mount your gun while looking into a mirror. If you really get your face down on the stock as you should, the skin on your cheek will roll upwards and can cause your master eye to become partially closed. That’s not a good thing, especially for one-eyed shooters. Now try mounting the gun with your mouth open. Amazingly, doing so stretches the skin of your cheek so it can’t be rolled up into your eye. Have any of the All-Americans on your gun club porch ever suggested that?

Most instructors charge $175 per student for a one-day, ten-student clinic. The host club obviously will charge you its going rate for 300 practice targets ($30 to $36 in this area) and you’ll have to either buy a lunch or take something with you. I offer clinics with instruction, targets and a hoagie for lunch included for $215. Think about what it costs you to shoot for two days at your state shoot – one day if you play any options – and you’ll realize that clinics really are relatively inexpensive.

You owe it to yourself to try one. I promise that you won’t be sorry.

That article was written six years ago and Nora and Randy's charge per student has only increased $25 over that span of time. In fact, the total charge for the day has only risen $15 but lunch is no longer included.

Anyone still having unanswered questions is welcome to call me at (717) 512-0250. I know a lot of shooters have never taken a clinic and probably have questions they don't want to ask "in public."

Ed

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...and if you've never taken a Ross-Martin clinic in the rain you're in for an experience!

MK

11. AveragEd

I took four reservations so far today. Saturday is now filled and there only are a few seats left for Sunday. In the past, I've almost always opened a third day on Friday to handle the overflow but the job I have now doesn't allow me to do that. If you want in this clinic, call or email me NOW!

Below is a photo of Nora filming a student while Randy takes notes under the supervision of their dog (whose names escapes me).

[​IMG]

Ed

12. ned408

ned408 Member

Dear Ed;

I have got to let everyone know....That's 'Macy' Going on 11 now and still goes to the shoots and clinics with us!!

Good Shooting Everyone Nora Ross

13. AveragEd

I think this clinic is full. I say "think" because I am holding a Saturday spot for someone who called me to reserve it and was going to call back to finalize things. If I don't hear from him by Monday, I'll move a Sunday guy who wanted Saturday to that spot and have a Sunday opening.

If you're my Saturday reservation, call me!

I have three husbands and wives, one father and daughter, two juniors, three who have taken Nora and Randy's clinic before and a chairshooter coming!

Ed
    (717) 512-0250

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

review nora ross clinic